Benchmade pictures

JjyyNXJ.jpg

I replaced my broken omega springs on my Mini Freek with a .016" gauge guitar string. It now requires less force to pull back the lock bar and feels smoother. I'm curious if the guitar string will last longer than omega springs.

Also, I first tried using small paper clips. They technically worked, but just didn't have the springiness to travel as far as the lock bar needs without having a slight amount of play.

FYzoQyK.jpg

4ioQ0I6.jpg

m5VQpsZ.jpg

nw3wLUj.jpg

I replaced my broken omega springs on my Mini Freek with a .016" gauge guitar string. It now requires less force to pull back the lock bar and feels smoother. I'm curious if the guitar string will last longer than omega springs.

Also, I first tried using small paper clips. They technically worked, but just didn't have the springiness to travel as far as the lock bar needs without having a slight amount of play.

FYzoQyK.jpg

4ioQ0I6.jpg

m5VQpsZ.jpg

nw3wLUj.jpg
I bought some memory wire and a cheap set of jewelry pliers in a kit from Amazon so when the inevitable happens, I'm all set. Of course, I'll contact BM first to see if they will send me out omega springs (sending it south of the border is out of the question at this point) but I kind of hope they say no so I can start making my own.

edit May 6 2019:
The show side omega spring broke on my 943-2 Franken and I successfully replaced both springs. It took two times to get them right (I was in a hurry for a Dr appointment and was running late so they looked rather horrid) but when I got home I did another set that matched reasonably well to the originals. The action is stellar even though a little stiffer to push the lock (the wire is a touch thicker than the original stock wire).
Time will tell when I need to do this again but with my other 8 BM's, I'm good for life.

Last edited:
Back