Been awhile

RSL19

Dealer / Materials Provider
(Old name was newyork) I’ve had maybe 5 or 6 FF over the years and had to sell my last two. One was my edc Monarch, a few years ago when money was tight.
Money is still tight but I’ve been looking again. I recently bought something from an economy standpoint but it got me looking at FF all over again. My favorite traditional, outdoor custom fixed blade maker.

I’m curious what you guys would suggest (not buying for a while but I’m researching), for an all round outdoor, woods knife. Something in the 4” range.

I’m guessing 3/32, 1/8 or 5/32. My monarch was 1/8 and that seemed stout enough for a lot. I wasn’t babying it. I didn’t try batonning it.

it wouldn’t suck if the knife could also skin game if called upon but not absolutely necessary.

I had a similar thread for sub $200 knives recently, so don’t hate me for repeating lol

thanks guys

Rich

I'd look first at trying to find a mid-tech kephart. Then I'd look at the toboggan (it's a sleeper) and then the recluse. The Solo and bush hermit also come to mind.

Got my attention with the Bush Hermit and I used to want a Recluse bad.

I also remember loving the looks of the KE Bushie and Bushcrafter.

custom Kephart is awesome. I had one and would again.

All-Purpose(4"ish):
DPR, Kephart, and Recluse

Mid-size(3-3.5")
Toboggan, Packrat, and Handyman(the Toboggan and Packrat are both outstanding hunting/skinning knives)

One more to look at is the Low Country. Superb handle, and a robust blade..

I could easily see carrying a Handyman in 3/32”. That’s another I used to want and never got around to.

It really does look good. The Low Country too. That’s the issue with Fiddleback. So many are nice.
What thickness do you guys like to go for all purpose? Something that can slice very well but not too thin for taking on hard tasks.

It really does look good. The Low Country too. That’s the issue with Fiddleback. So many are nice.
What thickness do you guys like to go for all purpose? Something that can slice very well but not too thin for taking on hard tasks.

I just picked up a Low Country a couple of weeks ago. I am really impressed with it so far(just need more carry time with it).

Although I tend towards thinner stock, if I was looking for a do-all knife I'd go with a 1/8th..

I figured 1/8 would be it.

I do remember being fond of the Monarch for all things. I think it could stay on my list along with these others mentioned tonight. Probably could use a little longer handle for unless it’ll get carried a lot.

Last edited:
Is it me or has the Kephart changed some?
No mentions of the Bushcrafter?

Last edited:
Welcome back. Sounds like 1/8 is good. Someone said the handle on the Monarch is very comfortable and the blade is stout enough for work. Good luck on the choice.

Hey R RSL19 Seems to me you need a few of them (not a bad thing :D). I think the BC or BH in a 1/8" would get many tasks done. The BC and BH are some of my favs. I'd go heavy duty 5/32" Camp knife style for chopping and batonning. That's just me. But you are absolutely correct, ALL of the fiddlebacks are beautiful knives and useful in so many ways. Don't forget to have a 3/32" HB or HM for cutting up some grilled grub.

Honestly, I like what everyone above has said. Can't go wrong with any of those suggestions. Guess you better make some room for a new collection of Fiddleback Forge Knives!! :thumbsup:

Back