Benchmade Tengu Tool Review

Hey BF,

A few words forward. I'm not a Benchmade fan boy. I am a small knife fan boy.

I love small knives. I love small keychain multitools. I'm not lost with a 2" blade and in most cases, I think you could do most anything with a 3" blade. All that said, I work mostly in an office environment and I can make due with a blade 2" or less. Easier to carry, no need for a larger blade and still functional is what I look for in a M - F EDC.

My smallest blade so far that I ownd was a Benchmade Aller 380. Easy to carry, but a bit obvious in the pocket. A bit wide, wider than it needs to be. Short bladed but not all that useful with the wide warncliffe blade.

Enter the Tengu. A 1.14" tanto ish blade that is very useful. I've cut boxes and packages and used it to cut left over steak and fish for lunch. Used it to pry a few cans and other objects open as well.

It's not a survival tool by any means, but this is the most useful, smallest, well made pocket tool I've ever used. Definitely a gentleman's Leatherman tool.

It certainly isn't for everybody, or most bodies, but if you like small knives, with multiple uses, you'd be hard pressed to find a smaller, more useful tool than the Tengu. If you are a steel nut, the 20 CV means you mostly likely will never have to sharpen it in your life time as well. (Just kidding of course but a great steel on a blade that won't ever cut much.)

Cool review, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I'm so happy with the big brother that I'm considering getting this wee one... even if I'm (much) more into big knives!

It's an acquired taste for sure. Probably over priced a bit as well but again, its handy if you don't have a bigger knife with you.

He misses his bro... both sold out in a day in Canuckistan, I feel blessed to have snatched that one.

oOZ8RIe.jpg

Back