Best all around machete?

Am I the only one who saw that box of rusty machetes and gaped with jealosy?

Good luck with those big knives.

For those not already in the know, Imacasa is Condor's parent company, and were contracted to make the Marbles' machetes. All are excellent. :cool::thumbup:

Indeed they do! ESEE laser cuts the tangs of the blanks for a precise fit inside the scales and then engraves the blade markings.

Attachments

• machete-tang.jpg
    machete-tang.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 79
Nope. I have so many Latin patterned pieces right now that there are a few items on the "to buy" list ahead of it. I'd like one, though! It's essentially a micarta-handled Condor EcoSurvivor, though. :)

That's the reason I haven't gotten one yet either. Condor Parang and the little Bushcraft are next on the list for me. Might get those today.

Besides my funds are a little tied up in all that prototyping stuff right now. This is gonna' be sick. :p

Me too!

In the meantime I've been beating the snot out of my Bush Cutlass and Kumunga. I need to get out with some of my other pieces soon too. There just hasn't been any time for woods play lately. :(

Me too!

In the meantime I've been beating the snot out of my Bush Cutlass and Kumunga. I need to get out with some of my other pieces soon too. There just hasn't been any time for woods play lately. :(

How do you like that Cutlass? It's been raining for something like 3 days here so I haven't been able to get out and do much either. If it doesn't let up soon I'm gonna build a big boat and start gathering animals two by two, each according to their kind.

For dense green vegetation it's impossible to beat! It'll bounce off anything thicker than 1" but it zips right through dense grasses and brambles with ease. Great when blackberry picking.

Well, I can't say much for my machetes other than they work fine for me. About 10-years ago, I picked up three machetes (made in China) at Wal-Mart on sale for $3.98 each. There is no marking on them as to who they were made for. Wal-Mart contract I'd bet. I keep one in my truck and here's a picture of one of them that I've had stored in my shop and haven't used yet.

walmartmachete1.jpg

The third machete I keep on my tractor and use it on our property for minor brush clearing, etc.. The sage brush is pretty tough stuff but these cheap-arse machetes do a great job on them. They take a sharp edge easily and surprisingly, hold that edge well.

This is a picture of part of our backyard and beyond the chainlink fence more of our property up to and into the near trees on the ridge in the background. You can see some sage brush, etc..

backyardandpropertybeyo.jpg

Lots of nice looking machetes and cutting tools in this thread.

If that Wal*Mart one hasn't died on you yet then I think you've got the first one that's functional! Most folks complain of the handle scales exploding off and the blade bending into an S when used on anything heavier than twigs. :p

If that Wal*Mart one hasn't died on you yet then I think you've got the first one that's functional! Most folks complain of the handle scales exploding off and the blade bending into an S when used on anything heavier than twigs. :p

I just found one at my father-in-laws house that was distinctly S-shaped. I asked him why he bought it and he said " ::Grumble:: It came with the shed."

It is possible, though unlikely, to find the occasional gem from the factories of deepest darkest China. My friend Stuart has a gas station cheapo Buck 110 knockoff that takes and holds a good edge and still locks up good and tight after ten years. Of course that's the only such example that comes to mind at the moment.

When a Tramontina can be found for $6.00 and change it's hard to justify going the China-made route. :p

Edit to add: That's not to say that you can't get a good Chinese machete. I love my CS barong machete, and found their China-made line superior to the ones they get from Lasher Tools in South Africa. Too bad the factory that was making them burned to the ground and they decided to abandon the line. :(

Some good things do in fact come from China. Spyderco's Byrd line comes to mind immediately. I have a small (10" or so blade) golokish machete with nothing stamped on the blade but "China." Sweet little blade made from good steel. No idea of its history. Not even sure how it got into my possession. Just showed up in the knife drawer one day.

ETA: Just dug it out. It also says "Diamondio" on the blade. Also has a nifty homemade (not by me) dangler sheath.

Last edited:
I've heard decent things about the Diamond brand pieces but never gotten my hands on one to form an opinion myself. I don't care where a product is made--I care who makes it!

Here's a couple pics. Love this little thing. Thinking about some micarta scales for it, or maybe some better wood and tighter rivets. Makes a handy little kitchen utensil too.

0929100022.jpg

0929100021.jpg

Sorry for the bad smellphone pics.

Back