Best all round camping Fixed Blade knife ?

BURNSY56 said:
I'm very partial to the Dozier Pro Guide. 4 3/4" would place it in between the larger fixed blades previously mentioned and a small fixed blade. It is a nice carry and can perform both large & small tasks. You cannot beat Bobs D2 steel (60-61 RC) also.

Seems to be the one I grab most often when going camping....Great choice. ;)

I have an older Western bowie knife that i've used for the past 15 years. It does everything around the camp. From slicing food to chopping kindling for the fire. I use it to turn the meat on the grill or just sit back and whittle on a stick. Does the job for me.

Just got an e/m from the guy who designed the Behemoth. It seems Eric Fehrman and he collaborated on a very similar design that is now the Extreme Judgement. One hell of a do it all knife and about 1/3 the cost of the Busse custom. Something to check into. As for me I'm going to keep the Busse and keep using it. Mr. Bachan used it before I bought it, so why not? He didn't design it as a wall hanger or safe queen and I bought it in the same spirit.

Rob

wetdog1911 said:
Just got an e/m from the guy who designed the Behemoth. It seems Eric Fehrman and he collaborated on a very similar design that is now the Extreme Judgement. One hell of a do it all knife and about 1/3 the cost of the Busse custom. Something to check into. As for me I'm going to keep the Busse and keep using it. Mr. Bachan used it before I bought it, so why not? He didn't design it as a wall hanger or safe queen and I bought it in the same spirit.

Rob , I've asked a couple times if that was the case with the EJ and received no reply . Thanks for the info .

Chris

You say all around that includes travelling abroad? Then forget about blades thicker than 0.25" because some East European countries require registration of these knives as hunting weapon. Also forget about hunting and camping knives in general. If you would like to chop something then maybe axe will do well, but if you would like to be in jungles then I think it is better to have a machette.
So, my friend, I do not think there is a knife you would like to have except... kitchen knife!!! :D You can chop with it, it works as machette and it is legal everywhere! :)
Seriously, I had similar tohught before I started travelling to other countries for business. I take SAKs and Spyderco Delica (but Delica is illegal to carry in the UK!) for such trips. And Tramontina sports knife. It is really a kitchen knife, but smartened up. I do not take my Busse even though I bought it for foreign travels. :confused:
Regards,

First be sure to have a SAK always in your pocket - a model like the Victorinox Huntsman would seem like a good choice (about ~$22) -

53201_l.jpg

In terms of a fixed blade I'd look for a quality model that one would not be relucant to put to hard/dirty use and possibly abuse.

More and more I'm leaning toward the time and field tested and honored "Ka_bar" USMC knife (which can be found at about ~$40) -

4191217.jpg

--
Vincent

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/

Since you listed chopping as one of your requirements I would choose either a Fehrman or a Busse. If chopping was not on the list then I would select one of Bob Dozier's excellent knives.

FWIW... I try to not use living trees when I camp. I prefer to make maximum use of dead and fallen timber, both for fire wood and for tarp/tent poles. I can find safe ways to break fallen timber into usable sizes, so my knives are for cutting/slicing only... and Dozier's are awesome slicers. :D

AJ

Papillon, I have seen comments from others that are loyal to the Western Bowie, or its predecesors and descendents. Is your's an older model, with the carbon steel blades? :cool: The newer ones are nasty SS and plastic. :(

Fox Creek
my western bowie is an older model. not sure of the blade steel but it seems to hold a good edge. i got it from an old man many years ago. i installed new wood scale handles on it and ground the guard so it's flat and not the ''s'' shape like they come from the factory. the blade is a little discolored due to years of use. just got a new sheath for it. it will definitely be around for many more years.
papillon

I can't believe nobody has said this...Swedish Mora. One of the 4" models, by either Frosts or Erikkson (sp?), is all the knife you need. If you must chop with it, use a baton. A small belt axe/hatchet is much better suited to chopping.

Paul

Fehrman Final Judgement. Actually, I think any of the Fehrman survival blades would serve a person quite well. Great knives. Eric Fehrman and Fehrman Knives are definitely worth keeping your eye on. I think, when word gets out a little more, they will be VERY popular.

For only one fixed blade, I would take my Wasp, by Newt Livesay.
For something that's available, the BK9 is my first choice.

I would leave aside the chopping as it just does not fit in with the other requirements. If cost is a factor what about the Spyderco Moran FW it really is light to carry when weight is a consideration or the Benchmade Rant series the Bowie and the Drop Point. If cost is not a factory look at the larger Doziers.

I took a Becker (longer model) with me for a rainy week outdoors. Worked very well, great price (but yes, ugly green sheath), and it developed surface rust pretty quickly. It was raining, and no way of keeping it dry, once sheath got wet inside. Surface rust came off easy enough at end of week.

I guess there are trade-offs: price, steel, durability - pick 2?

IF I were to suggest a one carry knife it would be 5" or less. You can always use a stick against the spine to plit wood with it. You want an easy to sharpen edge in the 58rc range IMHO.

Back