Best Katana for about $800

What are your opinions on the best 27"-29" bladed Katana in the $800 range. Its got to be a traditional looking sword. Fully functional, Handles well, fast, and a good cutter. I would really like it to be a beautiful sword too, possibly with a decorated saya. Something that looks as nice as this, http://www.swordsofdestiny.com/Musashi_Glorious_Dragon_Samurai_Sword_p/ss755.htm

I'd like to spend more around $500 but would go up to $800 if the sword was right.

Why not just get that Musashi? They are fully functional, just
order it from a decent retailer like SOM or True Swords, not
someone off e bay that sells seconds without disclosing it. I believe they are worth the money and I believe you can get one with the 1060 blade
for the price of that one. I ordered one off ebay but it was a second. Sent it
back and got a through hardened 1045 blade and I like it so far.

Use the money you save to buy a gun.

What are your opinions on the best 27"-29" bladed Katana in the $800 range. Its got to be a traditional looking sword. Fully functional, Handles well, fast, and a good cutter. I would really like it to be a beautiful sword too, possibly with a decorated saya. Something that looks as nice as this, http://www.swordsofdestiny.com/Musashi_Glorious_Dragon_Samurai_Sword_p/ss755.htm

I'd like to spend more around $500 but would go up to $800 if the sword was right.

look at the paul chen/hanwei stuff

Well, I am impressed by your interest in katana so I went ahead and did some window shopping for you. I love musashi and I have many musashi katana. But I think this is more what you were looking for. You can choose from many different classes and then customize within those clases. So you will get just what you like and not be stuck with a katana that is, in truth, not 100% of what you want.

http://www.iaito-katana.com/

Tell me what you think.

Well, I am impressed by your interest in katana so I went ahead and did some window shopping for you. I love musashi and I have many musashi katana. But I think this is more what you were looking for. You can choose from many different classes and then customize within those clases. So you will get just what you like and not be stuck with a katana that is, in truth, not 100% of what you want.

http://www.iaito-katana.com/

Tell me what you think.

an Iaito is not a blade to use for cutting..don't even try it.

There are shinken on that site, but you're looking at 4000+

an Iaito is not a blade to use for cutting..don't even try it.

There are shinken on that site, but you're looking at 4000+

I know now. I just looked at thier site and was shocked at the live blade prices...outrageous. I will do more research and get back to this.

look at the paul chen/hanwei stuff

I agree for the money cas paul Chen has some great stuff in that price range

You can find good deals and as long as it is a quality seller ebay is fine make sure they have a return policy because not everyone is perfect and it is nice to be able to return if there are any issues and get another

I have been collecting japanese blades for along time and when I started I hunted antique nihonto and then modern forged pieces regardless back then as now to get a new custom real forged blade from a good smith they start in the thousands

I thought CAS Hanwei was junk till a friend turned me on to them and I am quite impressed . They are far from high end custom swords but as users and entry level to modestly nice swords they are great.

I picked up 6 or 7 of them in the last few months includeing a beautiful Musashi Daito for 250 on ebay I believe this sword lists for over 800. You can get them at a very resonable price
SH1016.jpg

I have been cutting with a Shobu Zukuri Raptor series blade and thus far it is holding up very well.
1422_big.jpg

The last was The Oni an L6/ Bainite blade that I am very impressed with
SH6018KLG.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I don't care for is the super long tsuka, although they will make them shorter for you. Our dojo ordered quite a few with custom sized tsuka.

Cas Hanwei offers so many different models you can find the length tsuka and blade length that suits your taste and needs

Just shop around you can find them for alot less than are advertised

I like CAS Hanwei.

If you would be interested, I can explain what I look for in a sword for tameshigiri....it gets fairly involved, so if you are NOT interested and just want something to cut cardboard tubes, pool noodles, water filled soda bottles and be pretty on the wall, say so, and I won't waste my time, and will recommend that you just buy the one that you initially posted.

I'm the friend that turned jparanee onto CAS.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks for all the input. There are so many nice looking swords out there that seem to cut well from reviews. That Bugei dragonfly katana has an exceptionally beautiful damascus blade and a very nice looking Hamon. I've been researching for about a week and am still not so sure which I'll end up choosing.

I like this one,
http://www.swordsofmight.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=619
I've read some really good things about the Chris Zhou forge. Particularly that the lower end models cut like their $2000 versions.

I'll probably end up waiting a little longer and researching more. I'm extremely picky with this kind of thing. Wouldn't life be much easier if you could just walk into the blacksmiths and pick out a sword? Unfortunately the only places that sell swords around here just sell cheap Chinese knock offs.
I've been a knife collector for years but I'm new to swords. I'm trying to begin a collection of different medieval, and Japanese swords and weapons. I have absolutely no interest in anything that can't actually be used. In my opinion a display only sword or knife isn't a sword or knife at all.

I like CAS Hanwei.

If you would be interested, I can explain what I look for in a sword for tameshigiri....it gets fairly involved, so if you are NOT interested and just want something to cut cardboard tubes, pool noodles, water filled soda bottles and be pretty on the wall, say so, and I won't waste my time, and will recommend that you just buy the one that you initially posted.

I'm the friend that turned jparanee onto CAS.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson
Actualy, I would love to hear what you recomend!

Back