Benchmade custom pocket clip compatibility

I am looking to find a custom deep-carry pocket clip for my 810-1401 Contego, but in regards to the various after-market finishes, I would like to expand my search to include other BM models that would be compatible. Does anyone know if there's a compatibility chart or listing that can show which other BM models have the same deep-carry size dimensions (hole configurations, length from screw holes to top bend, etc.) to fit the 810? For example, my original 808 Locos' deep-carry clips have the exact same dimensions as my original 810 clip, which also happened to fit perfectly on my 940-1. But, are there other models that would fit my 810? A reference chart would be great!

A chart of some sort would be handy, for sure. Otherwise, I’m just searching the web for whatever I can find. Sometimes the custom makers site is well organized to help, but sometimes not.

Yes, I've been spending countless hours on the web (ebay and other knife sites) trying to piecemeal this information specific to finding a suitable aftermarket clip for my BM 810. Thank you for this advice to check the custom makers site.......as this research advice is greatly appreciated Eric.

What type of custom clip are you needing? Why are you needing a custom clip?

Benchmade's deep carry clips fit the same pattern as their other 3 hole clips. You can interchange them.

MXG Gear and Lynch Northwest both make clips that will fit your knife.

I currently have the original shiny deep-carry clip that came with the 810-1401 and I have a custom maker creating carbon fiber scales for me. I would like to get a more discreet finish in a darker matte titanium color, but not so much the lighter ones from MXG Gear. A dark anodized titanium stonewash or sandblasted finish could be nice. I recently found a thread that mentioned maybe the BM Griptillian deep-carry clips might be compatible. If that's really the case, then I think it would open up more options as there are so many more after-market ti clips available for the Grip, but I'm not sure if this is really the case. I haven't yet checked out Lynch Northwest, so thank you for this extra resource.

I don't think they have Contego clips, but my custom clip by blade4sell just arrived today for my 765 Mini Ti Monolock. It took about 7 wks to arrive (incl. 2 wks delivery time!) but I'm really happy with it. The color and texture match quite closely to the 765 handle. Unlike the stock 765 clip, this one is deep carry, flexible, and actually usable. Maybe a bit too ornate for the plain clean look of the 765, but I like it and it means I can actually carry this knife.

r5XQrpA.jpg

Funny you mention blade4sell because I'm a big fan of his work. He's actually out of my childhood town. I've purchased quite a few ti clips from him for my couple Para 2 and Manix knives. Nice pic of your 765 and the clip matches great! The design I want will also have those side notches. My custom cf scales for my 810 are about 10 weeks away, so I figured now is a good time to place an order with blade4sell given the long lead time for delivery. I almost pulled the trigger on a satin deep carry from him for my 810 since he only has a handful of 810 selections, but started thinking maybe some of the other bm custom models with darker finishes I really like might fit.......hence I started this thread for advice. Kudos to blade4sell and nice to know you and others too are rocking his ti clips!

Funny you mention blade4sell because I'm a big fan of his work. He's actually out of my childhood town. I've purchased quite a few ti clips from him for my couple Para 2 and Manix knives. Nice pic of your 765 and the clip matches great! The design I want will also have those side notches. My custom cf scales for my 810 are about 10 weeks away, so I figured now is a good time to place an order with blade4sell given the long lead time for delivery. I almost pulled the trigger on a satin deep carry from him for my 810 since he only has a handful of 810 selections, but started thinking maybe some of the other bm custom models with darker finishes I really like might fit.......hence I started this thread for advice. Kudos to blade4sell and nice to know you and others too are rocking his ti clips!
I feel like I should mention that the clip was sent out weeks before the estimated lead time and the long shipping was likely due to being shipped across the border.

It is a nice clip and I am very happy to have it. The 765 is a great knife but it has a couple flaws including the essentially unusable clip... this fixes that problem!

Did you buy the CF scales from Rogue Bladeworks?
I have the 810-1401 too.

