Best knife to pair with a pocket knife and saw?

Don't necessarily need specific models. More like what features would you want in a knife? The tasks would be mostly emergency splitting of wood and batoning. Of course some food prep and carving of tent poles and the like is possible. One catch though, I want this knife to be as small and light as possible but still serviceable in the roles above. Meaning no Battle Mistresses or 18 inch machetes.:D

The goal is to come up with an ultralight setup for summer. Think of the knife paired with a pruning saw and either a SAK or tactical folder.

IMO, the best all around size is a 5" blade. That size will do what you require and then some. Easy to wear on the belt.
Scott

one of the many quality 4-ish" bushcraft knives out there should do the trick

the F1 comes in at a reasonable 6 oz

you could certainly go smaller (and lighter), but sub 4" blades are going to be a little less efficient in the wood prep end of the scale

fwiw I use a WM1 for the lion's share of my backpacking trips- I use a wood burning stove, but am only prepping small stuff which it does very well; ditto on cleaning fish & birds and food prep- it's a lot of knife @ 2.5 oz

For me, if I was going to baton, split & slice, oh my (read as lions, tigers & bears...) I'd go with a little length. I'd say 6" or 7" in length...maybe 5/32" to keep the weight down. Something like this...

BCCampKnife.jpg

For me, and I do that set-up exactly is an RC6, Fiskars and a spydie.
P2020206.jpg

For me, and I do that set-up exactly is an RC6, Fiskars and a spydie.
P2020206.jpg

Well now I can't do an RC 6 because I'd be copying you. The gerber saw is what's in my pack now and my Military is even the same model with camo and satin blade.:eek:

I normally carry a pcekt knife a saw and a BK7 it worked out very well
I recently got an esee5 and it is a beast.. I'll be trying that as a smaller replacement
I imagine for cheaper version
a bk2 would work as well.

I'd look at the Moras if you want cheap. Otherwise, I'd likely go custom and get a 5 inch blade. The ESEE5 and BK2 are nice, but they are pretty heavy if you are watching your weight.

Back