Beckers and Food

I'm in
a0a537f4e2838ba922953fdcb860401b.jpg

Wasabi is not for everyone. Cayenne will do the trick though. Then there is also sirachi. Plenty of options out there.

I hate wasabi. Too much like horseradish. Hate that, too. I use cayenne pepper under the tuna.

That's because "wasabi" that you get most places (like 99%) actually IS horseradish. The real deal is extremely difficult to come by.

mmMMmmm....love me some sushi. My youngest (she's 11) loves it, too. She's gonna be an expensive date. I love my 15, too....but the amount you gotta keep the blade wet for cutting up maki doesn't make it seem like a really good choice for sushi, if you're making it......though it is the slicey-est of the line-up. So, I did cut some fish up with mine for, surprisingly enough, fish tacos.

20927185904_4943c514a2_b.jpg

Wasabi is not for everyone. Cayenne will do the trick though. Then there is also sirachi. Plenty of options out there.
Heat doesn't bother me, but the taste, and type of reaction of horseradish, or wasabi isn't something I enjoy at all. I really like siracha mayo.
That's because "wasabi" that you get most places (like 99%) actually IS horseradish. The real deal is extremely difficult to come by.

mmMMmmm....love me some sushi. My youngest (she's 11) loves it, too. She's gonna be an expensive date. I love my 15, too....but the amount you gotta keep the blade wet for cutting up maki doesn't make it seem like a really good choice for sushi, if you're making it......though it is the slicey-est of the line-up. So, I did cut some fish up with mine for, surprisingly enough, fish tacos.
I've had the real deal wasabi, and just don't like it. I wish I had a "real" sushi bar in my area. All I have access to are way too generic. Everything is tailored to the local, south east redneck taste. So, lately I've been into making my own. I've even been thinking about taking some classes. Some of the sushi I see on Instagram is crazy delicious looking. Real food art. You should check it out. And yeah, the 15 is just a little thick for sushi cuts, but it makes a hell of a prep knife for everything but sashimi. I use my Joyce Chen for that.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453523010.776770.jpg

I've had the real deal wasabi, and just don't like it. I wish I had a "real" sushi bar in my area. All I have access to are way too generic. Everything is tailored to the local, south east redneck taste. So, lately I've been into making my own. I've even been thinking about taking some classes. Some of the sushi I see on Instagram is crazy delicious looking. Real food art. You should check it out. And yeah, the 15 is just a little thick for sushi cuts, but it makes a hell of a prep knife for everything but sashimi. I use my Joyce Chen for that.
View attachment 608872

I was gifted adult ed sushi classes - very fun. It's not hard to make, the equipment needed is fairly cheap....the only tough part is getting sushi grade fish and the cost of ingredients. Lucky for me we have an asian market that carries all that stuff about a mile from my house. And I live on the coast....almost literally. Saltwater tidal estuary in my backyard. I know this might be anathema to this thread, but I make a lot of sushi with fried tofu (found at the asian market) for people who are squeamish about eating raw fish (or my veg friends, though I've never poisoned anyone - so far as I know ;)) like my oldest daughter - who likes fish...just not uncooked.

I was gifted adult ed sushi classes - very fun. It's not hard to make, the equipment needed is fairly cheap....the only tough part is getting sushi grade fish and the cost of ingredients. Lucky for me we have an asian market that carries all that stuff about a mile from my house. And I live on the coast....almost literally. Saltwater tidal estuary in my backyard. I know this might be anathema to this thread, but I make a lot of sushi with fried tofu (found at the asian market) for people who are squeamish about eating raw fish (or my veg friends, though I've never poisoned anyone - so far as I know ;)) like my oldest daughter - who likes fish...just not uncooked.

The only place I have is Whole Foods. Not bad, but expensive. Real expensive. You, probably, are in a great area for sushi. Might have to take some classes, or find some instructional vids. Hey, we might have to start a dedicated sushi thread. [emoji2][emoji106]

Ooooo sushi, and I was just daydreaming about the ocean fishing trip I had not too long ago.

We had yellowtail sashimi straight out of the ocean!
Although it was absolutely delicious, I was surprised to find that freshest doesn't mean tastiest. Oh well, things always taste better when you put in the work to catch it yourself :thumbup:

Ooooo sushi, and I was just daydreaming about the ocean fishing trip I had not too long ago.

We had yellowtail sashimi straight out of the ocean!
Although it was absolutely delicious, I was surprised to find that freshest doesn't mean tastiest. Oh well, things always taste better when you put in the work to catch it yourself :thumbup:

That's awesome! I had some sushi last night from nama, and some for lunch today. It was too damn good. Just wish my boy was old enough to DD

Back