Been having fun with this one! Friedrich Dick "Trimming Knife"

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
A really interesting piece of work! A lot like a combination of a chef's knife and a Chinese-style slicing cleaver. The broad blade is a flat grind of true taper, which makes the angle of the primary grind very narrow. These makes the blade exceptionally thin as it approaches the cutting edge, and when combined with the continuous curvature and deep belly of the blade allows for a very long and almost circular cutting stroke. I can still use the point to a reasonable degree (if I was to need anything more nimble I usually use a paring knife anyhow) and I can making push cuts with the tip as well. It tracks very nicely through the cut for very flat slices, and I can carry a whole cubed chicken beast on the flat of the blade when I go to transfer it to the pan. :D The handle is almost stupidly comfortable, as well. Seems to hold a very good edge so far!

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

That would be interesting, but would eliminate the ability to make a rolling cut with the tip, which is really handy for its original intended purpose of trimming meat. My lady is pretty picky about how her chicken is prepared, and if there's a blood spot in a piece she won't eat it so I trim them out. With this fella the slicing action of that rolling stroke allows me to very precisely take just a narrow sliver out of the meat, removing just the offending spot and saving the rest. :):thumbup:

Interesting knife! I once saw an Asian butcher break down a pig with a similar shaped cleaver. He went through the spine and ribs with his, so it was probably stouter than yours.

For that sort of task you'd want one of THESE ones. :D

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

I ALSO have one of those. :D

That is a pretty cool big a knife. CCK makes a similar knife for breaking down primal cuts of protein. I can see how it would be useful for macro butchering, having a hard time seeing it work on smaller game. But who cares....it looks friggin awesome.

Yeah it's never gonna' be a bird & trout knife. :D It's a great stand-in for a chef's knife, though. A heck of a slicer and does some things no other I've seen can! Meat & veggies alike are easily rendered with it. :)

Back