Benchmade thumb stud breakage

Hi, im from Spain, sorry for my english.

A few months ago a good friend gave me a Benchmade Bugout 535BK-4 Aluminum, Cerakote M390.
One day I realized that the thumb stud was loose and I almost lost it.
When I tried to tighten the screw, it broke easily, without applying strong pressure.
In fact, in the image you can see two tones in the breakage of the metal,
which makes me think that it came with a factory defect,
the two tones speak of two breaks at different times.

I live in Spain, and since it was a gift from a friend,
so as not to bother him and ask for the purchase receipt,
speak directly to Benchmade customer service.

I sent them the photos and still I have not received any response since August 28.
It is not an easy part to replace since it is a special edition of the bugout.

Is this treatment by Benchmade normal?
Maybe someone here can give me some advice on how to fix the knife.

Thanks.

1693996693481.jpg

1693996693410.jpg

Are the thumb stud screws broken off and in the blade? Both thumbstuds?
Do they stick out at all from the blade so you can get a grip on them with a tool?
Close up photos of the blade (missing the studs) would help.

If the screw holes are clear, I am sure Benchmade would send you replacement studs.
They do send parts to overseas BM owners. Whereas within the US they require you to
send the whole knife into them.

Benchmade offers a Lifetime Warranty and in some cases will replace the blade. For free is a factory defect
and for a fee if damage is from abuse.
However the warranty only covers the original owner so you may want to bother your friend for the receipt.
If the stud screws are broken and stuck inside the blade there may be no alternative but to send the knife
to Benchmade USA from Spain.

To be honest with you, I have removed and put on thumbstuds on plenty of Benchmades, both factory and
aftermarket studs, and have never had any break as in your case.

Last edited:
Hi.
One bolt is screwed to the other and the blade is pressed in the middle.
I used two screwdrivers, one to lock, and the other to tighten, very gently,
otherwise they both turned at the same time and did not tighten.
Everything very gently, it is my best knife, and a gift from my best friend,
I think we all know how we treat those special pieces.
1.png

2.png

Are the thumb stud screws broken off and in the blade? Both thumbstuds?
Do they stick out at all from the blade so you can get a grip on them with a tool?
Close up photos of the blade (missing the studs) would help.

If the screw holes are clear, I am sure Benchmade would send you replacement studs.
They do send parts to overseas BM owners. Whereas within the US they require you to
send the whole knife into them.

Benchmade offers a Lifetime Warranty and in some cases will replace the blade. For free is a factory defect
and for a fee if damage is from abuse.
However the warranty only covers the original owner so you may want to bother your friend for the receipt.
If the stud screws are broken and stuck inside the blade there may be no alternative but to send the knife
to Benchmade USA from Spain.

To be honest with you, I have removed and put on thumbstuds on plenty of Benchmades, both factory and
aftermarket studs, and have never had any break as in your case.

OK, so all you need is a set of replacement thumbstuds.
First suggestion is to ask a moderator here to move your thread to the Benchmade subforum.
The reason is that a Benchmade Representative often answers questions there and may help in
getting BM to send you replacement studs.
Just click on the "Report" at the left bottom corner and ask to move the thread.
Clearly the studs that came with your knife are defective so try to get the receipt.
Second suggestion is that if you google "Replacement Bugout Thumbstuds" you will find many vendors.
You might find it quicker to just order an aftermarket set.

The thumb studs are aluminum. They can shear much easier than a steel thumb stud. Too much torque was applied most likely seeing the aluminum sheered off. Contact customer service and see what they can do. I am just an engineer but if you are overseas they may send them to you.

i’ve had benchmade send me several sets of thumbstuds over the years without any issue. last time was around a year ago. i call or email & they’re usually on the way to me within a day or two. give ‘em a call & im sure they’ll set you up

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Yes indeed the thumb studs are aluminum and I was aware.
As I mentioned, I tightened the screw carefully,
this is the first time something like this has happened to me,
and my first feeling was that the piece was defective.
When analyzing the images it is clearly seen that the part was already damaged,
there are two breaks, a first that must have fractured the core of the screw, possibly in the factory assembly process,
appears in dark gray in the image, and a second tear, in the outer crown of the screw, in light grey,
which broke easily when normal pressure was exerted, since the screw already lacked resistance due to the existing defect.

I already contacted customer service on August 28,
and except for the automatic response of message reception I have not obtained anything.

I do not want to confuse anyone, it is a magnificent knife, both the design and its construction,
I am very happy with the piece, and for that reason I would like to recover its original state
replacing the bolt.

The thumb studs are aluminum. They can shear much easier than a steel thumb stud. Too much torque was applied most likely seeing the aluminum sheered off. Contact customer service and see what they can do. I am just an engineer but if you are overseas they may send them to you.

Hello, I want to recognize the impeccable treatment of Benchmade.
Once they contacted me after my query and saw the photographs of the broken piece,
they only asked me for the shipping address, without incurring any costs, and I live in Spain.
I remember that since it was a gift from a good friend,
I did not have a purchase receipt, an issue that I mentioned to them: No problem.

Great customer service, or should I say the customer's friend?
1697002047522.jpg

1697002047513.jpg

Good for benchmade!

Hello, I want to recognize the impeccable treatment of Benchmade.
Once they contacted me after my query and saw the photographs of the broken piece,
they only asked me for the shipping address, without incurring any costs, and I live in Spain.
I remember that since it was a gift from a good friend,
I did not have a purchase receipt, an issue that I mentioned to them: No problem.

Great customer service, or should I say the customer's friend?
1697002047522.jpg

1697002047513.jpg

Good for benchmade!
Everybody loves a happy ending 🍻

Back