Benchmade Mini Grip 555 or 556..Aaaah!

Definitely plain edged,black handles - but modified sheepsfoot or drop point?

mini-griptilians.jpg

griptillian_open.jpg

Pick the one that flicks open the easiest. I'm willing to place bets the modified sheepsfoot will win. But I like the looks of the drop point and thumb stud. Those Oval alligator eyes aren't the prettiest.

:yawn: Blah Blah Blah

My edc is now the 555 because of the friendly and small looking blade. If Questioned I will say that it is a safety blade because it does not have a sharp point like the 556.

Can you buy both? If it's a workhorse, or workpony as it's the mini grip ;), why not get the 555 with partial serrations? That way, when the going gets rough, you don't have to get going to resharpen it as soon as if the whole edge were unserrated.

me ordering the 556...always liked drop points...but never liked serrations so i would go with black plain edged drop point...

Hey Guys..

Yup,, just got the mini grip over the weekend..
for sure the sheepsfoot blade..
Its a sweet little knife.. I really like it...

ttyle

Eric...

I just got a 556 recently with plain edge, and the thing rocks. Great construction, sharp blade, great lock, its one of the best bang-for-buck knife out there right now (altho it could be a bit bigger, but thats what the 551 is for). Either model will be a great knife, but I personally prefer the looks of drop points, but sheepsfoot blades are great for utility.

Mak

I like the shape on the 555 better.

If you are looking for one, click the "for sale" link in my sig. ;)

I have both the 550 and the 555. I like the plain edge sheepfoot on both blades. The 550 fits my hand better but the 555 is more sheeple friendly. If I am carrying a Griptilian the situation will determine which of the two I will carry.

My wife got me a 551 Drop point Griptillian for Christmas. Makes the edged thumb-ramps on most other pocket knives seem like repetitive filework, only not as pretty or handy as the Grip's.

The best part about the Grips is that you can't go wrong with any choice. Plain, combo, sheepfoot, drop point, you're still getting heavy duty cutlery at a good price.

The worst part about the Grips is that they're a gateway to Benchmade addiction. How can a $50-60 knife become so expensive? ;)

I hear that Thom, I started with a black 556, now just over a year later I own 4 CF941D2's(!!!!), and a 940 Plain Edge. my original beater 556 which gets carried 40-50 hours a week at work and nearly constantly off the clock, is smoother than ever and shows virtually zero wear and tear so far. I absolutely believe the Axis lock is the best thing since sliced bread.
Now Im patiently waiting for the new Ball bearing lock from Spyderco to filter into all of their knives, looks like a champ, but I want a Blue G10 handled(like on the c80 DODO), s30v bladed, Ball-Bearing lock equipped Native before I will spend anymore $ on knives.

Yes, those BM's will spoil you!:rolleyes: :D

Well, just to be contrary, I'm getting the 555, w/ teeth & eye, in PURPLE-I just ordered it this morning from Mike at New Graham. I love the color purple & this one reminds me of a Spyderco(I'm quite partial to Spydies). This will be my first Benchmade & judging from all the enthusiastic reviews, it may not be my last...Linda

Linda, I'm going to guess that those Spydies are going to be seeing more and more closet time as you realize how easy the 555 is to use...it's uncanny.
My mini grip gets a good 90% pocket time for this reason alone, it trumps my 941CFD2, 940, SAK camper, Spydie Mouse, Navigator, CRKT S-2, CRKT ApacheII, wedge neck knives, stockmans, etc etc etc. There is no comparison really!!!!(the 94x are close but still not as easy to handle)

I actually started out thinking I was going to be a Spyderco addict. Then I read some positive posts about the 555-556 and now I own 4 Benchmades and only one Spydie. Having said that, there are a few spydies that I still want. It is beyond me how you could go wrong with either the 555 or 556 in any blade configuration. They are IMO the best EDC going right now. I just bought a 941D2CF and its nice but if I had to decide on only one knife to carry everyday it would be the Mini-Griptilian. thanks for the forum. dtsoll

P.S. This is coming from someone with a sheltered knife life.:D :D

it's a close call, but i prefer the sheepsfoot. i find the hole a little easier to aquire than the stud. plus the blade shape naturally has more beef behind the tip area-- imho makes for a stronger all around utility knife. this is my workhorse EDC that i am not afraid to use. love it. :cool:

Thanks for your help guys. I went for the Sheepsfoot-bladed 555. After looking at past threads and other sites, it seems that Mini Griptilian owners have nothing but praise for their knife. The words "bang" and "buck" seem to appear quite frequently!
I am a little surprised that I have overlooked this knife until now.
I think I am getting over my Spyderco fixation!

You're probably not out of the woods, yet. That Spyderco company makes so many great knives that retail for less than what most Benchmades go for (with the exception of the Grip/mini-Grip family). Well, once you start buying things like the 806D2, 941D2CF, and 921 Switchback, you might be more of a Benchmade fanatic, but that won't detract from what Spyderco offers.

Back