Benchmade 551 H2O vs spyderco pacific salt

Hey all quick question. Looking to get a larger rust proof knife for hard use on and around the ocean. I already have a dragonfly salt and really like it. I am considering the pacific salt and the benchmade griptillian h20. I like the tip better on the grip, but the salt seems like its more rust proof and is half the price. My main question is how do these two compare in ruggedness. I use my fishing knives pretty hard and they take a beating. Is one of these two knives going to hold up better than the other?

Would love to hear from anyone that has experience with both!

I was pondering the same two knives about a month ago and decided to go with the Pacific Salt, here's what I found in my reading:

551 H2O:
- Stronger lock (IMO easier to use)
- Better edge holding (in PE)
- Handle isn't as brightly colored (Orange vs Yellow)
- Handle is shorter, but fatter which for me is more ergonomic to use but not as comfortable in pocket
- Has 420J2 liners and more metal in general (more to rust)
- X15tn or N680 is very stainless, but still a rust resistant steel not rust proof

Pacific Salt:
- Better edge retention in SE
- Rust Proof Steel
- Linerless
- Ti pocket clip
- 420J2 back lock

Overall the Pacific Salt is more rust resistant/proof both blade steel and hardware, the Benchmade will have better edge retention in PE, but the Pacific Salt will have better edge retention in SE, you get a longer blade with the Salt, if I were set on only getting a PE blade I'd probably go with Benchmade and make sure to rinse my knife out at the end of the day with freshwater or no worry about it if use was in rivers/lakes. If its meant primarily for ocean I'd go SE Pacific Salt.

Research and see if there's any real-world use reports on the H2O yet. I exposed my one H1 blade to blood, salt & vinegar on various occasions. Just wiped it off and didn't worry aout it. Not a speck on it as of yet.

Yeah the OP's story took an interesting arc. I bet a lot of folks would like to have the same thing happen; ask a question, don't get an answer so you find out for yourself and wind up getting your knife made as a production piece.

Benchmade has a lot more internals to get mucked up and the h1 steel is no slouch,Spyderco for the win...just my necro response

Salt is better for fishing and activities in/near water.
Griptillian is better as overall EDC. IMO.
I also own both.

This needs some elaboration.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-WaterWay-Fixed-Blade-Knife--78714

Spyderco-Waterway-Green-G10-satin-BHQ-78714-er-large.jpg

And before that I think he had a lot of input on the Fish Hunter.

Danke elaborated further and shared OP's YouTube channel.
Sure did. After my post.

This needs elaboration. Thanks.

I find that the thinner blade and overall build of the Salt is better for gutting and prep of fish.

While the Griptillian is a much more all round good EDC. The handle and blade shape... It's a Griptillian with a very stainless steel. It's popular for a reason.

Wow, what a classic blast from the past! This was actually one of my very first posts on Bladeforums! I joined the forum back then just to try to get some help finding a good rust proof knife. A lot of life happens in 6 years! I got much of my knife edge-u-cation from friends right here on this forum. A BIG thank you to Bladeforums and all the knowledgable and helpful members here that helped me out over the years!

This is hilarious, Lance!
Wow, what a classic blast from the past! This was actually one of my very first posts on Bladeforums! I joined the forum back then just to try to get some help finding a good rust proof knife. A lot of life happens in 6 years! I got much of my knife edge-u-cation from friends right here on this forum. A BIG thank you to Bladeforums and all the knowledgable and helpful members here that helped me out over the years!

Back