Benchmade 940-1 Spray Painted Clip

The 940-1 is kind of a grail knife for me. You would think that a knife this expensive could have a pocket clip that is not spray painted or at least the paint would not mess up your pants! Heck, my 580 Barrage has a parkerized clip, I am not asking for titanium here. I had just found a serious blade centering issue that cannot be fixed with a simple pivot adjustment. For a knife I have been dreaming about for a year, the whole unboxing kind of threw me for a loop.

Has anyone else had problems with the paint? Heck, I thought I had a knock off there for a minute.

Thanks

Here is a video of the high dollar Benchmade Spray Pain! [video]https://youtu.be/APeU56Hj3VQ[/video]

Last edited:
I agree that for the very high price the clip should be better. First thing I did on mine is replace it.
Whilst I will complain about BM's too high prices (and I hardly ever buy BM now because of it), I will also say their customer service is great and the gave me free split tail clips when I asked. Nice!

940-107704_zpsc75ddd91.jpg

And you ain't the only one with significant centering issues. This, to me, is a much more disappointing thing to find. I feel it's unacceptable at the price.

940-107701_zps0960862f.jpg

The blade centering would bug the hell out of me. Give them a call and see what there willing to do. I know it's a hassle but I wouldn't live with it.

Mike

Benchmade need to get their QC department in shape... Off-centered, uneven grinds.
SRf5OpF.jpg

It was the last straw for me... Never another Benchmade, never again...

Makes me wonder who did they hire for their QC? This guy?
yfX9sC5.jpg

Sucks, but give them a call. They'll send you new clips for free.
If you send it in you'll have it back in about 2 weeks. Excellent CS!

Lol, too funny! I am sticking this thing back in the box and sending it in. I must admit, they do have great customer service, I sure have paid for with 4 of their blades, not including the 9051 I gave my father in law for father's day, Which is now Legal in Oklahoma, as of Sunday Okies can carry autos, with the preemption of local laws.

They may have good customer service but it sucks to have to experience their good customer service straight out-of-the-box.
Personally I think it's just a marketing ploy to garner more fans.

Everything they say about Benchmade customer service is all true. I was on the phone with them for about 5 minutes, I have already received a prepaid UPS label via email, will get a couple split arrow clips for free, and the turnaround time is expected to be 5 business days. Totally painless, so far.

Everything they say about Benchmade customer service is all true. I was on the phone with them for about 5 minutes, I have already received a prepaid UPS label via email, will get a couple split arrow clips for free, and the turnaround time is expected to be 5 business days. Totally painless, so far.

I emailed them because I felt the same way when I purchased my 940. They shipped me the arrow/parkerized clip for free. Their customer service is second to none.

They sent me 2 free clips. As far as the centering goes, 940xx can be finicky, but I can center them in 3-4 minutes. Not saying anyone should have to, just that it isn't a difficult task.

They sent me 2 free clips. As far as the centering goes, 940xx can be finicky, but I can center them in 3-4 minutes. Not saying anyone should have to, just that it isn't a difficult task.
I tweaked every screw on the thing multiple times, had no luck

I know of a couple of ways to fix centering. I am curious what yours is. Care to share?

A little hard to explain, a video would be better. Basically you loosen the screws and pivot, push one scale against a hard surface like a door jamb or something and with the heel or your hand, push on the scale that is NOT against the hard surface. Basically you are tweaking the scales. I've done it to (2) 940s and one 940-1. Probably sounds weird, but it works. I think there was actually a thread about this very practice.

*Edit - I found the post on the old Benchmade forum where I learned the trick.

That should be easily correctable at home if you have a good set of Torx bits and some patience.

Loosen off (not remove) the pivot and handle screws, push the bottom of one scale and the top of the opposite scale to pull the blade past centre on the opposite side of centre, then start tightening screws. Start with the handle screws and finish with the pivot.

Don't over tighten, just snug them up well. any final centering of the blade should be able to be done with the pivot screw.

Last edited:
The pocket clip on my 940-1 just made a big long scratch on my leather steering wheel when I was exiting my car. It is a piece of crap.

I asked BM for a couple lowrider clips and they sent me a black and satin clip. I have the satin on now. Now sure how this clip would scratch anything, seems really smooth.

940-1a.JPG

Thanks for the centering tip, RG.

I just got mine today, the blade is slightly off. I got it as a lightweight user, so I'm not broken up over it, but I might try my hand at centering it sometime soon. The plan is to grab an Adamas clip like yours, as well.

From what I understand about the centering issues on this models first runs were, the CF scales were milled slightly out of true...not fixable w/ adjustment of pivot/scale screws, ect...

BM CS, remains outstanding...

QC and overall changes of late have kept me off the brand for new models...I always did prefer the discontinued stuff anyway..

Painted clips suck, for sure..

A little hard to explain, a video would be better. Basically you loosen the screws and pivot, push one scale against a hard surface like a door jamb or something and with the heel or your hand, push on the scale that is NOT against the hard surface. Basically you are tweaking the scales. I've done it to (2) 940s and one 940-1. Probably sounds weird, but it works. I think there was actually a thread about this very practice.

*Edit - I found the post on the old Benchmade forum where I learned the trick.

That should be easily correctable at home if you have a good set of Torx bits and some patience.

Loosen off (not remove) the pivot and handle screws, push the bottom of one scale and the top of the opposite scale to pull the blade past centre on the opposite side of centre, then start tightening screws. Start with the handle screws and finish with the pivot.

Don't over tighten, just snug them up well. any final centering of the blade should be able to be done with the pivot screw.

Thanks! I'll add that to the tricks I already have for centering.

Back