Benchmade 87 Wavy and Super Rough Secondary Bevel

Hi,

So this is actually my 2nd 87 in 2 weeks. I bought one 2nd hand and the edge was sooooo off that I immediately knew something was wrong. I put it against a straight surface and shined a light, and sure enough the blade deviates almost 1mm from straight on various points!--maybe even 2mm at points. The seller was great and took mine back for a refund.

At that point I decided to buy one brand new, and I did. Just got it. Well, it's not as bad as the 1st knife, but it has similar problems. The edge definitely is not perfectly straight, but I'd say it is now about a 1/2mm - 1/4mm at various points along the edge, but the last 1cm near the handles is visibly up-swept. Also, the grind of the secondary bevel is very uneven, and you can clearly see it is wavy, and VERY rough. Out of many dozens of knives I own, this grind might be the roughest I've ever seen from a knife I bought brand new.

(Also, not the primary problem, but the blade is definitely not centered well, and is very close to touching one side of the channel when closed. I'm pretty sure it won't take much for the blade to rub.)

Are all 87's like this? I mean, it's a $500 knife--shouldn't it be 100% perfect? I have other Benchmade knives, and their blades were perfectly ground, so it seems to me that this is a problem specifically with 87's?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Honestly sounds normal for any production brand, but pictures would be worth more than those thousand words ;)

I check that before I check centering on a new knife and you're right to be upset. I've seen a lot of Anthems and 940s with a slight recurve from the factory. Usually longer at the heel.

It's also a problem with knives on the used market. People go to town with those diamond stones and end up cutting in a recurve on the way to the mirror edge.

Back