Benchmade Blade Material

I am just curious which Benchmade knives are considered the best in class categorised by the blade material?

And for us newbies, please post a picture.

For example:

Benchmade 581 Barrage --> M390

Thanks Everyone !

DSC_7467b.jpg

The 581 is my favorite benchmade. As far as rating the steels, most everyone here has their own opinion. M390 is the best steel offered by benchmade next to m4 steel. These two steels are top choices nowadays... I personally like m390 over m4 but only because m390 is stainless. Edge holding is AMAZING with these two steels. The 581 is probably one of bemchmades best offerings as far as materials go.

I guess I hit the nail on the head with the 581. Mine snaps open lightning fast and you better have a good grip on it.

As for a m4 blade, Is this the best design of a knife with that steel? Maybe the only one?

BKC-BEN-810-Image1.jpg

The blade shape is Warren osbournes reverse tanto. The rift is the contegos little brother in a sense and has the same blade shape, but comes standard with 154cm. Benchmade does an outstanding job with their 154cm tho so don't let that fool you. I have a rift and contego as well as a 581. I personally like the 810 over the rift for its blade length and handle shape. Honestly what ever benchmade you buy, its going to be a great knife. But honestly, I like the Gayle bradley from spyderco the best. Is has m4 as well, but a nice hollow grind making it nice and thin behind the edge for better slicing. Hope any of this helped

The blade shape is Warren osbournes reverse tanto. The rift is the contegos little brother in a sense and has the same blade shape, but comes standard with 154cm. Benchmade does an outstanding job with their 154cm tho so don't let that fool you. I have a rift and contego as well as a 581. I personally like the 810 over the rift for its blade length and handle shape. Honestly what ever benchmade you buy, its going to be a great knife. But honestly, I like the Gayle bradley from spyderco the best. Is has m4 as well, but a nice hollow grind making it nice and thin behind the edge for better slicing. Hope any of this helped

How about the Benchmade Bone Collector 15020-2 (Large) D2 Steel

Verses the Benchmade 810 Contego Satin Plain m4 steel

I'm in the process of replacing the 300sn with something that is larger and fits my hand better.

Thanks

As for a m4 blade, Is this the best design of a knife with that steel? Maybe the only one?

BKC-BEN-810-Image1.jpg

The 810 is the only Benchmade folder with CPM-M4 as far as I know. It's an excellent folder. So much so that I ordered an extra last night.

Of course, there's the Spyderco Gayle Bradley also in CPM-M4 which is also excellent.

How about the Benchmade Bone Collector 15020-2 (Large) D2 Steel

Verses the Benchmade 810 Contego Satin Plain m4 steel

I'm in the process of replacing the 300sn with something that is larger and fits my hand better.

Thanks

I'm done owning anymore frame or liner locks. Just a personal preference. No more for me no matter who makes them.

If your after edge retention, then the 810 is it. M4 is some of the best steel on the market. D2 is no slouch tho, I've been using my 710 in d2 and its very respectable. But yes the m4 is better than d2. M390 and m4 are a very close call tho. Check out ankersons reviews he does on blade steels here, very extensive and good testing.

Back