"Before you go" veterans of WW II tribute

There were two NPS rangers dressed up as WWII GIs, complete with M-1 Garands, standing along 17th Street at the Mall, adjacent tot he WWII Memorial yesterday, 1/26/06. They were celebrating the sixty-first anniversary of the ending of the Battle of the Bulge They surely did attract a lot of attention from the passing traffic. One veteran of the Battle of the Bulge was overheard to say that they weren't accurate, that th4ey needed about six feet of snow and really sub-freezing temperatures to be accurate.

FullerH said:
There were two NPS rangers dressed up as WWII GIs, complete with M-1 Garands, standing along 17th Street at the Mall, adjacent tot he WWII Memorial yesterday, 1/26/06. They were celebrating the sixty-first anniversary of the ending of the Battle of the Bulge They surely did attract a lot of attention from the passing traffic. One veteran of the Battle of the Bulge was overheard to say that they weren't accurate, that th4ey needed about six feet of snow and really sub-freezing temperatures to be accurate.

My big interest is WWII history. I have been fascinated with it since I was a kid. I always had a book open about it. I go out of my way to thank WWII vets when I recognize them as such. Though they always say that they played a very small role I let them know that no matter how small it was I am thankful for men like them who gave so freely of themselves. In a few years I will be visiting Normandy, France. I want to see firsthand the obstacles our boys had to overcome to free Europe and to pay my respects to those who gave all. I'm sure there will be reenactors around the battlefield as there most always are.

I have many mementos of/from WW II collected over the years,some from family & some donated by older veteran friends. If you are ever in Daytona,I am less than 30 minutes West.
I have books on aviation,naval navigation & communication,weapons....

I followed the war daily reading the papers,Life magazine & by radio .The most impressive announcing was Edward R. Murrow from London with BIg Ben ringing in the background . [ recording. Bell was silent ]

Ernie Pyle kept us well informed,until his untimely death, writing from the lines with the troops in the Pacific theater .

Have seen ships torpedoed just off the beach & tried to help rescue survivors.

Uncle Alan

Uncle Alan,
Thank you for that,it was very special,had to wipe a tear or two away also.
Doug

A great tribute.

The History Channel used to run a great series on Sunday morning. It would devote an hour program to an individual WWII vet who would recall his service and memories of that conflict. They would supplement his story with archival photos and film footage. Occasionally, the veteran would have photos and mementos of his own.

The stories were always very personal and gave a great perspective on the character of the American citizen soldier and the world as he saw it.

Back