Best Cane Swords?

I just drifted over from the Auto Kinfe forum. I'm a fencer and was wondering what the best cane swords currently available are.
Thanks

...are coming from the Burgers, in South Africa.

Check them out, over at their homepage

That, and they're usually at Spirit of Steel, over in Mesquite. I don't know if you can get to that, but it's a great chance to meet not only the Burgers, but any number of makers, many of whom are always looking for a new challenge. I sure you could find someone to make you one to your specifications, for a reasonable price.

HTH,

Kal,
I won't be able to get there anytime soon, but I have a brother who MAY be able to. Can you post the info?
Thanks

Well, the design is very nice but I'm not sure that 440C is the best material for a sword.

I prefer carbon steel (L6 or 1084) for my katana.

Again, I'm not sure about fencing sword.

I love my Burger Mk.II for more than half year albeit I use it only ocasionally (as a cane). What a virtue in it is its nice fit and finish. It serves as a well crafted walking cane than those made of aluminum pipes. My pal got shiny CF one, it looks too flashy compared to matt finished CF.

uncle, I love your avatar! Is it a true UNCLE custom? Do you also have new one made of H&K P7?

Hey WF,
This is a picture of a limited edition reproduction. Several years ago I could have bought one of the ones actually used on the show... for $15,000! I'll have to settle for making my own. I have a resin copy of a grip molded directly off one of the guns used on the show. It was damaged and I'm restoring it for the owner. I'm also making it more functional (the originals were just props that fit loosely on the pistols). Once I'm finished I'm going to mold it so I can make duplicates to sell.

Hello,
since the concensus seems to be that Burger sword canes are the best I am just letting you know I have one on Bladeauction.com at this
time if anyone is interested.
Thanks,
Frank Tabor

Yes, advertising is a fairly touchy subject. If you want to share it with us in terms of pics or whatever, you can do that without bringing up that it's for sale.

No harm done, but please be a little more careful.

Uncle, I am assuming, since you say that you have just come over from the Auto Knives Forum, that you are aware of the legal ramifications of carrying and/or using a sword cane. In almost any jurisdiction of which I am aware, they are considered concealed weapons and carrying one, let alone using one, would get you into very deep trouble with John Law, that is unless you are John Law in one form or another.

Hi Fuller,
Yes. It's like auto knives; I collect, but I don't carry...usually ;)

I own a Mark I, with the Tamboti Wood Handle, and Carbon Fiber shaft in matte finish. I have attached a photo. I know they are illegal to carry, I just wondered if anyone knows which states consider them illegal to even own.
cane2.jpg

Hi Woainga,
Don't cry, but I just picked one up on auction for $175.00!
I now have the Burger and a Cold Steel with the cruciform blade. The Burger is a better fit and the dagger grind blade is nice. But for the money ($90-95 from discount dealers)it's hard to go wrong with the Cold Steel. The shaft is fiberglass and Cold Steel claims it is almost indestructible, but the finish chips from what my local knife dealer told me. The blade is 22", but being a thrust blade you'd need some foil or epee experience to be as effective with it as with the short sword blade in the Burger.
Love them both. Will keep them both.

Great price Uncle, good for you. I never begrudge someone gettin a good deal, it may be my turn next. I've owned mine for awhile, and just wondered if I decided to get rid of it, who I could legally sell it to and who I couldn't.

Back