Benchmade 42 -- The year in review

Gollnick

Musical Director
At the recent Oregon Knife Collector's Show, I did balisong demonstrations primarily using a Benchmade 42. Last year, I primarily used a pair of BM45s since I wasn't quite comfortable with the 42 yet. So, it's been about a year.

I still have and use my first unnumbered 42, obtained just days before the Oregon show last year, virtually every day. It's the one I used for this year's Oregon show. The swedge has been sharpened. The handles have been thermally colored several times. It's been the poor victim of several attempted disassemblies. And it get's used and abused most every day.

On the average, the joints on this knife probably get cycles at least a hundred times per day (some days many, many more, especially the "I am going to do this trick perfectly one hundred times in a row before I go to bed. One, two, three... ninty five, ninty six, oh! Crap!... one, two, three..." sessions.). That's just way more abuse than most users give any other kind of folding knife.

Anyway, as I was tuning up my aerials for the show, I couldn't help but notice how well this knife had survived all of that abuse. It still locks up pretty tight. The blade wobbles just a bit. I should tighten it up. But, overall, it's doing great.

Some of you have also had 42s getting on a year now. What's your impression of these balisongs now that you've had 'em for a while, now that you've gotten adjusted to 'em, and now that you've beat 'em up?

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

Mine still flips great. I've had to replace a couple screws in it (failed attempt at dismantling) and I've sent it flying into walls and floors and it still flips like new. All I have to do is lube it once in a while. The only complaint I have is that after flipping my 42 for so long, all my other Balis feel like lead tanks. I guess I've been spoiled.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">especially the "I am going to do this trick perfectly one hundred times in a row before I go to bed. One, two, three... ninty five, ninty six, oh! Crap!... one, two, three..." sessions.)</font>
WOW
cool.gif

It good to hear that i'm not the only obsessive compulsive in the house.
I thought it was just me who had to get a number of PERFECT reps in before he could hit the sack.
It good to know i'm not alone.

I love my 42. I havent really put a ton of abuse to it other than I flip it a ton. And once I was dumb enough to let one of my freinds see it and he flipped it, lost grip and sent it point first into the ground. I thought he had broken the tip but actually it was just nicked a little(ground that out) and it had taken out a small bit of concrete with it.

------------------
I have a sword in my pocket!

i just spent about 2.5 hours doing arieals at a friend's barbeque this evening, and all I could talk about is balisongs...

I'm convinced, that I'm both a computer nerd, and a knife freak. bad combo...

My 42 70/500 was flying like it had wings. I only got 3 little knicks from the points.
A very therepudic meditation. After a while, it all slows down, and you are perceiving things at three times normal speed.

My wife (Julia) has said that it's like practicing juggling with flamming torches, and I said, yeah, it keeps you concentrating...

on the other hand, I found myself digging out dandelions out of the yard with it too.

I love my BM42, and will keep it as a personal bali for a long time...

Chuck, since BM's warrantee covers normal usage of their knives, would you think that if your knife is no longer locking up tight anymore, they would repair/replace the handles for free? Or do they charge for parts and labor? I'm guessing that the cups on the handles have been dented and that is causing a not-so-tight lock-up? Or would they just say, "too bad"? Just curious.

------------------
Steve
(Third Mate for hire!)

Even my chief beater still locks up quite acceptibly. If yours does not, I'd send it in.

------------------
Chuck

Hello everybody! I'm still out here.
smile.gif

I have a set of the production 42 BM's and I love them dearly with daily manipulation of varied degrees.

I would have thought that the longer point of the blade would have failed with the many missed aerials that I have put them thru!
confused.gif
Go figure! Heck of a blade.

I look forward to future models.
wink.gif

Best regards and life to all,

------------------
lokai.gif

Sabo 29
"Catch you on the flip side"!

Well I have a blue 42 and its a great knife but I dont like the weight of the handles ,reminds me of a cheap knife and does not flip as well as brass but after only using heavy knives its hard to get used to a light one !

Well, I have been playing with a 42 for a while now and the only thing I can do is scare myself or cut myself with it!
biggrin.gif
I started on the blade for you today Chuck, Ill hand it off at Blade!

Well now, there's some good news. This will be interesting.

At bladeshow, I shall have to teach you some manipulations so that you can look cool in that hat.

------------------
Chuck

Back