Bensinger Handforged Knives Ulu.

My fiance and I recently were fortunate enough to get an Ulu made by Jim Bensinger. While I was skeptical how useful this tool would be it was beautifully crafted and scary sharp. I figured we would use it a few times and go back to a traditional knife. I was wrong. After it's first real use, I honestly doubt this tool will be far from our kitchen or garden.

Amanda and I were lucky enough to both get a deer this season. The Ulu was invaluable in the skinning and butchering process. I was not used to this blade style but it is very forgiving and easy to learn. Jim added another cutting edge to the inside of the hook that was great for getting under the hide and ripping through connective tissue. The curve of the blade was great for skinning and slicing through meat to trim it up and make steaks.

Amanda used this blade a lot more than I did during the entire process. She never once complained of hand fatigue or any ergonomic issues. We had to sharpen it once during the process of processing the 2 deer. We are not expert butchers so that says a lot for the heat treat and edge retention on Jim's work because the blade did hit bone several times.

We plan on getting at least one more of these down the road and we hope to enjoy this tool for many years.

Here are some pictures of it in action.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

The Ulu with Walnut handles and a sheath by trailbum.

22123955982_e9ba33a53a_c.jpg

21556167383_22ccd43fa4_c.jpg

Skinning

22771912422_0dd8502952_c.jpg

22796660941_d509d24c40_c.jpg

Removing meat from the animal.

22771875952_243f19b19a_c.jpg

In the kitchen doing a lot of cutting.

22788187335_e9bf72f7b5_c.jpg

Jeremy

Last edited:
Glad to see it getting a workout!
No luck in southern NH so far...well I killed a tick on my glove, so at least the ticks think there are deer here...

The ulu helped process a third deer this week. Once again it was the most used tool during the job.

Good luck in the woods Jim!

Jeremy

Back