• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Belt Grinder Modeled After The JL Grinder

Just as a side comment to the folks commenting about Rob Frink and the KMG. Rob worked on that design with the forum community many years ago and has specifically stated on multiple occasions that he fully supports anybody who wants to build one. Heck, he went out of his way to get me some dimensions when I built my copy. Rob never claimed any right to the KMG design, he simply produces a design that works well, with exceptional quality, at a reasonable price. That's why his grinders are so popular, not because he's cornered the market on the design...

-d

i'm glad this all worked out to both party's satisfaction.
i'm also glad that many in the knife making community largely base their ideals more on ethics than legalities.
in my mind, tom did the right thing by buying the rights to the original machine, and deserves to be the sole manufacturer of that design, whether he has an actual legal leg to stand on or not.
i think enrique has shown some real class and has done everything right since discovering tom's ownership of the design.
i'm really looking forward to seeing his new grinder design in the future.
i'm also eager to see the JL grinders tom has to offer.
hats off to both of you for handling this dilemma with class.

i'm also glad that many in the knife making community largely base their ideals more on ethics than legalities.
in my mind, tom did the right thing by buying the rights to the original machine, and deserves to be the sole manufacturer of that design, whether he has an actual legal leg to stand on or not.
i think enrique has shown some real class and has done everything right since discovering tom's ownership of the design.

Well said and I agree...:thumbup:

Guys, some interesting posts... I don't think I bought a pig in a poke. Sure I could have copied it, but that just didn't seem right to me. Maybe I got taken, I don't think so.

Enrique, and I talked. Enrique is a good guy! He is going to sell the ones he made and then concentrate on the other grinders he makes.

THANKS!

Tom

Tom,

I just want to make it "crystal clear" that no disrespect at all was intended or meant by the "pig in a poke" statement I made. :thumbup: :)

I have had a few of those pigs in my lifetime myself.... :( ... :)
Dealing with one right now in fact that has cost, what is to me; a small fortune.

I am glad ya'll talked and came to resolution.
I wish the best to both of you and hope it works out well for each of you. :thumbup:

I gotta go round up and deal with "my pig" some more. :( :D

Here`s my 1.5 cents worth. I`m glad the two guys got together and worked out a solution that works for both guys. I have seen another grinder Enrique makes and I like it better than the Le`Blanc copy. It has a large contact wheel with a platten that rotates all the way around. It also has a tilting work rest. Possibly he could post a photo of that one as well. This guy is really good at designing grinders. His workmanship is fantastic. If I were a major grinder manufacturer I would hire him as a designer. By the way he is also a great knifemaker. I have had the pleasure of helping him get started in knifemaking. WOW!!!!! What a talent.
Bill Ruple

Bill Ruple has spoken. that should be law.
all good
i wish enrique would send me one of the offending grinders just so i could test it's design
qualities
buzz

I wish I had the $$ to buy one of these grinders. I do want to see the other designs. Why don't one of you build an affordable starter grinder?

Here are some pictures of my other grinder. What is cool about it is that you never have to change attachments on it unless you want to put a small wheel attchment which I'm working on at the time. What I do have is an attachment for doing swedges or false edges on blades but do not have any pictures of it at the time. If intrested it comes with a 2hp motor and a variable speed controller. It's powerfull !!. It has a 3" and an 8" wheel and a rest that is adjustable. Tell me what you guys think of it.

000_0007.jpg

000_0006.jpg

000_0005.jpg

000_0003.jpg

000_0002.jpg

0000000.jpg

Last edited:
I will sell this grinder ready to grind for an introductory price of $2300 or can sell it with out a motor and controller for less. My contact information is ep3757@yahoo.com and my phone number is 956-771-7749

Any questions please post them here so others can see them and I can answer them here and then call me or email me

I'm very much interested in several pics of the horizontal gringer

Leadfoot

Forget the design rights... I'm most skeptical about the Cold Rolled 1045 Plate that the grinder is made from.

Where does one buy CR 1045 plate?

Back