BeckerWest Fall 2023. Nov. 9th-12th

Jonny1280

Where’s the beer?
November 9th-12th

It’s that time for all the West Coast Beckerheads to unite! I believe this will be our 22nd gathering.
This year it will be at the same location as last Spring. Just South of Sisters , Or.

What can you expect when you show up to BeckerWest?
The weather here this time of year can be quite chilly. Please dress accordingly and have a shelter that will keep you warm at night.
There will be food, fire, strong drink, contests, and general merriment! ...You get the idea.
Thursday- Arrive and set up camp.
Friday- More guests arrive, folks hanging out, setting up camp, a lot of B.S.ing, a fun night around the camp.
Saturday- Big breakfasts, contests, lot's of food, usually not as rowdy as Friday night.
Sunday- Breakfast, camp clean up, trash is picked up, and everyone is usually out by Noonish.

Contests will include,(but are not limited to):
-Chopping
-Tomahawk throwing
-Pistola target shooting
-BB gun shooting and/or Slingshot competition
-Fire making

"What should I bring?"
-Bacon
-Camp stove
-Food, drink, camp chairs for sure.
-Tent, hammock, or some form of warm shelter.
-Trade items
-Bring some TP, there are no restrooms.
-Folding tables and pop-up canopies are always nice to have and welcomed.
-Knives, guns, and gear. Ear and eye protection.
-Bring whatever you need to spend two nights in the woods.
-More bacon

Rules: Petty simple...

1. -Absolutely NO guns and booze! If you're drinking, you're not packing.
2. -NO dogs!
3. -Take your trash home with you please!

These have been steadfast rules. They work. Please don’t plan on breaking these 3 very simple rules.

Driving directions:
When in Sisters go South on S. Elm st.
Go 7.3 miles and turn right on Whychus creek
after 3.1 miles take a right at the V in the road
Go 2 miles, cross a wooden bridge and head right
0.6 miles after the bridge, the campsite is on the right.

If you have any questions please contact myself or FALER via pm.
I'll update this this post if more info is available.

There are a lot of folks at these gatherings with a lot of great knowledge to share.
If you haven't attended a BeckerWest gathering, come on out! It's a lot of fun!
If you can't get the time off work, well... you might as well quit your job because you won't want to miss this!
I’ll see you there!

I’ll update this post with names of those who will be attending:
FAL’ER
Padruig and Jakob
Bill Siegle
Hurley
Pease and Jon
Wapiti

Last edited:
Well, I'm gonna try to make this one. As long as the roads are passable.

Beth suggested I stay in a hotel in Sisters and drive out in the morning each day. I said, WTF kind of a-hole do you think I am? 😂

Sadly I will not be able to attend this fall.

My mother in-law's 70th birthday is this year. She has been struggling lately and really wanted a coastal retreat (her favorite area), and the 9-12 weekend was best for her.

I am very bummed about missing the gathering, but love my mother in law.
I had a slight hope they would be on different weekends, but my hope/prayer power is week!
I will be thinking of you all, and will raise a toast of Balvenie to you.

I look forward to seeing photos.
Brome

bummer about being in-between jobs, but cool that you're getting in plenty of shop time.
hoping to finish up my falchion tomorrow.

Update for me.
My mother in law ended up having a bit of a turn in her health, and is not up to going out at this time, so we postponed our weekend at the coast.
So that means, I should be showing up, now!
Hope that is not a big disappointment for y'all...!

I will bring the target, etc, if FA'LER can bring the backstop.
Hope to be there later in the morning on Friday, at the latest.

On my return from a trip to Central Oregon, I swung by the camp on Tuesday, and everything looks good. All the firewood is gone, so we will have to bring some, or be prepared to scavenge from the landscape.
Just a hint of snow here and there, so no issues on that front so far. We will see what this storm over the weekend might bring.
I would recommend taking the western route via the15 rd. The eastern route via the 16 rd is badly wash boarded once you leave pavement.

IMG_4151 by ursidae8, on Flickr

IMG_4152 by ursidae8, on Flickr

IMG_4153 by ursidae8, on Flickr

IMG_4156 by ursidae8, on Flickr

And just to make sure, I also checked in at the Sisters Ranger station, and there are no burn restrictions in place at this time.

I am excited to see Bill's latest work!

See you soon,
Brome

Sooo very pumped for a great camp out! I’m rarely a camp cook so if there’s any groceries I can donate to the cause, feel free to shout out a list! 👍

If you want you could get some potatoes and a bread to go with the meat 🍖🍖

Last edited:
I was hoping there would be a gap in these systems for the end of this week, we shall see. I would suggest coming loaded for bear as usual, and throw those tire chains in. Could be rain, could be wind, could be snow.

Let me know if I can bring anything for the stew, etc.!
I’ve got garlic and Delicata squash which some folks like in stew and some don’t.
I can also bring fresh Fuji, Janagold or granny Smith apples.

I’ll bring the big hot water coffee pot as well as the camp cooking tripod.

Brome

I stopped yesterday day and got Jon some good thermals that should help him with the cold. I’m bringing my chain saw but it’s NO Tom saw.

Back