Berk's dui chirra and model. Pix

I don't think this model is going to work as well as a wood one. Got a feeling that the half model is going to give the kamis too much leeway in thickness. And the chirras seemed to lack something on the model.

However, I've taken several detailed pix of the real version which will accompany the model when Pala goes back.

Berk, Pala shot down the idea of silver mounts on this one -- said the silver was too soft. However, he thinks he can get the scabbard done as you want it -- will search for some good quality brown leather and will conduct a search for the horns for karda and chakma. Might even be able to find an antique karda and chakma like the pix. You get a silver chape on scabbard.

Attachments

• berks dui chirra - 1.jpg
    berks dui chirra - 1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 407
Uncle, I had about decided that silver was a bad idea myself, so I will certainly abide by Pala's judgment. Frankly, if he can figure out a way to do it, I don't mind if he takes the original back to Nepal with him, even if I don't get it back:( . I'd really like to see this done right. I know that Bura can do this if he has the right model and the proper encouragement from Pala:D . Jim March gave up his katana to make the HI Everest Katana; if I have to do the same to create the HI military dui chirra, so be it - though I'd really like to get the original back if possible, I realize that once it goes away, it's purely Nepal Ho!:)
Berk

Too late. The dui chirra is headed back to you, Berk, along with a surprise gift from the HI staff.

Many thanks, tho, for great generosity.

Well, if you snooze you lose - sorry I wasn't fast enough to beat the famous HI shipping staff, but if Pala thinks it would help I'll turn it right around when it arrives.

Half a model is giving the kamis too much license. They'll make it heavier than we want.

No, Berk, but thanks again. I mentioned your offer to Pala and he declines for two reasons. 1) He fears the khukuri might get lost, and, 2) He is afraid he might be busted for weapons on return journey.

Is it just my eyes or is the model slightly smaller than the original?

Couldn't we supply the dimensions for the thickness with the model?

What about two molds? One of each side then glued together?

How many pieces of string would it take to reach the moon?

It's actually a little shorter but not much.

I'm sending measurements and weight of actual.

Thats my dream khukuri right there... really like that blade design.

Andrew Limsk

Pala's translation: Bura, make this goddamned knife exactly like this or you'll be missing a cajone -- or two.
We've sent the model, the dimensions, photos, and the boss's descriptions and exhortations:D If that doesn't get it,tell Bura I'm coming over with my dad's old Schrade stockman - that sharpened down spey blade has cut a lot of nuts!:eek:

Do you suppose this method would've worked for the Cherokee Rose as well?
Perhaps that's what will be said if it doesn't come in under specs.:D

Pakcik Bill

Would you please let us know the specs of that FOX Model. How heavy it will be in term of Khukuri weight and USD :D ;) :) :cool:

The weight is speced at 680 grams. That's a light weight for a knife this size -- it's the fullers.

Berk's commissioned first edition is going to be expensive because it will demand a lot of searching. The search for the horn he wants for karda and chakma could take several days and might even mean a trip to India.

For standard models with standard karda, chakma, scabbard if I stay at 10 bucks per inch I don't get into trouble. But, this method got me into trouble with the Falcata with carved scabbard and silver.

I'm guessing that Berk's no. 1 is going to come in at around $400 -- much depends on our luck during search for horn and leather. The standard version (I'm asking for two only for first run) I figure around $225 -- give or take $25 either way.

Be careful! We never did rule out a castration purpose for that "appendage" on Walosi's khukuri:eek: ;) :D

Brett, I think you did a great job on the model. And Uncle, if Bura wants to (I'm no longer leaving this to a generic "the kamis"- it belongs to the Royal Kami and BirGorkha foreman) he can do it - unless he's willing to admit the 19th century kamis, working with found steel of uncertain quality, with no electricity, and in a more unstable political situation - were better bladesmiths. I'm betting he won't admit that, 'cause it isn't true, and will rise to the occasion. Check your PayPal account.

And the chirras seemed to lack something on the model.

Is it just my eyes or is the model slightly smaller than the original?

It's actually a little shorter but not much.

It looks to me like the material poured into the female mold uniformily shrank a little as it dried. So the thicker parts shrank more than the thinner in an absolute sense--so the fullers in the model are shallower. And the most apparent disparity between model and original is the length, where the largest expanse of molding material is employed.

Perhaps another material could be used? One that depends on a chemical reaction, like two component epoxy does? I don't know, but I suspect that the stuff used depends on evaporation of a volatile solvent to set up and so it shrank a little?

Yeo Next time I'm using Bondo. Less shrink and less stink. Not to mention more control

Foxy

Back