I do know Older Spydercos, Southern Grind, Benchmade and Emerson all use the same pattern on the 3 hole clips. I use Emerson clips on all my knives that use that hole pattern.
dtFVAqe.jpg

CRBcPor.jpg

h7udADM.jpg

Did you buy the CF scales from Rogue Bladeworks?
I have the 810-1401 too.
Yes, I ordered the scales from Rogue Bladeworks......along with the CF clip and CF back spacer, but want to keep options open for a titanium clip. I've been torn on matching the clip to the CF scales & CF spacer or the M390 blade. Essentially, I missed out on getting a 810DLC-1602 (beautiful Contego with the CF scales), so I'm doing my best to piece together my own M390 version. I love my 810-1401, but I got the scales with a bit too much blue vs black. And, after finally getting a 940-1, I'm so happy to also have a "bigger brother" version of the Contego (soon with CF scales). Gives me nice options if I want to rotate my edc big or small for the day :)

Last edited:
I don't think they have Contego clips, but my custom clip by blade4sell just arrived today for my 765 Mini Ti Monolock. It took about 7 wks to arrive (incl. 2 wks delivery time!) but I'm really happy with it. The color and texture match quite closely to the 765 handle. Unlike the stock 765 clip, this one is deep carry, flexible, and actually usable. Maybe a bit too ornate for the plain clean look of the 765, but I like it and it means I can actually carry this knife.

r5XQrpA.jpg
Hey Darkera, in my search for both lighter and darker color clips (as I'm torn on matching to my M390 blade or carbon fiber scales), it looks like I'm getting closer to settling on a finish like you have on your 765. Exactly, what finish do you have as it doesn't look quite like powder-coated matte black, but rather dark anodized or dark sandblasted, etc? I really like the grainy look as it might blend in well with carbon fiber scales. It does perfectly match your scales.....and no worries on the wait times with blade4sell as he produces top quality custom work.

Last edited:
Hey Darkera, in my search for both lighter and darker color clips (as I'm torn on matching to my M390 blade or carbon fiber scales), it looks like I'm getting closer to settling on a finish like you have on your 765. Exactly, what finish do you have as it doesn't look quite like powder-coated matte black, but rather dark anodized or dark sandblasted, etc? I really like the grainy look as it might blend in well with carbon fiber scales. It does perfectly match your scales.....and no worries on the wait times with blade4sell as he produces top quality custom work.
The color on my image isn't that great, it is just the stock 765 mini ti-lock, which is a nice grey titanium with a sandblasted finish. Blade4sell matched the texture but the color is just very slightly darker, but not enough to make a difference. It's actually very impressive how close he got to the stock handles.

Yes, I ordered the scales from Rogue Bladeworks......along with the CF clip and CF back spacer, but want to keep options open for a titanium clip. I've been torn on matching the clip to the CF scales & CF spacer or the M390 blade. Essentially, I missed out on getting a 810DLC-1602 (beautiful Contego with the CF scales), so I'm doing my best to piece together my own M390 version. I love my 810-1401, but I got the scales with a bit too much blue vs black. And, after finally getting a 940-1, I'm so happy to also have a "bigger brother" version of the Contego (soon with CF scales). Gives me nice options if I want to rotate my edc big or small for the day :)

Rogue told me that when I place the order then they will start on making the CF scales. (will be a few weeks, plus i'm in Australia)

For my 810-1401 I bought some Ti spacers off knifekits and swapped out the backspacer,
but looking to buy a set of CF scales and keep the blade, spacers and original clip for a silver (polished) look with CF.

I also had a 940-1501 but sold it. I bought a blue CF clip for it from the ebay seller in Canada, which also fits on the 810.
You'll have the perfect small or large carry with CF looks to match.

Lol. I bought the original Contego (scales too rough) bought the 810-1401 (scales too smooth) and need to try CF now..
Lucky in love but unlucky in knives))

Back