Benchmade Griptilian handle modification

Several people have mentioned their disappointment with Benchmade Griptilians so I thought I’d let you know what I did to one of mine.

I hate the cheap hollow sound of Grips. But I love the Axis. As good as Grips are, they are almost embarrassing to show to someone because they tend to look, feel and sound cheap.
Why the beancounters at BM don’t add full liners to the Grip is beyond me.

I also love Doug Ritters designs. So when I bought a BM 552 I decided to fix it.

I filled several of the rearward waffle holes, inside the scales, with lead. Then I smoothed some epoxy over the top to seal it in. Some black permanent marker disguised it all. I really didn’t need to do this step since you couldn’t see the mods when it was all put back together. Everything is neat and tidy, no blade interference or anything. In fact, the scales look nice when it is apart.

The knife sounds like a quality piece now. It FEELS like a much nicer knife. The personality change is nothing short of amazing. It’s hard to describe. The knife feels ‘solid’ now.

As I recall, I only added about 1.5 ounces of lead, but it made a huge difference. The knife is balanced perfectly, something I hadn’t factored in initially, which make this blade heavy model all the nicer to use.

I posted pictures on the BM forum, showing the process, several years ago, but the BM mods didn’t appreciate my handiwork and removed it.

There are guys who have filled the holes inside the scales with various products, including just epoxy or silicone. That cheap “CLACK!’ goes away. They still feel kind of light though. Just remember, BM doesn’t condone this type of behavior.:D

Back