BenchMARK knives?

ilovekershaws

Basic Member
I recently heard of a knife company called Benchmark (not to be confused with Benchmade). Initially, I thought that Benchmark was another spin-off company trying to copy Benchmade due to the lettering and logo similarities between Benchmark and Benchmade. However, the knives that I've seen that were manufactured by Benchmark looked kind of unique and have piqued my interest as potential EDC's. I couldn't even find a website for Benchmark knives so I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about Benchmark reputation-wise or quality-wise. Are they a copycat?

Benchmark was a company that was around some 15-20 years ago and was associated with the late Blackie Collins.
I have a Benchmark OTF knife that incorporates an opening device in the pocket sheath/clip--pretty innovative
but doesn't really work very well. Other than that it is very well constructed and USA made. I consider it more
of a novelty that a serious knife for EDC.

The original BenchMark Knives were around in the late 70's through 1980's but they are long out of business. They were actually a division owned by a metals company in NC. They were based in of Gastonia, NC and had Blackie Collins do several knife designs for them. I had a couple of their different drop point hunter models with stag handles. All of their blades were 440C steel and were well made, well heat treated and finished. Their leather sheaths were as good as any made by the good craftsmen today. I sold both of my well used knives on ebay about 10-12 years ago and got pretty good money for them. I know the original knife company was sold at least one or more times (possibly even to Blackie Collins but I'm not sure) but the later knives under the different ownerships were lower in quality even though many of the models were similar and the name on the later knives was still BenchMark.

they are made in china I have one of their newer framelocks not bad though for the price

The original BenchMark Knives were around in the late 70's through 1980's but they are long out of business. They were actually a division owned by a metals company in NC. They were based in of Gastonia, NC and had Blackie Collins do several knife designs for them. I had a couple of their different drop point hunter models with stag handles. All of their blades were 440C steel and were well made, well heat treated and finished. Their leather sheaths were as good as any made by the good craftsmen today. I sold both of my well used knives on ebay about 10-12 years ago and got pretty good money for them. I know the original knife company was sold at least one or more times (possibly even to Blackie Collins but I'm not sure) but the later knives under the different ownerships were lower in quality even though many of the models were similar and the name on the later knives was still BenchMark.

The blade on mine is stamped "1st production run "94." It also has "USA" of the reverse side of the blade. 440c sounds like a good guess for the steel; although there is no identification as such on my knife
it takes an edge on the Sharpmaker easily and holds it a long time. Again, unusual but not something I want to carry much.

I've got some rice and some spam I could maybe sell if'n you guys were of a mind...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Benchmark OTF knife that incorporates an opening device in the pocket sheath/clip--pretty innovative
but doesn't really work very well. Other than that it is very well constructed and USA made. I consider it more
of a novelty that a serious knife for EDC.

same concept as the kershaw ripcord?

Back