Benchmade Bone Collector...why should I like this knife?

So I have a new Benchmade Bone Collector I am trying to warm up to....I love the Griptillian I have, and this seems similar....except that it has the weird dodo bird looking blade...Am I missing something? I just dont like this knife but want too. Blade centering is perfect and it is very well built. Why do you like it?:confused:

The weird dodo bird blade is like a sheepsfoot blade. Very useful, one of my favorite blade designs. However I liked the 555 much better than the Bone Collector version. Don't have the Bone Collector any more. Did not care for the logos on the blade either. Just my way of thinking but I am a wacko from Waco.

Spearpoint tip, D2 steel, G10 scales that I can actually get 4 fingers on, AXIS lock that makes it a truly ambi knife. There's nothing here for me not to like. Mine gets quite a bit of carry.

Well thanks guys, I am trying to like it. It is in my pocket now and I am using it, the D2 hasn't tarnished at all after cutting steaks, so that is at least good. Yes the logos are in my humble opinion a little tacky...but so many people love it...guess ill carry it for a while.

I don't like the Bone Collector (or the Griptilian). That blade design does not appeals to me at all. And every time I hear the name "Bone Collectoer" I can't help but think of that movie from 1999.

But out of the many dozens of designs from Benchmade , this is one of the very few that turns me off.

Wolverine, I hear you. I have been using it and it cuts well...it just seems to look...goofy. I think it is very well made, I love the axis lock and Benchmade warranty
but the blade design and tip seem goofy. It is a good utility knife, not so good at piercing, but the tip seems bullet proof such as it is.I don't hunt anymore, so it wont see use there. I like the fact that it has a sturdy tip design unlike my old standby the Buck 110. I Would love the Adamas, but the pocket clip is so weak. I guess I will just carry it and if i cant get along trade it to someone.

I have a folder full size D2 Bone Collector. Two seasons ago it fully processed (gut, skinned, cut up for pack out) a full sized bull elk. The knife will still shave and has not been re-sharpend. Out of about 100 quality hunting knives, this knife holds it's edge better than any other.
Ron Athay

Wolverine, I hear you. I have been using it and it cuts well...it just seems to look...goofy. I think it is very well made, I love the axis lock and Benchmade warranty
but the blade design and tip seem goofy. It is a good utility knife, not so good at piercing, but the tip seems bullet proof such as it is.I don't hunt anymore, so it wont see use there. I like the fact that it has a sturdy tip design unlike my old standby the Buck 110. I Would love the Adamas, but the pocket clip is so weak. I guess I will just carry it and if i cant get along trade it to someone.

Yeah you might as well carry it for a while and see if it grows on you. After all it IS a Benchmade ��

I can understand how the sweet Axis lock and fantastic warranty may have seduced you. Again , the BC does nothing for me. But everyone's taste is different.

I felt the same. The knife has all the features, but I just couldn't get into it. I ended up selling it and picked up something I wanted more.
You could always try a different clip for the Adams.

I totally get why some folks don't like the full size BC. I edc a mini, and it kicked a small Sebenza out of my pocket, after 10+ years of edc. I like the rounded grip and overall ergos of the Pardue-lineaged handle design, the opening hole, the blade geometry and thinness of the critical edge, the Axis...

Most of all, I like the 61rc of the D2. For those of use who actually cut stuff out in the woods for days away from a sharpener, the edge retention and performance of BM's D2 is a major draw.

I have a full size BC as well, but its heft and bulkiness lends itself to drawer duty when I can have the same cutting power in a more compact package. Rust has never been a problem, and VA is no slouch for humidity, especially this year!

Prof.

PS. I'm not much for the logos all over the blade either, and have considered acid washing the blade. I am reticent, however, since my hunch is that BM's factory finish aids in resisting oxidation.

Well I like the weight, and when I did hunt I always used a buck 110, especially on hogs. I like the weight OK, feels like a real knife, it is just that goofy looking blade. I also noted it does take a minute to get it razor sharp unlike 154cm. which hones fast. I think i will give it a chance, and just carry it and use it. I think its kinda good i don't like it because I may use it more since I am not as worried about it, ironically it may see even more use.

I love mine. Made a few changes to it. I have processed quite a few critters with it. (deer, hogs and large reptiles in S. Fl).

DSCF0887.jpgDSCF0888.jpg

So I have a new Benchmade Bone Collector I am trying to warm up to....I love the Griptillian I have, and this seems similar....except that it has the weird dodo bird looking blade...Am I missing something? I just dont like this knife but want too. Blade centering is perfect and it is very well built. Why do you like it?:confused:

How do you feel about the Reverse Tanto blade as offered on the Rift and Contego?

PBCG: the Rift looks....tough...not goofy...for some reason. I don't know what it is, I just think the BC blade looks like a dodo bird, with the eye being the thumb hole...google a pic of a dodo bird and com[are and contrast. I think it is a great knife, whats not to like, D2 Steel, Axis lock, sexy G10 scales, built like a tank....I will just have to get over the look. The blade actually cuts really well. The tip is re-enforced, very stout. Just looks....funny.

PBCG: the Rift looks....tough...not goofy...for some reason. I don't know what it is, I just think the BC blade looks like a dodo bird, with the eye being the thumb hole...google a pic of a dodo bird and com[are and contrast. I think it is a great knife, whats not to like, D2 Steel, Axis lock, sexy G10 scales, built like a tank....I will just have to get over the look. The blade actually cuts really well. The tip is re-enforced, very stout. Just looks....funny.

The reason I ask is, if you "like" or are ok with the Reverse Tanto you may want to consider a Rift or if a larger blade is desired the Contego.

I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the Reverse Tanto design. From use I can say the shear range of utility it offers put's it in a category of it's own.

In the past 20 years or so there have been a few blade designs that just made me say wow, this is a stand out. The Reverse Tanto is one of those designs.

The Rift is an extremely well made and tough knife with great ergo's to boot. Although slightly larger then the BC you may want to seriously consider it? A tough, hard user that you can depend on. Just an idea and / or suggestion.

The Rift was and still is one of my favorites, until the introduction of the Contego but that's mainly due to my preference for a larger blade. The CPM-M4 steel is in a class of it's own too and really takes it to another level but the blade size is larger then some desire and I understand that.

Anyway, best of luck and I hope you manage to warm up to the BC. By all accounts it's a great knife in many way's and for what it's worth I wouldn't mind having one and just may some day. But if you find you just want something else I'd strongly suggest you consider either the Rift, Contego, or both!

All the best!

Well pbgc i have a bunch of ZT knives that fit the heavy
Duty bill. I just got this at a gun show on a whim.
It is kinda growing on me. It is tough knife for sure. If
It had the griptillian blade shape id love it.
The way the tip is beefed up is good for tough use. I
Hear you guys that skun with it, i have skinned a bunch
With a buck 110. I would carry this over a 110 any day.

My take; if you're familiar with a 520/525 Presidio, the Bone versions are based on the same frame and internals, but with a much higher comfort level due to the G-10 scales Benchmade uses on them. The blade might not be to everyone's liking, but with a fairly simple swap you get the best of both worlds. Here's a couple of pics of my hybrid:

You get the idea, this is a much improved knife, IMO.

JKARP53: That is it! Perfect! I would love the knife if it were just exactly like THAT! I may try and order blade to do that!

Back