Belt sander options

Though doing all regular sharpening freehand, I've hit a point where a powered option would help for some tasks like thinning primary grinds. sharpening convex on large blades, or doing full blade regrinds.

Prefer to get a generic belt sander over any type of bench grinder for the reasons summarized by Brent Beach.

I wonder if folks here who've used belt sanders extensively could give input on two items:
  • Belt sander options at a price point of $300 or less
  • Angle guides or attachments I should consider that could work with any belt sander

Belt sanders in my price range I've looked at:
* Low: Harbor Freight 1/30 ($55).
* Mid: Rikon 50-151 1x30 ($189). Belt runs 3270 rpm, noted in consumer user reviews to be quite a bit better quality than some cheaper models including HF.
* Upper:
*Kalamazoo 1SM 1x42 ($314). Runs at 1725 rpm and designed with knifemaking in mind.
*Viel S-5 ($289). Note: runs 1750 RPM and some sharpening attachments available as well as a variable speed motor setup for an extra cost.

I would vote for the kalamazoo 1x42. I have one and for sharpening it works great. I started with a harbor freight 1x30 and the difference in quality is amazing. I am actually currently building a bench grinder setup with a 220 grit and 1000 grit CBN wheels powered by a 1hp slow speed rikon grinder. It is mounted to a 1 inch thick piece of red oak. I am getting the tormek bench grinder mounts to use tormek jigs on it and making a twice as sharp style scissor jig to use on it too. Kinda outta your price range but remember don't be afraid to get creative and think outide the box

Kalamazoo 1x42". Great machine. Have had one for 10 years.
P1010500-vi.jpg

P1010492-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Rikon makes a variable speed 1 x 30 model, 50-161VS, that can be had for around $150.

Last edited:
I've been contemplating the Viel S-5-B. It's only $100 and attaches to a 6" grinder. I like the fact that it has a dust enclosure.
http://www.vieltools.com/detail.php?p=OTE0

Todd, yes agree it's a very interesting option. I talked on the phone recently to the guy who runs the site where I linked to the Viel above. He tells me that he's the exclusive US 'dealer' for the Viel, it has to be imported from Canada, so there's some convenience aspect to getting it from him. Also if you look on that page I linked farther down, he's got some options to sell you a customized version that sets it up with a variable speed motor, etc., which @HeavyHanded suggested to me elsewhere is useful for knife grinding applications. One other interesting note, the Viel dealer guy mentioned to me that he knows some guys who are working up a similar set of blade grinding attachments (like the existing ones for the Viel) that can be used with the Kalamazoo. He believes those will be available sometime this year. I should've asked him for more details, but I think if one could get either the Viel or the Kalamazoo with a purpose built blade grinding attachment, that would be a pretty attractive setup, as both are sort of lower rpm options that seem designed for knife work.

Is the import issue only for a unit with the motor pre-installed? vieltools.com appears to ships to the US.

That could be. When I called Viel, they also mentioned the US guy and said it's easier to buy from him, but I didn't clarify the details since I wasn't ready to buy one yet.

Rikon makes a variable speed 1 x 30 model, 50-161VS, that can be had for around $150.

Not trying to hijack the thread but curious if anyone has had experience with this model. It's only $160 and variable speed so it can slow down and 3/4 hp. I was looking into getting started on a budget. I can't find the Craftsman 2x42 any where so I came across this.

Thoughts?

Not trying to hijack the thread but curious if anyone has had experience with this model. It's only $160 and variable speed so it can slow down and 3/4 hp. I was looking into getting started on a budget. I can't find the Craftsman 2x42 any where so I came across this.

Thoughts?
I just bought the Rikon 50-161vs and am waiting for delivery. I've also purchased a basic set of belts and an angle guide. Really want to get into sharpening.

I purchased the 1x42 Viel #2 kit from Langevin Forest, which includes the table, "knife guide" scissor guide, chisel carriage, handwheel adjustment a 3 belts for $299 Canadian. The table isn't perfectly square, so the chisel carriage is slightly askew - It's fine for me because I use the Veritas jig to finish anyway. The "knife guide" is useless, except maybe for larger kitchen knives. The scissor guide seems excellent, although I've not used the Wolff version to compare. The motor is an open 1/4 HP which seems to have enough jam for sharpening. I couldn't justify the extra cost of the TEFC baldor motor for the amount of use I'll have for this, plus the kit was a significant discount from buying the jigs separately.

I just bought the Rikon 50-161vs and am waiting for delivery. I've also purchased a basic set of belts and an angle guide. Really want to get into sharpening.

Let me know how it goes just because i am curious. I went with a Dayton 1x42. They had one at a Grainger locally so i was able to check it out first. Had to make some modifications but good belts make all the difference .

I've been using the Kalamazoo 1SM to sharpen knives for a few months now. I've really enjoyed it; it's a very good tool.

Shortly after getting mine, I got an angle guide that has been designed specifically for the Kalamazoo called the KallyRest. I got mine directly from the inventor Mark. Mark has put together a web site for his product, but it doesn't look like fully automated "click and order" has been set up. I would bet that Mark would take your order if you wanted one though. You would probably just have to email him at the link on the site. If you'd like to see some beauty shots of the KallyRest, here's the web site:

https://mechusa.square.site/

I'm just a customer, but I liked the product enough to make a few videos about it. Mark asked me to make an installation video and I did. I was not paid. I paid for my KallyRest with my own money. I just made the videos because I like the product. Here's my overview video of the KallyRest:

Brian.

I've been using the Kalamazoo 1SM to sharpen knives for a few months now. I've really enjoyed it; it's a very good tool.

Shortly after getting mine, I got an angle guide that has been designed specifically for the Kalamazoo called the KallyRest. I got mine directly from the inventor Mark. Mark has put together a web site for his product, but it doesn't look like fully automated "click and order" has been set up. I would bet that Mark would take your order if you wanted one though. You would probably just have to email him at the link on the site. If you'd like to see some beauty shots of the KallyRest, here's the web site:

https://mechusa.square.site/

I'm just a customer, but I liked the product enough to make a few videos about it. Mark asked me to make an installation video and I did. I was not paid. I paid for my KallyRest with my own money. I just made the videos because I like the product. Here's my overview video of the KallyRest:

Brian.
That looks like a nice rest. Is is specifically designed for the Kalamazoo?

I found a couple after making my post. First I found this one
on a Rikon 1x30 belt sander on this video of same poster

And then I found another on Amazon with near exact design https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HVXFP80

That looks like a nice rest. Is is specifically designed for the Kalamazoo?

Yes. It only works on the Kalamazoo. The inventor has gone through many, many revisions to get it optimized like it is now.

I found a couple after making my post. First I found this one

That rest seems like it should work fine. I've watched some youtube videos of Curry using them; they seem fine. Very basic, but fine. The KallyRest is kind of in another league. Extremely adjustable and precise with a larger surface on the rest.

Brian.

Yes. It only works on the Kalamazoo. The inventor has gone through many, many revisions to get it optimized like it is now.

That rest seems like it should work fine. I've watched some youtube videos of Curry using them; they seem fine. Very basic, but fine. The KallyRest is kind of in another league. Extremely adjustable and precise with a larger surface on the rest.

Brian.
There is always an option like this ;-)

Back