Best Fit and Finish U.S. *Manufactured* Traditional Folders

Hello all, this post is probably resurrecting an archive post, but I'd specifically like to hear opinions on who has the unquestionably nicest F&F of all Traditional folder brands MANUFACTURED in the U.S.. (Price points included as well just for reference) . *Archives here show Makers who now unfortunately manufacture overseas. China, Taiwan etc.* Some Bokers, Bucks, H&R, Schrade, Rough Riders among others are made in China. They may look nice but I'm only interested in knives that are USA made. Foreign companies are included if Fit and Finish is right but they have to be crafted here. Thanks!

Probably the Case/Bose collaborations, but those are $300+, and to be honest I'm not sure if they count. They seem to be the equivalent of "mid-tech" or "semi-custom" knives (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). As far as full scale production, Great Eastern Cutlery has the best f&f, hands down.

I think its safe to say that Gec is one of the best if not the best traditional knife brand, some tend to be a little bit more expensive then others but for the quality you’re getting i think it’s well worth the price.

I love Case knives, I really do. However, they have issues (but still put out some nice examples, I have yet to buy a sowbelly with any issues). I love my Queen cutlery knives, they have some serious issues. Great Eastern Cutlery is very consistent and has exceptional quality, definitely the best as far as QC goes.

Older queen/s&m are pretty good too but can be a gamble if buying in the bay. good pictures help but most folks would rather hold the knife and examine before any money changes hands

Case Bose and GEC are going to be neck and neck. Both brands will give you a dud every now and again. For my money I'm a Case Bose guy based purely on materials, blade steel and grinds. My Coffin Jack is absolutely flawless. If I handed it to you right now you'd swear it was custom and I only paid $268 brand new for it. That's less than some rarer GEC models that won't touch it for fit and finish. My Dogleg Jack and Cattle Knife are damn close to perfect to the trained eye. Both are better than any GEC I ever handled but were $300 and $375 new respectively. I had an ebony WT that was a let down and I paid full retail for that one, $400.

There aren't very many companies still manufacturing knives in the USA. You can count the companies making pocket knives on one hand... Bear and Son, Case, GEC, Queen, and Utica. And we rarely see knives from Utica and Bear. With so few companies still making knives, generalizing isn't necessary and often misleading.

Also there are some very large differences in manufacturing. Buck and Case manufacture knives very differently than GEC. Case's Bose collaboration knives are manufactured very differently from their regular production Case knives as well as knives from other manufacturers, etc. Also, I assume that you mean present day manufacturing but over the years things have changed and what applies now may or may not be the same for older knives.

The Case Bose collaboration knives are cut by wire EDM, have mill relieved liners, and bronze pivot bushings. I've never seen any variation in the parts since they are cut by wire EDM. The way these knives are made is very different than Case's other knives and knives from other manufacturers. The hand assembly is where variation can and sometimes occur. Collectors tend to obsess over these often minor finishing details. Unfortunately, sometimes minor details distract collectors from more important differences in construction. These knives are more costly to manufacture and they generally cost over $300.

GEC and Queen are less automated than Buck and Case. They don't have pivot bushings or mill relieved liners. The parts are typically punched out (some parts may be cut by water jet). In general, GEC is producing knives with very little automation and lots of skilled labor. The are producing very high quality knives using old fashioned manufacturing. That doesn't mean the knives perfect though. These knives are also expensive compared to others.

Queen has gone and is going through changes. If I recall correctly they recently announced hiring a new master craftsman.

I could write a laundry list of finicky complaints about knives from any and all of these companies. Even from "the best". But I'd rather enjoy knives from ALL of these companies. There are only a few left. Appreciate them while they're still around.

Buck makes excellent knives and generally the F&F is okay, not great but okay. I have 2 Bear & Sons that are solid knives, both stockman (3 7/8). Fit was fine but Finish needed some serious work with sand paper and Mother's before I would carry either. No longer made, nut my Schrade USA knives are fantastic F&F especially when you consider the original cost.
Case knives are my favorite the F&F on ones I have purchased in the last few years rivals anything I have seen from GEC and at half the price.

If the thread did not go any further I think GEC would win out on this one.

Writing as a European, I have to say that if a knife has 'issues' or serious quality disappointments then sending it back to the USA is expensive, time consuming and possibly futile... With this in mind, I think about the dozens of knives I've bought over the years from America.

Buck, CASE, Canal St. Queen/Schatt, GEC have all given me a great deal of satisfaction. Fixed blades from Bark River and Hess Knifeworks- the latter has been excellent, the former really rather disappointing in durability- not cheap in price though!

However, I've never had a knife from GEC that has had any serious F&F issues, certainly some have disappointed as I didn't care for the pattern or execution, but I've never had one that I thought I have to return. Certainly, I've had fine knives from the other companies (particularly Queen's D2 range from the early years of this century) but I've had a few unpleasant examples from all the others, yet to have one from GEC though. Now, I'm by nature intensely suspicious of group-think or fanboyism, so when I hear the praise for GEC I instinctively bridle, but in my case at least I can say the QC is very well monitored and they do not appear to send out unsatisfactory knives. On fanboyism again, there was tons of that at one time (prob still is...) about Bark River and the greatness of everything about it and the proprietor- it simply did not match my experiences though. I have criticisms about GEC, its miserly allocation of stainless knives, no sunk joints knives really, some of the patterns' proportions, drought in new frames plus refusal to re-issue certain models to keep up collector value but I cannot fault its QC programme. They are far more consistent than the other manufacturers, end.

Last edited:
Back