Benchmade 530/531 vs Spyderco Delica 4

Hello

I am looking for some light and slim folder to drop in my pocket without using pocket clip , it will be for light EDC use or sometime a little more... but it will be only occasional.

I would be interested in a comparison between the benchmade par due 530/531 and the Delica 4 from Spyderco

Photos and advices are welcomed

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

They're pretty different knives, after owning both for a while I'm partial to the 530. Its a lot of knife in a incredibly thin and light package. And it looks slick too.

I also like the axis lock more than a backlock. Benchmades warranty is pretty fantastic, and its USA made!

That said they're both great slicers, soludly built, and easy to carry.

I don't know much about the benchmade knife, but the delica 4 is spyderco' s best knife for EDC. The Kershaw leek us slim and lightweight, but made ostrowski SS instead if FRN

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

531 > Delica > 530

I don't like the dagger grind on the 530.

I have both the 530 and Delica and carry the 530 more. I like the 531 blade shape, but the 530 is lighter and a great slicer. You can also put a deep clip on it easily/cheaply. Just a matter of personal preference.

If you're looking for "...some light and slim folder to drop in my pocket without using pocket clip...," then the 530/531 is the better option. The Delica is a fantastic EDC knife, don't get me wrong, but it will sit wider in your pocket and be a bit more obtrusive if you're carrying anything else in that same pocket. Plus, the axis lock is a bit more fun to operate than a lock back :)

I've owned both, still have a Delica. I sold off my 531 a while back to fund another purchase. Good luck with your choice!

If you're looking for "...some light and slim folder to drop in my pocket without using pocket clip...," then the 530/531 is the better option. The Delica is a fantastic EDC knife, don't get me wrong, but it will sit wider in your pocket and be a bit more obtrusive if you're carrying anything else in that same pocket. Plus, the axis lock is a bit more fun to operate than a lock back :)

I've owned both, still have a Delica. I sold off my 531 a while back to fund another purchase. Good luck with your choice!
Yeah, I've got to kinda agree with this. Under any other circumstance I'd go with the Delica, but clipless I think the 530/531 has the edge. The Delica has a lot more pocket width than the BM and tends to drop in the pocket and sit laterally at the bottom creating a "Is that a Delica in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me" effect. This is fine with jeans or heavier cotton slacks but looks really silly in dress slacks. Not sure how you'd be using so YMMV.

The 530/531 action and grip are kind of unique. If at all possible, you should try to handle one before you buy as some users just can't warm up to it. Nobody doesn't like the Delica in hand.

I actually tried to make the 531 my main EDC at one point, but the coffin handle's ergonomics are a disaster for me. Nice knife though, bladeshape and how thin and light it is overall. Very strong for its size too.

I'd take the Delica or 940 instead.

If you're looking for "...some light and slim folder to drop in my pocket without using pocket clip...," then the 530/531 is the better option. The Delica is a fantastic EDC knife, don't get me wrong, but it will sit wider in your pocket and be a bit more obtrusive if you're carrying anything else in that same pocket.

Weird, I don't find the Delica to be any more obtrusive or wider in the pocket as clipped or clip-less as compared to the 531. If anything, the 531's length in pocket is more so. Different strokes.

...and I love my axis locks but the placement of the thumbstud and axis lock on the knife makes it less "fun" than say the Grips, 940's, or 707.

I wouldn't suggest the 530 or 531 just because of the odd handle shape. I find the Delica more appealing in every way, except blade steel maybe, depending on what you're looking for with edge retention.

I like the 531 in this one.

I dislike the little thumb stud "post" thingies they stuck on the blade for opening, but still prefer it to the Spyderhole.

Nothing at all wrong with the backlock on the Delica, but I flat out love the Axis lock.

The 530 is ultralight, and even the 531 with the G-10 scales is lighter than the Delica.

The 530's coffin handle might be an acquired taste, but the Delica will most likely fit everybody. Still think the 530 carries better.

Still and all, you can get a Delica for about half of what you'll pay for a 531.

They're very different pieces though, so I'd highly suggest that you handle both to help with the decision if you are able to do so.

light EDC use or sometime a little more...
531 for light EDC, Delica for a little more. I have an old Delica with the FRN clip broke off and ground down flush. It's my deep pocket "modern", handy for occasions when I prefer not to show a clip. It keeps me from inadvertently clipping after use out of habit.

Thanks you for the inputs
Does anyone has photos of the two knives to figure out how they compare one next to the other?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I have the little Benchmade Barrage with is an AO knife. It is a nice size for EDC. I think I would like the BM 531 with it's drop point design and blade length. The Delica is one of my favorite knives which I used to EDC a lot. It is in fact the standard I use when comparing closed size when looking at potential knives on line for edc. I like the lock and not very interested in really fast opening although I do enjoy the AO's for fun. The Native 5 is another Spydie I really like. Probably would like the larger Manix if I owned one, but I know I won't edc it as it is larger than I like.

I have a 530 and various Delicas and my answer would be to get a Spyderco Centofante 3 rather than either of those.

The ergos of the Centofante 3 are, for me, much better than either the 530 or Delica and you are still getting the thin blade stock in a slim package. It is one of Spyderco's hidden classics.

Centofante 3 is way better than both Delica and BM530.I have All 3 and Centofante is much better,has better ergonomics and cuts better.

Thanks you for the inputs
Does anyone has photos of the two knives to figure out how they compare one next to the other?

Here you go, with the Centofante 3 I suggested above

IMG_0132_DxO_zpsjvcbhamg.jpg

IMG_0131_DxO_zps9o4k264b.jpg

Back