Benchmade Griptilian history

I’ve been trying to find any history on the Griptilian. When it was first sold by Benchmade, was Mel Pardue involved from the beginning, is there a way to identify when a particular one was manufactured, etc. thank you.

J jetfixer71 welcome to blade forums

I’m no expert on the subject.. pretty sure I remember first seeing a griptillian late 98 to early 2000 ( I may be confusing it with a pardue model though ).

Edit - Dr Google said 2001

Reactions: DMG
It's my understanding that the original design (Doug Ritter RSK) was a collaboration. Mel Purdue designed the handle and mechanics, Doug Ritter designed the blade, and Bill McHenry and Jason Willams designed the Axis lock.

It's also my understanding that the Benchmade Griptilian was first made in 2004.

I got all this information from Doug Ritters website. I tried to link it but apparently it's not a safe connection. You can find it by doing a Google search for "dougritter".

It's my understanding that the original design (Doug Ritter RSK) was a collaboration. Mel Purdue designed the handle and mechanics, Doug Ritter designed the blade, and Bill McHenry and Jason Willams designed the Axis lock.

It's also my understanding that the Benchmade Griptilian was first made in 2004.

I got all this information from Doug Ritters website. I tried to link it but apparently it's not a safe connection. You can find it by doing a Google search for "dougritter".
Thanks killgar. 👍🏼

Not sure about the exact timeline, but one way to identify when it was manufactured would be the blade steel. The early ones used 440C, then they switched to 154CM for a long time. I think the newer ones use S30V. Also, the Griptilian lineup has been truncated quite a bit, so a lot of variants that were available 15 years ago are no longer being made. They had a bunch of colors for both the full sized and mini, a thumbhole version that caused some controversy, etc.

This is true of the Ritter Grip but the regular grip was a Mel Purdue design that predates the Ritter by years.

jmh33 jmh33 You mean like the Yellows on the Mini-Grip John? :cool:

Did the Mini-Grips appear at the same time as the full size? Had this one since about '08

xAwg3FP.jpg

Not sure about the exact timeline, but one way to identify when it was manufactured would be the blade steel. The early ones used 440C, then they switched to 154CM for a long time. I think the newer ones use S30V. Also, the Griptilian lineup has been truncated quite a bit, so a lot of variants that were available 15 years ago are no longer being made. They had a bunch of colors for both the full sized and mini, a thumbhole version that caused some controversy, etc.
I have a Grippy in D2, bought from Cabelas.

I’ve seen a couple pictures of what is supposedly the first run of 1000 of the grip using 20cv. Clip side of blade has a number of 1000 on the blade face. Still trying to find exact timelines of when they first went to market and what years the steels changed. I don’t exactly know why I’m so interested other than the grip was my first real made in USA folder. Thanks for your input.

I’ve seen a couple pictures of what is supposedly the first run of 1000 of the grip using 20cv. Clip side of blade has a number of 1000 on the blade face. Still trying to find exact timelines of when they first went to market and what years the steels changed. I don’t exactly know why I’m so interested other than the grip was my first real made in USA folder. Thanks for your input.
The 20cv Grips with G10 handles were introduced in 2015, I believe.

(Apropos of nothing, here’s a CF/M4 Grip I traded for a long time ago. It’s the most ergonomic knife I’ve ever handled—nothing “cheap feeling” about it—which was a pervasive complaint about the hollow polymer full-size Grips when they were more mainstream.)
1dN1lS3.jpg

Firstly, that is fantastic looking. I’ve always liked the purchase and feel of the grip. I also like the FRN scales. Never any issues, but understand why some thought they felt cheap. I think I recall reading somewhere that the Grip launched in 2009? I emailed Benchmade, and requested info on its timeline. Hopefully they’ll respond. Thanks.

I got a little Griptilian history from Benchmade. First launched in 2001. Original steel was 154CM. No definitive year of blade upgrade, but steel changed to 440C. M2, and D2 steels also used in different variations. Current blade flavors include S30V, 20CV, M390, (my personal favorite). Pretty cool info for me, thought I’d share. Thanks to all that responded. Cheers!

I got a little Griptilian history from Benchmade. First launched in 2001. Original steel was 154CM. No definitive year of blade upgrade, but steel changed to 440C. M2, and D2 steels also used in different variations. Current blade flavors include S30V, 20CV, M390, (my personal favorite). Pretty cool info for me, thought I’d share. Thanks to all that responded. Cheers!
I thought the 440c predated the 154cm?

I carried a full sized BM Griptilian when I was in the Army. Late 90s early 2000s sometime, when it still had the oval hole and 440C steel.

Back