Best Gentleman's folding pocket knife

Agreed, I've been tellin' people for the last 10 years that if they were just gettin' into collectin' Colonial and Imperials were the way to go. I have some older premium knives by both those companies and you're right I never pay more that $10, usually more like $3-$5.
My only colonial is a large Vic style scout made for Sabre, and it was definitely well worth 50 cents. It may just be 440a but takes a great edge.
Perfection in a knife is a great thing to look for, but sometimes you gotta appreciate knives that just plain work.

Here's my pic of the Galazan Shotgun Sidelock cover folder with Rose and Scroll engraving.

TumasT5.jpg

I have been watching this thread like crazy. I am off tomorrow and will be posting some pics of my gents knives, which for better or worse, is the majority of my collection.
Thsnks for being awesome guys,
Mike

I have been watching this thread like crazy also. I think the OP is onto soething.

One requirement he mention is a thin handle. Most of the suggestions are a thick handle (to thick for me) I like a narrow handle and a good blade to grip ratio.

The best one I could come up with is the Chris Reeve Umfan. I had one years ago but sold it because someone offered me a lot of money for it. But since the OP never mentioned price I thought I would bring this one up as a suggestion. Wish I could find something similar that is similar.

notice the Umfann does not have a pocket clip and is tiny compared to the small sebenza:

DSC01555.JPG

Mercator copper or brass.

IMG_20170202_103253.jpg

Zieg

To the thin handle point, the Mercator has the thinnest handle of all the suggestions so far. I put coins in the pics to show thinness. The first image has a quarter sitting inside the handle.

IMG_20170121_154358_1.jpg

IMG_20170121_154322_1.jpg

Zieg

To the thin handle point, the Mercator has the thinnest handle of all the suggestions so far. I put coins in the pics to show thinness. The first image has a quarter sitting inside the handle.

Zieg

Zieg

I personally like my black Victorinox Executive SAK. IMO, it makes a fine "gentleman's knife". Lots of useful features in a still-slim and extremely pocketable profile.

In a completely different category, and MUCH pricier is the CRK small Inkosi. Not overly thin but not too thick, either.

Jim

^ Really digging those Gerber knights!

You can see Al Mar's influence on them, Gerber International had some great knifemakers in the 80s, Al Mar, Blackie Collins and Pete Kershaw to name a few. The Silver Knights of the 80s were the best, F&F were up there with handmade. The very first time a knife ever ticked all the boxes of what a quality knife was according to the collectors books.

Used to pick them up for the price of a 6 pack of domestic beer and a locally made large pizza all day long. Nowadays you're lucky if you can find the old ones and they'll cost you dinner and drinks for 2 in your more upscale city restaurant. Every once in awhile I still come across one for a 6 pack and a pie but I usually had just bought a pizza and beer and don;t have the money to buy what I found. ;)

You can see Al Mar's influence on them, Gerber International had some great knifemakers in the 80s, Al Mar, Blackie Collins and Pete Kershaw to name a few. The Silver Knights of the 80s were the best, F&F were up there with handmade. The very first time a knife ever ticked all the boxes of what a quality knife was according to the collectors books.

Used to pick them up for the price of a 6 pack of domestic beer and a locally made large pizza all day long. Nowadays you're lucky if you can find the old ones and they'll cost you dinner and drinks for 2 in your more upscale city restaurant. Every once in awhile I still come across one for a 6 pack and a pie but I usually had just bought a pizza and beer and don;t have the money to buy what I found. ;)
The loveless city knife is another classic btw! Love that one!

If you want a slim knife that can take the work you want to dish out, you want a:
Benchmade 940 variant
Spyderco Air
Spyderco Slysz Bowie

Last edited:
Small sebenza for sure. Also agree with a alox cadet. The BM 940 is also a good one but a tad big imo. The small sebenza is perfect and is a lot tougher for times you might need it to be. Just the right size. I carry mine in dress slacks loose in pocket and still comfortable.

It is a bit large for a "Gentleman's" folder, but it would excel as a slim carry, work knife option which is what his uses described, regardless of the verbiage that he used...

I can use an original Horace Kephart in the kitchen, and say it is my kitchen knife but that doesn't meant that it isn't a bushcraft knife by any other measure.

It was a good knife day, score for the day, an engraved Connecticut Shotgun Galazan Sidelock folder. Stopped at a flea market and ran through real quick. I found a table of knives from a collector/accumulator who was askin' stupid prices for Chinese knives. Looked like he bought one of those dealer boxes from what's his name on late night/early morning tv and was askin' the MSRP which was 50X what it was worth. He had every wannabe biker and bada** buyin' like crazy from him.

On the far end was a box full of old colonials and cheap US made tin shell knives, Chinese SAKs and the usual garbage you see in such places. I tried striking up a conversation but he kept talkin' down to me like he was all the wannabes. At one point he said the one thing you should never say to me, He told me I didn't know a good knife when I saw it. I tried again and he dismissed my comments as those of an uneducated knife wannabe user/collector.

I was just about to leave when I saw this with a $30 tag on it, I talked him down to $10, (I think he just wanted to get rid of me) he looked at the knife and said he didn't recognize the name and said it was probably from Pakistan and he'd take $10. I knew lookin' at it that it was worth more than I paid, I could see the marks from the engraver's tools on it, it was hand engraved and although it wasn't Ray Cover's level of work nonetheless there was a lot of work went into it.

He was an idiot and as I left I pulled out the large Ebony inlay Sebenza 21 and cut the string off the price tag and before I left, he told me he can get me all kinds of Sebenza s for $50 each. I shook my head, pocketed my new treasure and left him to wallow in his ignorance.

This is a web shot of what I got, I'll post some real pics later.

k0501-2t.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

ETA, after closer inspection I stand corrected, both sides are identically engraved so I'm fairly sure it was laser engraved and then run uncertainty a surface grinder to bring out the highlights. Still for what I paid for it, I'm thrilled.

Here's a pic I took.

Hj9zV7o.jpg
Just got the full size OAL 6 7/8 on ebay shipped for 24 bucks...that said these are available from the maker for 85 plus ship..So I think I did ok..cant wait

Back