Benchmade autos

Are there springs known to be week??
Tonight as I was cleaning it I went to close the blade then I heard a ping ,the blade wouldn't open at all.
She has been opening weak all day.Thats why I was cleaning her.

Sometimes the blade gets off the track or whatever. Before taking it apart, hold it in your hand and whip your wrist. It might cause the blade to shoot out and get back on track. If not, then take apart.

Sounds like your spring broke. The same thing happened to one of my assisted knives, which essentially use the same spring system as the Autos. The spring was feeling weak, and eventually there was a ping, and all spring action was gone. Just send it in and Benchmade will fix it up for you.

Yep. Broken spring. I've only had it happen once through the years. No problems with any of the others. Keep them clean and lubricated. Basically baby the spring.

Yes it is a broken spring,I don't baby these knives as an industrial electrician she gets a workout daily.I use to use a Buck 112 since 1975 and the apprentices talked me in 1998 into these modern clip on blade witch are handier to get too especially with a tool-pouch and a safety harness on.

Last edited:
Yes it is a broken spring,I don't baby these knives as an industrial electrician she gets a workout daily.I use to use a Buck 112 since 1975 and the apprentices talked me in 1998 into these modern clip on blade witch are handier to get too especially with a tool-pouch and a safety harness on.
I did send it on to the mothership.
Are they still requiring a bill of sale for the auto warranty?
Bought an infidel from a brick and mortar dealer and he was adamant that I take a picture of the receipt and said he would send it in for me if there was ever a problem with it. He said Benchmade can be touchy when it comes to warranty and mailing of autos. Was wondering if they've changed?

Bought an infidel from a brick and mortar dealer and he was adamant that I take a picture of the receipt and said he would send it in for me if there was ever a problem with it. He said Benchmade can be touchy when it comes to warranty and mailing of autos. Was wondering if they've changed?

You either have to fill out an automatic knife agreement on Benchmade's website, or send it in through a dealer for Benchmade to warranty an auto knife. Benchmade has made filling out the Automatic knife agreement on their website a lot easier over the years, now I believe you just have to create an account and fill out the digital form once, then you're good to go. It sounds like the bill of sale thing was that dealer's own policy, they probably didn't want to deal with sending in autos they didn't sell.

You either have to fill out an automatic knife agreement on Benchmade's website, or send it in through a dealer for Benchmade to warranty an auto knife. Benchmade has made filling out the Automatic knife agreement on their website a lot easier over the years, now I believe you just have to create an account and fill out the digital form once, then you're good to go. It sounds like the bill of sale thing was that dealer's own policy, they probably didn't want to deal with sending in autos they didn't sell.
Thanks, good to hear they are getting with the times. Have a few Benchmade autos I've been babying for fear of trying to get them fixed if something goes sideways. Going to go register.

All they ask for is where I purchased it

I buy Benchmade autos at gun shows. When they need repair I send back using a local dealer. That’s due to US law prohibiting out of state shipment of autos. Benchmade doesn’t charge for replacing broken springs but the dealer charged $15 to ship.

Benchmade has my CLA in for sharpening and my auto Stryker in for a weak spring and the form just asked where I bought them nothing about a receipt.

Back