Best knives for my kitchen?

After over 8 years relying almost exclusively on my 6" Henckel Chef knife, along with my Spyderco Calypso Jr., I've decided that its time to kit my kitchen out properly. The Henckel is very versatile and my only complaint with it is edge holding.

So I have two questions to seek lots of opinions:

1. Which kitchen knives are the best and why?

2. If you were kitting yourself out with *non* kitchen knives for use in your kitchen, what would you go for and why?

I haven't really set a budget, so while I'll probably end up spending $200-300 on, maybe, three knives, I'm looking for opinions on 'best' rather than 'budget'.

Looking forward to your ideas.

For real kitchen knives, I would go for Messermeister, as per my good friend's advice.

If I wanted to get a different knife for use in the kitchen, a Rinaldi TTKK would be idea. A Spyderco Temperance would be another good (yet much less expensive) choice.

Asking what is the best knife is like asking what is the best car. There isn't a definitive answer. However, if your interest is in edge holding, then I'd steer you toward the Japanese kitchen knives which have harder steel and, consequently, thinner blades and more acute bevel angles. A couple of brands with which I am intimately familiar and Global and Kai Shun from Kershaw. The former are hardened to aroun RC58 and the latter to around RC60. These will certainly hold an edge longer than the European brands.

If edge holding is all you care about then there are the ceramic bladed knives from Kyocera and Boker (Kyocera blades.) These don't do much of anything very well other than hold an edge but they will certainly hold an edge for a long time. Take care.

Thanks for your replies.

Knife Outlet--

Just to clarify, the reason I asked for 'best' is because I don't really have a strong opinion/requirement for kitchen knives, so I'm looking for as many different opinions as possible.

More important, though, are the reasons for your opinions. Coupled with my own opinions on knives in general, I hope to come away from this thread with a strong set of buying criteria, as well as some prospective brands/models.

To clarify my comment on edge holding, this isn't my only requirement, or even the most important one. I love the versatility of the Henckel, thick enough at the heel to cut through chicken bones, thin enough at the tip for fine work. What I am trying to find out is whether I can have this versatility with better edge holding, which is why I was asking about 'non' kitchen knives, as well.

All opinions are welcome. What would you choose?

I would go with Murray Carter. I bought one of his Muteki Paring knives last year, and it is now just about the only knife I use in the kitchen. I am looking to get some large models too so that I have a useful set. As you stated I think a three piece set will work real nice. If you want to keep it under $300 you might need to pick from the Muteki line, but if you choose carefully, and raise your budget a bit, you could probably get a hand forged set.

Another custom maker I have heard good things about is George Tichbourne. I have no personal experience with his blades, but have heard only good things. You should be able to get a nice three price set from him for about $300. If it matters he uses stock removal, while Carter knives are forged.

Spyderco have discontinued most of their kitchen knives, but if you can find a few that are still in stock with various dealers you will be very pleased. They simply cut better than any European-style knife I've used and their edge-holding has been impressive.

--Bob Q

Little Claw:

I like the Japanese knives for slicing, boning and fileting simply because they are sharper. The harder steel allows a more acute bevel angle. I cut mine right at 15 degrees. I like bolstered European knives for chopping, dicing, brunois etc. because they are heftier and the blade profiles are often better for the chopping motion I make with a knife. I generally cut them to 20 degrees. My knife block is about half Global and about half Wusthof and Sabatier. I use them all. Take care.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

I'm suprised no one mentioned the Cutco Kitchen Cutlery knives. They are the number 1 most sold in the US, and they're number 3 or 4 world wide. I sold these knives for a few months in my spare time and learned an awful lot about them. As far as kitchen cutlery goes, henckels is number 1 internationally, but hardly compare to Cutco knives when you know about both of them. I was givin (just to test against eachother for a few then give back) Cutco, ginsu, henckels and a couple other high end kitchen knives and none even compared to Cutco. If you want, I can give you ALOT of facts and accounts of experiance with Cutco knives. I don't have time now but if you want more info on them let me know here.
I don't use any none kitchen knives in the kitchen. Cutco knives take care of all of it.
BTW.. I don't work for Cutco or Vector anymore, I just love their knives and think you would too.

