Best ESEE combo?

So it was my birthday the other week and I've got some money to play with :D. I've been looking at the ESEE line long and hard and thought I knew what knife I was going to buy, the 3. Then I looked at the 4 and thought, if i'm going to get the 3 I might as well pay a little more and get the extra thickness and length from the 4. Then I thought screw the 4, im getting the 5! Then I realised I wouldn't have a small fixed blade because I'm new to the knife scene (my knife "collection" consists of an Ontario Rat 1 haha). Then I wondered...

What would be the best ESEE combo?

At the moment I'm thinking the ESEE 5 and Izula, but I wouldn't trust the thoughts of a guy with 4 posts and whos knife collection consists of a Rat 1 folder. Hell, if you can break it down to just one knife I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Red.

Oh, Lord.:eek:

This is a dangerous place to ask that question. I, myself, am something of a 'completist' -- so my answer would probably not help you.

But ... if I screw myself up really tight ... I guess:

Izula or Izula II and a -4.:)

Whew. That was tough.

ADDED: I very seldom limit myself to just 1. But if it was just one ... the 4, for me.

Buy a fixed Hest and a 5. Or a Hest Folder and a 5. Then, you'll probably then want an Izula. No, you WILL want an Izula. And then you'll want a 3. Then...

The 5 is my favorite ESEE knife... It's badass, it's heavy, it's designed to cut you out of a downed aircraft and survive thermonuclear warfare (and even absorb some of the radiation from the nukes to make it a true destroyer of worlds)

I would have to say though that you'll probably find more general use out of the 4. You can use it in a variety of situations that range from the mundane box cutting to camp chores and general survival. It's the perfect combination of size and function for probably the widest variety of tasks.

With all of that said... the 5 is just badass... it's even got that bow drill pivot. I don't even know how to make a bow drill, but apparently that pivot will come in handy in the event I ever learn.

For the other knife, grab a fixed HEST or an Izzy 2 (for the handle length if you have large hands like myself)

I think it depends on what they will be used for? Hiking, car camping, EDC, bug out bag?

For me, it has everything to do with weight. Lightweight (izula, 3, or 4) for overnight hiking, motorcycle trips, EDC. Heavy (5, 6 and junglas) for car camping, etc. I'm the guy that used to saw the end of his toothbrush off to save a few ounces on a trip... hey, it all adds up.

Hmm If it were me, I would get the Junglas and the 4, Izula, Izula II, or Hest. haha any one of the four smaller blades and a big choppa!!

I'm a minimalist.
Get a $5 machete.

In the woods a 4+Izula is all you need.

If I honestly had to have just 2 in a combo and never use the others, it would be the ESEE-6 and Junglas for me.

Anyone with a clue teamed with any ESEE = perfect combo.

Seriously though, what's the situation? I know for deer/elk scouting, I'm depending on the ESEE Machete and the 3.

ESEEcollectionJan2011002.jpg

I'm not sure what the perfect ESEE combo would be, but I'm sure an ESEE-6 has to be one half of it...

I've had the same quandry. I now own two ESEE'S so far.
I'm not sure what the perfect ESEE combo would be, but I'm sure an ESEE-6 has to be one half of it...
YUP! A 6, and an Izula II for me. The perfect starter pack. ;)
-Bruce

if you can sit on the cash for a little bit, i'd suggest waiting for the 3 folder to come out. that + a 5 or 6 would be the best combo IMHO

I've had the same quandry. I now own two ESEE'S so far.

YUP! A 6, and an Izula II for me. The perfect starter pack. ;)
-Bruce
+1
or if you're into bigger blades, the 4 w/TKC scales and a Junglas.

My first advice would be to just get them all...Ive already starting walking down that path.

but limiting it to just 2

Izula
ESEE-5

Back