Best forging tonges shape?

What shape jaws work best for holding knife thickness material while forging? The ones I have dont seem to give me enough grip on the metal. Maybe it has also something to do with the distance between the handles when closed.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Pad

I prefer "U"-box jaw tongs. I have them in several sizes for various thickness and width blades. They are superb for forging bevels. Tom Tongs can't be beat.
Stacy

I prefer "U"-box jaw tongs. I have them in several sizes for various thickness and width blades. They are superb for forging bevels. Tom Tongs can't be beat.
Stacy

I've got one pair. Several would be a good idea. I'd spend less time looking for them. I was surprised to see they aren't made in the US.

Almost off topic, but I bought a set of the Heat Treating tongs from Jantz - and they just plain suck!

With the handles fully together, the jaws are still about 1/16 apart. No chance of holding an envelope and even 1/16 steel swivels and would drop easily.

I imagine they'd be fine for heat trating 3/16" in a forge, but who'd be crazy enough to do that? :rolleyes:

Rob!

They're not made in the US, but they are made from a medium grade tool steel, so they're pretty durable, and with the cost of shop time, a pretty good value. I've only got 2 pairs of tom tongs myself, but iv'e got all sorts of other tongs, so i didnt really need many pairs.

As far as the best tongs go? Whatever you feel lets you hold your metal the best. Some people grip their steel differently so what works for one person may not work best for another.

Thanks for the info. I'll look around for these tongues. Sadly I probably find them up here in Canada.

Pad

Thanks for the info. I'll look around for these tongues. Sadly I probably find them up here in Canada.

Pad

Here's a link to some decent tongs: http://www.riversidemachine.net/item539706.ctlg I bet they will even send to Canada. Al's use to have the type that Stacy mentioned but I don't see them there. The right pair of tongs will really make a huge difference. Off Center Forge also makes some great tongs.

Here is the source for Tom Tongs and other tools.Get on their mail/email list. They often run ,"Buy on - Get one" sales on tongs.
http://ozarkschool.com/
Most farrier supply and places like Centaur Forge carry them ,too.
Stacy

Ummm am I the only person that holds onto the barstock for most of the forging process? I usually only use tongs when I'm finishing up the tang and during heat treat.

I agree with Will. I like to forge from a large bar of flat or round, and use tongs when finishing the blade up. When doing that, I like wolf-jaw tongs. Just my $.02 worth:rolleyes: Someone mentioned Kayne & Son. They are good folks to deal with. I've also done business with Centaur Forge, and they are good to deal with too. Can't go wrong with either place! Here's a link...

http://www.centaurforge.com/aboutus.asp

Thanks all for suggestions.

Dave, I will look that up. They probably don't have a website. I would like a real anvil too eventually. Nice to know somebody here that is close well closer than all my US friends anyway. ;)

Will, I do too but sometimes I find myself doing more than just finishing the tang. Maybe a little tweaking of the overall shape or having just enough of the bar left for the knife. I don't like to waste good steel. ;)

Pad

Pad there is a Farriers supply store in bromont Quebec i got most of my tongs from them

dave

The only bad thing about going to a farrier's supply is almost all the tongs are related to holding horseshoes. At least the few I've been to here in the US are that way.

Will, Your doing fine by holding onto the long bar of steel.

These are the two tongs I use the most, the others could get tossed and not be missed. The top I use mainly for gripping up to 1" X 1/4" bar and also used after I have a tang forged. The bottom set I got mainly for forging axes and hawks but still haven't used it for that. They will grip up to 1 1/2" X 1/4" bar comfortably. Also used for holding round or square stock. I know one inch and larger will work but not sure about how small it will hold. It will also hold vertical or horizontally. Last but not least hold a knife by the blade if need be.
IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

The BEST tongs are the ones that FIT the stock. That is why you see a rack of tongs in blacksmith shops. Knifesmiths do not need the wide variety of tongs but if you plan on forging some odd stock get or make the proper tongs. The time or money spent will prevent hours of aggravation and possibly ruined project or even worse an injury. Capture the stock fully. Box Jaw and square jaw are the best but they need to fit. Trying to forge 2" material with 1" tongs is possible just not practical.

Back