Benchmade numbered first production knives

Other then having the number on the blade, such as 250 out of 500, does the first production runs really add any value to the knife?

No additional value gets applied to numbered blades for first production. Only versions that increase in value are prototypes and certain really small runs that come across every once in awhile.

Perhaps 20+ years down the road a collector could appreciate the "first production" markings. In the near term, there doesn't seem to be a difference. I can take them or leave them; it is truly a minor detail. If the knife functions properly, then :thumbup:

I wouldn't think they'd add any value unless it was number 1 and the right model. If I lucked up and received a number 1, I'd have to admit it be hard for me to use. I prefer mine unmarked, but I can do either. I'd guess a #1 marked 710 these days would go for a pretty penny to the right collector.

I wouldn't think they'd add any value unless it was number 1 and the right model. If I lucked up and received a number 1, I'd have to admit it be hard for me to use. I prefer mine unmarked, but I can do either. I'd guess a #1 marked 710 these days would go for a pretty penny to the right collector.

As far as i know, benchmade marked all of their 710 first production run with 1/1000. They started to mark them with ascending numbers a few years later.

As far as i know, benchmade marked all of their 710 first production run with 1/1000. They started to mark them with ascending numbers a few years later.
Oh yeah I remember reading that somewhere. Thanks for the clarification. Hmm well how about a #1 marked Infidel. That'd be worth a ton. Or even a #1 marked Griptillian.

True regarding the 1/1000 stamping, which upset a lot of people who thought they had something really special! Glad Benchmade changed their numbering system. :thumbup:

...does the first production runs really add any value to the knife?

Generally no, and I personally don’t care for any numbering on the blade (other than Gold Class collectibles, mostly because the numbering is discreet)..

I actually try to avoid first production knives.. Even if it means waiting a month or two after the initial release. I like to see if there are any reported issues (mechanism, F&F, etc.. etc..).

Example being the 761.. First initial batches had a noticeably weak detent. Picked my 761 up a year later - no issues and a confirmation from BM that they fixed the detent :)

I actively avoid them. I like my blades without a bunch of writing on them.

I don't mind them as I have a couple but I wouldn't seek them or pay extra for a first production

A2velud.jpg

Lowest number I've ever owned and it's one of my hardest users.

I have had a couple numbered ones....no extra value in my mind and I would prefer non-numbered blades.

Some collectors like a number synergy...like blade #556 on a model 556...but other than that there doesn't seem to be any significant premium to the numbered blades.

I would imagine, a Limited Edition piece would be more valuable than a First Production Piece although they are both numbered. And would only be more valuable to a collector who is interested with it. I have a Limited Edition piece and its also a keeper since it has a nice number on it. There are 499 nos somewhere else. For First Production pieces, depending on the market interest, apart from the markings may be produced in abundance. Its more of a personal preference IMO. Of course I wouldn't mind owning a 1st or last of the batch. I would be cool though.

I'm kinda late on this post but I have a 183 number 6 I dont use it just because of that lettering

Back