Best Black Dye & Sealer for Sheaths?

K Williams

Gold Member
What black dyes and sealers do you recommend for refinishing brown leather sheaths? Thanks.

As long as the leather does not have a finish on it, Fiebings Black oil dye works well. It can take several coats sometimes to get the depth of color you want. Be aware, black dye is notorious for bleeding, sometimes for a long time. I assume by sealing you mean protective finish. If so, I would recommend a very light coat of Neatsfoot oil to help recover from the drying effects of the dye and then any quality leather finish or conditioner. I use Resolene, RTC, Montana Pitch Blend, Bag coat and others. All offer protection and each has advantages. Not knowing your plans for the sheath I can't make a recommendation but all work fine.
Randy

As long as the leather does not have a finish on it, Fiebings Black oil dye works well. It can take several coats sometimes to get the depth of color you want. Be aware, black dye is notorious for bleeding, sometimes for a long time. I assume by sealing you mean protective finish. If so, I would recommend a very light coat of Neatsfoot oil to help recover from the drying effects of the dye and then any quality leather finish or conditioner. I use Resolene, RTC, Montana Pitch Blend, Bag coat and others. All offer protection and each has advantages. Not knowing your plans for the sheath I can't make a recommendation but all work fine.
Randy

Thanks for the reply and recommendations. It will be for the stock Bark River sheaths. I will probably have to remove whatever coating is on them before dyeing them black. They will be belt carried, sometimes in the rain.

I did this a long time ago on a sheath, but never used any sealant or finish. They end product also had visible streaks if looked at closely.

Fiebings Deglazer does a good job of removing most finishes without damaging the leather. Streaks could be caused by residual finish or inadequate dye coverage. Difficult to tell the difference. Montana Pitch Blend works well for me with items exposed a lot to rain. Just need apply more periodically. I can't say it is waterproof and that is not my goal but it does resist absorption and usually things dry without spotting.
Randy

Fiebings Deglazer does a good job of removing most finishes without damaging the leather. Streaks could be caused by residual finish or inadequate dye coverage. Difficult to tell the difference. Montana Pitch Blend works well for me with items exposed a lot to rain. Just need apply more periodically. I can't say it is waterproof and that is not my goal but it does resist absorption and usually things dry without spotting.
Randy

Thanks

Charlie Ochs (inventory of the "Black Knife and Special Operations Bowie) told me in his experience if you want to dye a sheath black, first dye it blue and after the dye dries, then black. John

Back