Been waiting a long time for these.

This is turning out to be one heck of a week. First my buddy P. J. Tomes tells me my knife is ready. It arrived yesterday.

34846428.jpg

You can read more about this knife on this thread, scroll down a bit.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266040&highlight=Tomes

Love it! Looks like a knife that I would carry and use everyday. I'm assuming that you are going to do just that?

Ok Phil, you say that this is turning out to be a heck of a week and then you say, "First my buddy P. J. Tomes tells me my knife is ready." So what happened second?

By the way, that is a very nice knife.

Dan you're right I bought this as a user. I've been carrying it since I got it i the slip sheath PJ supplies with it. Or it's out on my desk at work. I particularly like the feel of the knife with the small pen blade out. I mean what more do you really need to open an envelope or a package?

Steven, give P. J. a call at 434-263-8662 (after 11AM EST) tell him Phil sent you. As far as the waiting time, I know this knife was one of three that he made. I don't know if the other two are spoken for, but you might be able to get one for immediate delivery.

Keith, I can't get nothing by you. This is one of several knives I had to put on hold when my business went in the hole after 9-11-01. When I made it back to Blade this year I told the makers that I wanted to get back on their lists again. A couple I even gave the stag I wanted them to use on my knives. There was no set delivery time on any of them. ABS Master Smith P. J. Tomes was the first one to call me to let me know my long awaited knife was ready. :D

I'm pretty sure it was the next day I get an e-mail from John W. Smith, he told me my knife was ready. :D
Now I consider John a friend, but knowing how busy he is I wasn't expecting to see my knife this year. But, he told me that he had forgot an order for the same style of knife and thought he should do mine at the same time. I told him, "You know, sometimes I just feel lucky. "

I saw this knife that Gary Graley had from JW and I fell in love.

6463837.jpg

I told John I wanted that knife in stag, when I had the money and he had the time. I gave him the stag at Blade this year. I haven't received this knife yet, but here's a teaser.

34846376.jpg

There's a few more coming. ;)

Wow, that'll be the third set of scales for that knife!! :D :D

-Michael

Originally posted by Chefget
Wow, that'll be the third set of scales for that knife!! :D :D

-Michael

MIchael, I've been looking at your post for two days, and I have to admit I have no idea what it means? :confused:

A brief history of that beautiful Smith is on the way to you Phil! :)

-Michael

A bit of mistaken identity on the knifes (Mr Graley's Smith has had several sets of scales; gotta learn to read better :) )...both Mr Tomes and Mr Smith make some of the best knives available...congrates Phil!

-Michael

Beautiful knives Phil! It would be hard for me to decide which I would enjoy the most.

Well, this mystery is solved. For the record, the knife I'm geting from John W. Smith is not the knife that Gary Graley owned and then sold. This is a brand new knife. I was on BFC Chat last night and had a chance to talk to John about Michael's concerns. He assured me my knife was made for me. Some of the extras he included are; the bolsters are polished Odin's Eye damasteel stainless Damascus, liners are hand rubbed finish with the interior of them jeweled, the spacer is polished brown canvas micarta and the blade steel is S30V at 58RC. And of course the stag that I gave to John for the knife at Blade 2003. Which for the record was hand picked for me by P. J. Tomes.

Originally posted by Chefget
A bit of mistaken identity on the knifes (Mr Graley's Smith has had several sets of scales; gotta learn to read better :)...
-Michael

And it was sold to BladeLaw and I think he had sold off most of his collection along with that beauty! One I do miss, but a dagger wasn't in the cards for me, beautiful wood though!

Michael, I'll see you in December! you going to be there Saturday night?
G2
my old one...

attachment.php

ps
Nice one PhilL, very nice!

My JW Smith Dagger arrived yesterday and I don't know how any of you guys could part with that other dagger. :rolleyes:
This knife is beautiful.
I've known John for a couple of years, from Chat, Blade Show and ECCKS, but I have to admit I've only handled a couple of his knives. John sells out so quick at shows it's hard to get your hands on one. IMO John's work is about as good as it gets. I couldn't be prouder or happier to own this knife.

Wally, you sure do.
It's been a long time since I had anything to bring to Show & Tell. ;)

You'll never go wrong with J.W.'s knives. That is one SWEET piece you are getting Phil! Love the stag.

Back