Beckers Bite(might be graphic to some)

I was chopping/splitting/batoning up some left over 2x4's saturday night to burn in my buddies wood burning patio heater chimnea thing.., I was just about finished when my buddy walked over and started talking to me.., I glanced over to say something to him and this happened!!!

P3230036.jpg

A 1 1/2 inch gash all the way to the bone!! After 2 1/2 hours of sitting in the ER I got 6 stitches on the outside and 1 on the inside to stitch up the tendon casing!! The Doc said I just barely missed the artery and tendon., but I did catch get the tendon casing whatever that is.

The BK-9 however didn't suffer so much as a scratch! :p

It handled the chopping of the 2x4's with ease.., even batoning through several knots was pretty easy going! Afterwards my friend said "I bet all that chopping dulled the edge pretty good"., I said " I doubt it" and pulled up my pant leg and shaved a patch of leg hair off without so much as a snag!! Although I'm going to have to train my BK9 to stop biting me, I'm pretty impressed with it!!

once they taste blood, you are doomed :)

Bladite

Thanks for posting Fatheadhill. This is an important reminder to give those edges the respect they demand. Just the other day I got winged just wiping down a blade. My wife reminded me to slow down and pay attention.
I hope your hand is better real soon.:)

This is an important reminder to give those edges the respect they demand.

Exactly! Which was kind of my point in showing ya'll this.., but also because I have a pretty self depricating sense of humor and don't mind being the village idiot for a while!! lol :D

This could've been alot worse, but luckily I was down to a pretty thin piece of wood and wasn't swinging the knife very hard. I'm pretty certain I would've lost a finger or maybe two if I'd been swinging it like I was with a whole 2x4!

All in all, it's a lesson learned, albeit the hard way!

My finger is going to be fine as far as I can tell., there is some nerve damage on that finger anyway(from a Kershaw Leek :p) but I haven't notice any new numbness or any loss of movement with the exception of it being sore.

Wow! that looks like a pretty solid hit. Good thing you didnt take the finger off.

A little more power and that finger would have popped right off.:eek:
Glad that you are healing up without any new problems. Looks and sounds like something I would do. :eek:

Awww how cute she gave you a love bite now you two are bounded. Sure you will make a lovely couple. Be careful though those big mammas can turn into mean bitches treat her well.

Knives sometimes do get hungry and thirsty when they have to do alot of work.

I'm glad it wasn't worse, but thanks for sharing because, as others have said, it's a good reminder not to get distracted while using a knife.

I have picked up 3 different peoples fingers off the cutting floor and helped them to the nurse, you were lucky buddy! As an auxillary 1st aider who worked on the line,I have seen and dealt with so many injuries...brachial arterial bleeds, amputations etc.!!! Big knives or even smaller sharp ones can sever bone a lot easier than most people realize.

We used to "practice" on carcasses slated for the rendering hole and would go Norman Bates with cleavers and butcher knives etc. It is incredible to see and deliver that kind of damage done and not little pieces on a hook like Lynn Thompson, a whole hog with bone and skin!!
BTW the bk-9 is a very good large fleshing and butchering knife, very similar geometry and good thin slicing edge with a little work.
Polysporin the hell out of that finger man.
regards

Back