best Khuks for military

If you took any one HI khuk into the infantry, what would it be? I think its interesting that those Marines took mostly AKs, one of the biggest and heaviest around. I've heard a few say the Gelbu Special. I haven't handled many Khuks but from what I know I would pick 18"Chit or GS. What would you pick?

If I were still in I would use a 18" GS.:D The GS offers the best balance of weight, lenght, balance and strengh in my opinion. And it makes a fierce weapon as it's very fast and easy to control.

My second choice would be a 18" Siru. :)

I imagine personal preference plays a big part, along with how much weight/bulk you can put up with. I just ordered a 15" Sirupati this morning to pack in my duffle bag in case I wind up going this trip. A 15" Siru is kind of small as khuks go, but laid alongside an AK 47 bayonet, or an issue Kabar, it occurs to me that it'll more than hold it's own. Still, you wouldn't go wrong with an 18" GS or an 18" Siru, ain't many trees need chopping down in the desert.

Sarge

Good question Skeltor.
I used to sit in the barracks and think about all the "stuff" I was goin' to use. My Randall, S&W .38, starlight scope etc. I didn't carry anything but what I had to, and threw most of that stuff away while running. I did not want anything to slow me down.;)
Just your weapon, ammo, and water.
:eek:

I want to add, I might have been a little over weight, 190 lbs, but I thought I was tough. Home on leave most didn't reconize the "skinny" kid
:D

Sam

Still, you wouldn't go wrong with an 18" GS or an 18" Siru, ain't many trees need chopping down in the desert.

Sylvrfalcn,

Chopping trees wasn't what I had in mind for the GS, there are different limbs to take with the GS that aren't wood if you get my meaning.:D

I have a WW II that would be my first choice for a battle blade (though I usually have a Chitlangi in my ruck).

I think any 18" khukuri is about the ideal combat size for most folks of average stature, and the choice of blade style is a matter of personal preference. I would go with the sirupati style that was good enough for the Rai and Limbu who made up the majority of the old Gurkha regiments, though the recently developed Chitlangi variant is a tempting alternative.

It will be painfully obvious from this question that I have spent very little time in the military (none), but what are the rules about bringing your own weapons into combat? I think it is very enlightened (read: practical) to allow soldiers to bring their own favorite weapons to give them an edge, psychological or otherwise in a life-or-death situation.

Joe

I dont know...
I have thought alot about it and I have come down to my M43, 18"GS, a 16" WWII, or BAS.

The reason for the M43 and the 18"GS is cause they just feel like good weapons as well as really great camp knives.

The 16"WWII and BAS cause I would rather have something lighter and shorter to run with if I have to haul butt and get out of there. Ever run with a short sword or a long knife attached to your butt? It is kinda difficult (More like a pain in the a**), espically over distance. I can see doing that more often than having to hack myself out of a hairy situation. But then again, in a Desert most things are mechanized, nothing to really hide behind if there is a shootout or artillary, so you might as well go heavy and have the Track hump it for you.

Of course then there is my little 12" Sirupati that is straighter than most and holds a convex razor edge...no... needs more reach and scare factor for hand-to-hand. And yes, even in the heat of battle the "Holy Sh!*" factor and intimidation do have their place (Or so I continue to believe).

Much wisdom in your remark!...............

You can not carry a non issue weapon!

Yes it is done, yes your CO can overlook it, but "regulator army" no way jose.:p

Sam

You can not carry a non issue weapon!
If that were always true, my 20" Shop 1 sirupati would not have been given an extra sharp edge at Bagram Air Base by Sarge.

Yes it is done, yes your CO can overlook it, but "regulator army" no way jose.

I know the drill.:D

Sam

The personal weapon prohibitions under General Order #1 clearly state that you can't have "privately purchased firearms or ammunition". With the exception of switchblades knives aren't regulated, so most knife restrictions in the military have to do with state/local laws or unit SOPs. Here's an example; in my unit we used to issue Kabars until it came to our attention that Texas law sets a 5 1/2" limit for sheath knife blades (with certain exceptions). If you're in uniform and on duty, that 7" Kabar blade ain't a problem. However, if you're in civvy duds and clearly not engaged in hunting, fishing, military/law enforcement duties, that same Kabar is now an illegal weapon. To keep our young firebreathers out of trouble we switched the Kabars for 5" bladed pilot survival knives.

All fine and good in-garrison, but in a combat theatre of operations you're "on the clock" 24/7, so you can sport anything from a Randall bowie to a "horse traded" British issue golok. My young friend "Wheels" got introduced to khukuris while on a combat op with some British Royal Marines. They'd stopped one evening and set about constructing a hasty bivouac. "Wheels" is hacking away uneffectively with his Cold Steel SRK and turns to see his British teammates lopping wrist thick tree limbs like they were cooked spaghetti. The Brit lads explained that they'd been given the khuks by Ghurkhas during survival training. "Wheels" is not a slow learner, he now owns several khuks.

If I have to go again, and I might, you can bet the khuks I've accumulated will be "issued" out to my guys that don't already have one from last go around. I can always replace the khuks, but durned if I could replace a single one of them knuckleheads. Don't you worry, I'll keep one khuk for my own duffle bag.

Sarge

so you can sport anything from a Randall bowie to a "horse traded" British issue golok.

So should I read this as "you're allowed to" or "it's overlooked of you do"? BTW, either answer is perfectly OK with me, if it matters. Practicality, when you're trying not to get killed is at the top of MY list.

Just use your noggin and you'll be all right Aardvark. The JKM-1, or Kumar Karda, both make unobtrusive camp knives for general utility use. But, if you're going "outside the wire" most comments regarding khukuris go along the lines of, "hey, where can I get one of those?".

Sarge

Believe it or not I'm sitting here having spent much of the day sanding down and restaining a 15" Shop 1 sirupati that took a hit in shipment. Kami Sherpa was there at the time and took a block of American oak and rehandled it. Took a black felt pen to it to turn it black and then sprayed over it with clear laquer.

Finally couldn't stand it, being that it's now about my oldest khuk left. The other early ones went away as gifts. Anyway, it's been with me so long it deserves some Walosification.

I'm suprised no one here has posted on the Royal Gurkha Rifles and what they will be carrying/what they prefer. After all they are issued khukuris and some Gurkhas also bring buy their own and (this is the cool part) they are out of uniform if they dont have a khukri!!!
I have my 15in Dui Chirra with a British desert camo sheath cover ready to go across the pond.I ned to find some simple method of subduing the silver shine on the metal parts though.
Cheers!

Masking tape might work for you, I don't think that would leave anything stick on that Khuk of yours. Might not look that good though.

Personally I would take an 18" sirupati. Tough but lightweight. I would love to take the YCS but that sucker would get heavy after a while. Considering the dinky little bayonets that are issued these days, I would much rather have a khukuri with me.

Back