Benchmade 940 Osborne- Thumb stud questions

Hello. I picked up a Benchmade 940 Osborne a month or so ago. I absolutely love the knife. My only (partial) complaint about the knife is the flush/small thumb studs. I sometimes use the axis lock to deploy the knife, as well as sometimes the thumb stud. I find the thumb stud to be too small. Other knives that I own have a taller thumb stud that is easier to deploy.

My questions are:
1. How does one remove the factory thumb stub? I didn't want to chance messing mine up.
2. Has anyone figured out the specifications of a viable replacement?
Head width
Head height
Step size (if applicable)

Thanks,
Andrew

For 1, you just unscrew it. It may have some loctite, but I have quite a few 94x's and they've always come off easy.

T6 driver. To me, the 940 is one of the easiest blades to deploy with a thumbstud. Put the tip of your thumb on the stud and push straight up. Very little effort to flick open.

The thumbstud uses a T6 torx driver, while models like the Rift and others use a 3/16 nut driver - and these studs are perfectly interchangeable. I agree with DOAT's comment above - the use of two drivers for either of these sizes (clockwise/and counter) makes removal and installing a simple chore.

I removed them with T6 Torx drivers and then replaced mine with 950 Rift thumbstuds. I hated the smallness of the factory studs as well. Here's a pic. :)

The Rift studs take a 3/16" socket to install.

R98ozbA.jpg

HMTqUXE.jpg

I wish Benchmade would use the Rift type studs on a few other models.

Only problem I see with those is they're a little wider than the scales. But for larger hands are a terrific alternative. The trick? Give the knife a little twist when pulling it out of the pocket and you're good to go. Thanks for the clear photos David!

Yeah they are a bit larger than the scales, but they still don't snag my pocket unless I twist the knife like you said, then they snag but it still doesn't come open. And you're welcome on the pics. I love taking pics. :)

I removed them with T6 Torx drivers and then replaced mine with 950 Rift thumbstuds. I hated the smallness of the factory studs as well. Here's a pic. :)

The Rift studs take a 3/16" socket to install.

R98ozbA.jpg

HMTqUXE.jpg

I wish Benchmade would use the Rift type studs on a few other models.

Ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner! This is exactly what I was looking for. Do you by chance have any pics with the blade closed showing the height difference of the thumb stud vs. scales?

I contacted Benchmade inquiring about the Rift thumb studs.

Ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner! This is exactly what I was looking for. Do you by chance have any pics with the blade closed showing the height difference of the thumb stud vs. scales?

I contacted Benchmade inquiring about the Rift thumb studs.

Please let us know if they'll send them out. I may email for a set and try it out if they're willing to send them out.

I just took this one today. It's my uncoated 940 but it's what I had on me today. I had two sets of Rift studs that I got from removing them before I sent a couple of 950's in to get the blades replaced. They are now on my 940's. :)

When I set the knife down on a table it seems to be level between the Axis bars and the thumb-studs so I think they stick out the same.

dNrtPHS.jpg

I never noticed the small studs on a 940. But to each his own, right. Ha, ha. Those 950 Rift studs look like they could be ground down and shortened to just be as wide as the scales. I would re-bevel the edge after grinding. A socket would still fit onto them. Personally, I do not like the thumb studs to be wider then the scales.

T6 driver. To me, the 940 is one of the easiest blades to deploy with a thumbstud. Put the tip of your thumb on the stud and push straight up. Very little effort to flick open.

Yeah except I don't "flick" my knives open. I use my thumb and it stays on the stud until the blade is deployed. Not sure what this fascination is as of late to flick everything open. I guess it must be people following NutNFancy that think that the way he opens knives must be THE WAY. I don't need my knives to open with a loud "thwack" as fast as possible.

Yeah except I don't "flick" my knives open. I use my thumb and it stays on the stud until the blade is deployed. Not sure what this fascination is as of late to flick everything open. I guess it must be people following NutNFancy that think that the way he opens knives must be THE WAY. I don't need my knives to open with a loud "thwack" as fast as possible.

Never said I was a dedicate flicker-open-only guy. I find the thumbstud to be ideal for opening either method. Never had an issue. It's much more user friendly in opening the 940 than it is to open, say, a Mini Grip. Opening a MG for me is a royal pain in the ass.

I don't flick either as I don't care for unnecessary wear nor drawing attention to myself, and don't get me started on DUDE, JIMPING!! Just saying it's one of those effortless knives that seems like it's an assisted if you wanted it to be because it's so buttery smooth. But maybe it's different for someone that might have gorilla hands.

The reason I am even pondering different thumb studs is I am used to a more pronounced thumb stud- either by size or by clearance. I carried a SOG Flash II for years and it had more clearance than the 940 does. Not sure of how 'tall' those thumb studs were in relation to the scales since I've sold that knife off. I am finding I don't like to use the axis lock to deploy it because you need to release the axis lock in order for it to lock. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but it's something I can't get used to. I like how positively the blade locks when using the thumb stud. There is no question of it not being locked and having the potential to close on my hand while using- thinking quick deployment, self defense, low light situations, etc. I'd rather have muscle memory doing it one way that works all the time.

Back