Benchmade 810 contego,liner is so thin

I got a Benchamade 810-1401 contego,but the liners is so thin.This style is from 810 coating version,coating version have a glass breaker,the breaker's base is a bulk steel.because of adjusting the barycenter,the liners of coating version is made so thin.
The 810-1401 have no glass breaker ,why not thicken the liners,cancel the bulk steel at the stern of the 810-1401.

My English is so poor...

I dont agree. When we have companies successfully building folding knives without any liners whatsoever and rely just on the composite handle slabs for support to me it show only how overkill it is to require steel liners in the first place. I still like steel liners but I dont see any reason for the contego to need thicker ones.

I dont agree. When we have companies successfully building folding knives without any liners whatsoever and rely just on the composite handle slabs for support to me it show only how overkill it is to require steel liners in the first place. I still like steel liners but I dont see any reason for the contego to need thicker ones.

Personally,I feel the thicker steel liners make the axis lock stronger.After all,axis lock without liners is nearly impossible.

Personally,I feel the thicker steel liners make the axis lock stronger.After all,axis lock without liners is nearly impossible.
Thin steel liners are strong enough for the Axis lock. Your blade is going to break before the axis lock fails in almost every instance. You would have had to seriously abused the knife for that to even happen.

I agree liners are necessary for the axis lock, and to some extent their thickness affects the strength of the lock, but I think there is a point of diminishing returns at a thinness less than that of the 810's liners. Just look at smaller ones with nested liners like the 940 or Griptilian; those have thinner liners, and I've never seen a report of deformation. Also I'm in the military, and a lot of the guys where I am now who served in one of the recent wars have Grips that are pretty beat up, but none of them have any liner problems (I sharpen and clean them so have seen them all close-up).

Thin steel liners are strong enough for the Axis lock. Your blade is going to break before the axis lock fails in almost every instance. You would have had to seriously abused the knife for that to even happen.

Thanks for ur reply

This is something I mentioned in a post when the Contego first came out. The liner thickness, if memory serves, is either .040" or .050" thick, as measured by my micrometer. I think this is a standard thickness for Axis Lock folders. But the Adamas has liner's that are .080" thick, and I think the now discontinued 610 also had these thick liner's. As PURPLE said, this would probably be overkill, but I sure would have loved it if Benchmade had used the same thick liners from the Adamas on the Contego! I'm just one of those guy's that love overkill and the extra weight and width would not have bothered me at all.:thumbup::)

Have you guys seen the video benchmade did testing the 810 lock? I'm not worried one bit.

Not true. Above posters may think the liners are strong, but I've seen some videos on YouTube where after just some lock stress, the liners were warped from the axis lock, resulting in blade play.

Not true. Above posters may think the liners are strong, but I've seen some videos on YouTube where after just some lock stress, the liners were warped from the axis lock, resulting in blade play.

Thanks,please give us the links?

I dont agree. When we have companies successfully building folding knives without any liners whatsoever and rely just on the composite handle slabs for support to me it show only how overkill it is to require steel liners in the first place.

An axis lock with no steel liners would be a recipe for disaster. Having worked autobody and construction, steel liners are not overkill at all for my uses. For your average EDC, a tougher material like G10 or micarta could probably do the job though. I like my Skyline, but I'd almost bet my entire knife collection I could break it into pieces with my hands.

With the axis lock I'd be more worried about wear rather than strength. I think the Contego's liners will work just as intended though.

Gentlemen, again here, we are talking about a "folding knife". Not a pry bar, not a fixed blade. The knife is ridiculously strong enough to do ANY task that a folder is designed for. That is CUTTING. I'm sorry, I just can't fathom why we keep seeing these posts about "How strong is my (fill in new knife name here)". They are "folding knives". :)
The only concession I could make is if you were to use an Essee, a Becker, a Survive, or a Busse. Even then, it's a sharpened cutting instrument, not a pry bar.

I know, I know, "but Vegas, what if I'm stranded out in the woods and.....happens?" We have to be realistic here....that just doesn't happen, virtually ever. It's simply not realistic enough of a scenario to lend much credence to.

I'm not being a tool....no pun intended. :) But again, use the tool for the job.

Go over to the testing board and have a look at what the guy puts a Griptillian through. That's a knife with partial steel liners. I'd think the act of batoning the Grip would have introduced play but it didn't.

Isn't G10 supposed to be very durable?

comparable or stronger than most steels depending on thickness?

I know I've never broken G10 though I think steel would handle impacts better.

An axis lock with no steel liners would be a recipe for disaster. Having worked autobody and construction, steel liners are not overkill at all for my uses. For your average EDC, a tougher material like G10 or micarta could probably do the job though. I like my Skyline, but I'd almost bet my entire knife collection I could break it into pieces with my hands.

With the axis lock I'd be more worried about wear rather than strength. I think the Contego's liners will work just as intended though.

I worded it wrong. I wasnt trying to say that the axis lock would be fine long term without steel liners but rather that I dont feel a need for them to be thicker than they are and worded my explanation poorly. To me, as long as it has steel liners to support the system then the g10 handles will provide enough strength after that point given how other designs dont use liners at all and work just fine. I honestly think people expect way too much out of a folding knife. It seems many people these days take a knife out of the box and do everything in their power to find points of failure. Not that this is a bad thing. I would always like to know the limitation of my gear as well. But many times people get in a uproar when their knife doesnt pass a test that is simply abusive. I am simply trying to state that imho the contego will survive everything that the knife was designed to be used for. And if people decide that they are going to use their knives for purposes not intended then its not really up to benchmade to change the design to suit their wants or needs but rather the user needs to find the right tool for the job. If I go and try and pry a car door open with a field grade bodega and I snap the handle off at the pivot is it Todd beggs fault for not using thicker blade stock or some type of metal for the handle? Or is it mine for trying to demolish a skyscraper with a firecracker?

How much lock stress? How was the force applied? in which direction was it applied? How many pounds of pressure were used? These are all questions that need to be answered before the blame of failure is on benchmade or the people doing the testing. Lets say the contego breaks at 159 lbs of pressure and an adamas breaks at 250 lbs. does that mean the contego is improperly made? Or is it just not as strong as the adamas and should not be used to that same level? I have seen tests were the blade of a 300 flipper broke before the lock failed. Sure the liners had some deformation as did the pivot but deformation is not the same thing as failure. A locks only purpose is to protect you from injury. Under normal circumstances the lock should be able to do this many times. But when you decide to put it under abnormal stress you will have to expect abnormal results. And even if the knife needs to be repaired or replaced after that extreme abuse as long as the lock didnt fail then that lock succeeded in its purpose.

Last edited:
Back