It all comes down to your style of cooking. I prefer a wide belly for moving chopped veggies over to the pot/pan, and some heft to chop with. Thats why my main use is a 6" cleaver. I use a 5.5" chef's from henkels for the detailed work when I'm chopping something like herbs when I need close to fingers without having heft if I hit fingers.

For real kitchen knives, a set of 3 is all I need. 3" paring, 5.5" chef, 6-7" cleaver... all PE. Takes care of my full range.

For non-kitchen knives being used in the kitchen, I use whatever fixed I have on me and whatever I have in my right/front pocket. Most of the time it's a pair of 4". fixed usually has belly to it, folder has a fine sharp tip and serrations. They'll do the job, but I still prefer my 5.5" chef's for most of the light work.

Check my previous kitchen knife post here

Does anyone remember R. W. Clark's post regarding Cutco? I have tried to find it a couple of times with no luck. I found it! :D

Cutco is a company with a marketing model that takes advantage of people (both sellers and buyers). If you want to help the neighbhors kid out, give them $50, don't continue to propagate this horrible company. Their knives are sold on a lot of hype to people who don't really understand what they are buying. The sellers are generally well intentioned and and ill informed. The company principals need to go on a perp walk for deceptive and miss leading marketing practices.

Friends don't let friends get taken advantage of by CUTCO!

CriTiCiZe,

You need to be de-programmed. You have been brain washed. Any custom knifemaker in good standing should be able to help you.

-------------- added/edited

Cutco Business Model

I am probably one of the biggest Cutco foes out there. I hate the company. It is dishonest and illegal. They require their salesmen to purchase a product that is only available through Cutco. That is a violation of Californias Anti Sweat shop laws. They sucker very well meaning teens and young adults (students mostly) into becoming reps. This is after one of the worst brainwashing sessions you will ever see.

They get these kids to buy the demo set. Then they send them out to hit up their freinds and family. That will normally get one or two more sales. And that will be all the sales 99% of them will be able to make. But what does Cutco care. They have made thier profit off of their employees. They do not have to pay you a set wage. They do not pay any benefits. All they have to do is set up these bogus interviews.

As far as the quality of the knives are concerned, I would prefer Ginsu! If you want to tear and rip through meat save some money and buy a hacksaw. These knives make Valor and Frost appear to be top end.

As for their Lifetime Warrantee, big fat hairy deal! Any quality kitchen knife company offers the same thing, but better. Cutco has to be sent back to the company by the customer. Other companies do not need this. Following is a true story.

I managed a retail cutlery store while in college. We had a lady bring in a beat and battered Henkels chefs knife. The lady said that it had been passed down to her from her grandmother who had bought it in the 30s or 40s. It was totally worn out. She was disappointed to hear that we would be unable to sharpen it for her. I mean this chefs knife blade looked like a paring blade it was so worn. We asked her if she had any attachment to the knife. She said that she did not. So I took the knife and handed her a brand new Four Star. She was surprised that this was free. I told her that it was part of the Henkels warrantee. After she left I stuck the blade in a shop vise we had in the back and snapped off the blade. Now the warrantee would replace the knife!

I have yet to find a Cutco rep that is willing to take me up on a long standing challenge. He/she can bring their best hunting knife to my shop. We will put it up against one of my basic hunters in a test to destruction. First knife to break in rope cutting and heavy chopping loses. If I lose I will buy what is left of the Cutco knife. If they lose they have to buy what is left of my hunter. None has been willing to put their money where their mouth is! That says it all in my book!

Unfortunately, I too worked for Cutco at one time. Big mistake!! R.W. Clark hit the nail on the head. I personally would not recommend buying/supporting Cutco.

Check out www.consumersearch.com. They collect ratings from several sources and also rate the raters. For example, their car ratings come from Car and Driver, Consumer Reports and other sources, and they tell you which sources they give the most weight to and why.

The link above is to their kitchen knife advice. Here it is in short:

1. Wusthof-Trident Grand Prix or Classic.
2. Forschner Victorinox (my recommendation if you are not a serious cook or if money is tight).
3. Tramontina Professional.

All my chef friends and the local cutlery shop that sells to chefs state that Forschner is the best. I have never seen the high end knives like Henckels, Wustoff, etc. in a real working kitchen, but I've seen plenty of Forschner. Get it with the plastic handle or rosewood, the blade is the same.

If you want serrated, as always, there's only Spyderco. Their short and long utility knives are some of my favorite presents for newlyweds.

Back