Best belts for sharpening?

If I use a belt, usually something like a 220 jflex followed by a 400 or so, then stropped.. I much,much prefer sharpening on stones. Usually diamond plates..On my personal knives and kitchen knives I can sharpen one in just a few strokes because its already thin..
My point of view is that if you have to grind an edge then its too thick but that's just me..

I should have specified personally I prefer either diamond stones or water stones.

However I’ll be sharpening 50+ Knives for a restaurant once a month and I definitely will not be don’t that by hand ha.

Appreciate all the help!

If You do sharpening as a job then go to Tormek T7 sharpener. It is expensive but will do perfect edges.

When establishing edges I use a 220 grit belt for thin edges and 120-150 grit for thick/more obtuse(hard use choppers and the like). Then I’ll sometimes use a 400 or 600 grit I prefer to have a new belt as it grinds more consistently and keeps things cool. I also try and make sure my platen is clean of any build up under the belt. Lastly I’ll remove the burr on a paper stropping wheel loaded with white jewelers polishing compound. I use very light pressure to not build up heat. I can achieve any level of polish with this wheel, up to mirror. The paper sharpening wheel is nice because it’s hard and contacts only the edge. Unlike a buffing wheel that can go up to the bevel

I start my bevels with a wide diamond file, and finish with a Norton Fine India stone. Unless you grind wet , stay away from powered sharpeners, as there,s a probability of overheating the edge.

Back