Recommendation? Belt knife question

In the last sale thread of Blade inventory, it was open for quite a while before the 20 spots were gone and there were plenty of options. Sometimes waiting isn’t a bad thing. Once the crazy frenzy is over and most people have the knives, it’s not that hard to get in line.

It also depends sometime on what is available for sale. Wait till there are some Boot Daggers available. There will probably be 60 posts in just a few seconds. I won't be able to buy a knife in a Friday sale for a couple more months. But I preordered a nice DEK1 so I am not complaining.

Right - the last few sales have been slow because they were preceded by a pre-order for the latest model. Without that pre-order, demand would still be crazy high, and batches of 20 would be sold within a minute or two

Reactions: DMG
I've had severall Carouthers and quite a few Survive...way back when Survive was still in Pa.
Their GSO series knives are terrific. I still have three. The Carouthers are also very good, and his HT is about as good as you can get. The S!K knives feel more comfortable in my hand, but that is a personal thing and not universal....
The EDC series of Carothers will run about $300, while the S!K knives are $50 bucks or so less.
Both are super and you'd be happy with either one.

Have you Considered:
Benchmade Hunt 15002-1 Saddle Mountain Skinner Fixed Blade Knife Richlite/S90V?
$212 at BHQ...

While Survive has its fans (some diehard), given their track record I wouldn't (and haven't) purchased from them. If you want to consider the knives, that's your choice... but buy from someone that has already taken the risk & has the knife in hand. I agree with Sonnydaze's opinion on many knives; but didn't like the one survive model I tried (received in trade).
I'll also second the earlier suggestion of checking the Knifemakers section of the Exchange - lots of good knives popping up there, and you can even get something made to your specs. When I get my income back on track, I'll be resuming a discussion toward that end with Robert Erickson.

I have looked at Busse and they are somewhat appealing but they seem to be too thick and heavy. I am going to decide which knives to part with and which Carothers blade to purchase.
Many are thick and heavy. My most used one however is not, it has a nice thin convex grind and slices like crazy. A few other have thinner blades and edges as well, just need to know what you are looking for.

I've owned several Winklers in 3V and 80CRV2. I've been interested in Carothers but I don't think 3V is really for me. The only way to really find out is purchase and use the heck out what you have and figure out what you like. Nothing beats real world personal experience. That's why we are here. (Not my primary purpose in life but hey, I really enjoy sharp stuff)

S Skidoosh I'm curious what put you off about 3v? I personally tend to carry smaller fixed blades, with blade lengths ranging up to around 4"; so the toughness factor is less of an issue for me.

S Skidoosh I'm curious what put you off about 3v? I personally tend to carry smaller fixed blades, with blade lengths ranging up to around 4"; so the toughness factor is less of an issue for me.
I really like "sticky sharpness" and while I can get 3V to a shaving edge I've found i like S90V or K390 better especially on small knives. It is preference issue for me. Also when I look at edge retention 3V is not that great but toughness is awesome.

I really like "sticky sharpness" and while I can get 3V to a shaving edge I've found i like S90V or K390 better especially on small knives. It is preference issue for me. Also when I look at edge retention 3V is not that great but toughness is awesome.
You should go to the Carothers subforum and talk to the users there. Edge retention is really good.

If you've got an itch then scratch it with custom, you'll get exactly what you want, alot of great makers here on the forums. Got this one made here from Josh at Ankura knives. Same price or very similar to alot of the other knivea you mentioned but its something made to your liking
QuZyo0t.jpg

D DMG https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/dek1-and-some-blade-show-inventory.1747412/

Here's the most recent Carothers sales thread. Twice recently I've stumbled on it randomly not tooooo close to noon PST (12:10, 12:15?) and there were still knives available. I remember thinking "Damn, I should grab one!" Then I envisioned my wife mopping the floor with me.

Sometimes I'm glad that I don't have that problem. Then sometimes I wish that I did. :) Personally, I think that CPK knives are very reasonably priced.

Every few years I get the hankering for a new belt knife. This has led me to a bunch of different knives. The First was a Carbon 5 SRK 30 years ago and more recently, the Benchmade Bushcrafter, Spyderco Aqua Salt, Esee 4, Blind Horse Bushpig, Hogue EX01 and a White River FC5. Etc.

I use these knives when hunting, camping and working around our property.

I have been looking at some of the Carothers and Winkler offerings around 5-6 inches long. I am wondering if I will notice any real performance improvement over the knives I have and use.
Has anyone here owned a FC5 or BM Bushcrafter and a Carothers, Winkler, Survive! or similar and compared them? What do I need to know?

You likely won't see much, if any improvement in terms of general cutting performance, but you would see an improvement in edge retention with the Carothers since many of his knives seem to be 3V.

Thanks for all the advice people. I went with a Carothers Field Knife 2 So far it has been great. I am probably going to unload most of my other fixed blades, aside from the esee 4 I can’t make my self part with and the knives my dad and grandfather gave me.

Scrapyard is going to have a nice knife out shortly. It is in thinner stock and the price is smoking good. I love sr101, takes a great edge and is tough

Back