Best 3V heat treaters other than Peters’s

AA Forge

Custom Knife Maker
Looking to move away from Peters heat treat because they just told me we are second priority for them right now. Being a full time maker that relies on them for my 3v and aeb-l that is unexplainable to me.

So my question is who else out there does a good low temper heat treat for 3V right now?

Thanks in advance!

Looking to move away from Peters heat treat because they just told me we are second priority for them right now. Being a full time maker that relies on them for my 3v and aeb-l that is unexplainable to me.

So my question is who else out there does a good low temper heat treat for 3V right now?

Thanks in advance!

Don't take it as an insult.
I talked to Brad a couple weeks ago about their current situation.
All non-essential businesses in PA are supposed to be shut down right now.
They have only managed to remain open because of certain government and aerospace contracts, and because they are doing heat treating for companies working on Corona-Virus stuff.
When that work runs out they will be forced to close also.

I just sent a batch to them fully expecting not to get them back for a few months.

They have only managed to remain open because of certain government and aerospace contracts, and because they are doing heat treating for companies working on Corona-Virus stuff.

I just sent a batch to them fully expecting not to get them back for a few months.

I’m not insulated, just frustrated and trying to work around it. I’m also not trying to drag them through the mud in anyway, just don’t want to rely on places where we are a second thought even under good circumstances anymore.

Right now supporting a smaller heat treater that does a good job isn’t a bad idea anyway.

The 3v low temper protocol is not complicated. Any heat treater who is set up with cryo should be able to do it. Nathan Carothers has some tweaks for his Delta heat treat. JT should have no problem. If you were in Canada, I would do it for you. I don’t personally use 3v anymore, but it’s the same process as z-wear, z-tuff, v4e. Those are my go to steels.

The 3v low temper protocol is not complicated. Any heat treater who is set up with cryo should be able to do it. Nathan Carothers has some tweaks for his Delta heat treat. JT should have no problem. If you were in Canada, I would do it for you. I don’t personally use 3v anymore, but it’s the same process as z-wear, z-tuff, v4e. Those are my go to steels.

if I had a closer place to get Liquid nitrogen this wouldn’t be an issue, but not a lot of options here. Thanks!

if I had a closer place to get Liquid nitrogen this wouldn’t be an issue, but not a lot of options here. Thanks!

it’s a 3h round trip for me to get LN. It’s just twice a year with my dewar, so it’s not that bad. Inconvenient, but manageable. Dry ice proved to be more of a hassle in my area.

it’s a 3h round trip for me to get LN. It’s just twice a year with my dewar, so it’s not that bad. Inconvenient, but manageable. Dry ice proved to be more of a hassle in my area.

I’m looking at a 2 hour round trip, but the folks at airgas tell me there is no way even the best dewar will keep it more than 2 weeks.

I’m looking at a 2 hour round trip, but the folks at airgas tell me there is no way even the best dewar will keep it more than 2 weeks.
Bs. My deware holds about a month or more, and it’s not a fancy one. It depends on how many blades your dipping.

how many blades do you heat treat with that?

I do batches typically. I also heat treat for another maker who is local. 30-40 blades per fill? I don’t find the number of blades is the big deal. The LN evaporates slowly over time. Over the past couple years, I did hundreds of samples for the charpy testing too. If you were heat treating every day, it might go down a lot quicker. It works out to a few dollars per blade. Maybe JT or other higher volume heat treaters can chime in on that.

I do batches typically. I also heat treat for another maker who is local. 30-40 blades per fill? I don’t find the number of blades is the big deal. The LN evaporates slowly over time. Over the past couple years, I did hundreds of samples for the charpy testing too. If you were heat treating every day, it might go down a lot quicker. It works out to a few dollars per blade. Maybe JT or other higher volume heat treaters can chime in on that.

I appreciate the help! I may only be doing 5 a week or so for now. I still work with a lot of carbon steel, so it gives me something to do right now.

thank you everyone!

We do 3v quite often and people seam to love it. We do the low temper treatment and keep LN In stock at all times as well as a -150° refrigerated liquid bath. Now that we have the bath we only have to fill our dewar about every 2 months.

Back