Best EDC for around $60??

aggiejason

Chillin' on Route 66
Hey y'all-

I'm looking to buy a new EDC for around $60 or less. I've got a Kershaw Ken Onion chive and I'm very happy with it. I love the speed safe opening! I play with it while I'm driving down the road everyday. :D (I'm an OTR trucker) Just looking to get something else.
thanks!
J

I got a Heat this past weekend at Blade and it is hard to beat for the price. Very happy with it. CRKT Hawk D.O.G is another that you might want to check out.

Thanks for the info! The Camillus looks nice. I have no experience with them and know zip about them. I couldn't find a pic of the Spydie. :(

I noticed that the blade length on the Heat is 3.75". I think I might want something with a blade length of around 3 inches or less just for carry comfort sakes.

Benchmade Griptillian and Mini-Griptillian. Awesome EDC's Gonna get one for my sister soon, but she doesnt know which colour hadle she likes!

Thor

aggiejason said:
I'm looking to buy a new EDC for around $60 or less. I've got a Kershaw Ken Onion chive and I'm very happy with it. I love the speed safe opening!

Two quite different suggestions -

Kershaw Ken Onion LEEK -
BlkLEEKs_S.jpg

Bead blast stainless steel Leek (model #1660) seen for under $40.
Black "boron" (actually Tungsten DLC) Leek (model #1660BLK) about $56
Rainbow Leek (model #1660VIB) ~ $56-$65

Or a SAK - Swiss Army Knife - look at the Alox handled models like the Victorinox Farmer -

MTG-53964.jpg

around $20! - that's a bargain for such a useful model
(note the small screwdriver tip on the can opener will work with #1 & #2 Phillips screws)
The woodsaw is also a marvel.

Actually if you buy the non-fancy Leek and shop around (use froogle.com) you can afford BOTH!

--
Vincent

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/

I was actually thinking about kinda collecting the Ken Onion Kershaws since I like the one I have so much. The Rainbows looks really cool and most of the collection is relatively inexpensive.

Mini Grip or a Spydie, something like the Native or Calypso Jr. The Leek is a goo knife too.

I'll second the Camillus Heat ( I already ordered it). And why don't you look at Ken Onion's Blur. That's a very nice knife for the price. I bought these two - that says it all about my choice. :)

aggiejason said:
Hey y'all-

I'm looking to buy a new EDC for around $60 or less. I've got a Kershaw Ken Onion chive and I'm very happy with it. I love the speed safe opening! I play with it while I'm driving down the road everyday. :D (I'm an OTR trucker) Just looking to get something else.
thanks!
J

If you already have the Chive, you've got to get the Leek. Same framelock design and assisted opening mechanism only larger.

I'd say Spyderco SS cricket. I got to play with one on a passaround and decied instantly that I had to have one.
It's like a little tiny recurved serrated sebenza ;)

Neko2

I have a ton of knives and I just keep buying more thinking each new one is going to be better than somehting I already have but the one I carry most over any other for EDC is the Spyderco FRN Delica with plain edge. It's light weight at under 2 oz and it rarely needs sharpening...the VG-10 blade is holding up very well!

Cheers,
Collecter

Of all my EDC knives, I have 4 in the 60 dollar and less range that I will carry as a primary knife for the day. The Spyderco Native, the Benchmade Mini griptilian, the CRKT HAWK DOG, and the CRKT Ryan B. I also have a spyerdco navigator, but I only carry that one as a secondary knive, never as my only knife. The Ryan B is a fixed, so probally not what your looking for. Of the other three, my native opens the easiest and holds a great edge, the mini grip opens and closes with a blur of motion, is easy to sharpen and easy to maintain, and the crkt hawk dog holds a edge, opens easily, but requires two hands to close easily. I can close it one handed, but the lock is slightly to far for my fingers to reach. Any of these three are awesome edc choices, and my recomondation is to handle each and make the decision on what fits you best.

I've actually been carrying the Fallkniven U2 for a couple of months. Sharpest out of the box knife I ever owned, including the always keen Spyderco's! No clip, light, plain Zytel handles, nail nick for opening. Steel is a "Laminated Super Gold Powder Stainless Steel" with a 64HRC Hardness stated on the box. Still sharp...

Back