Best Kukri for general camping

You want a 17" (B)GRS.

Obviously others feel differently, but the M43- and the Sirupati- just feel wrong to me. The 15-18" AKs, 16.5-18" WWII, and 15-18" BDCs, on the other hand, feel terrific. :)

John

Here we come again to the concept that the kukri has top choose you.

For instance, Wildmike finds the 18" M43 to outperform a 20" CAK, when I find the opposite true. Or the GRS never did anything for me.

There's a kukri out there for everyone, which is why you can only be guided by these threads, but in the end, it ends up being personal.

Re: the Ka-Bar/CS KLOs vs HI. . .How many times have we seen guys who swore those KLOs are the best thing since back pockets, and can't see paying the higher price for an HI, and then later making the purchase and exclaiming "NOW I understand what you guys are talking about!"??

Yes, IMO the KLOs outperform regular machetes by a good margin, but the right HI kukri will outperform them by the same, or greater, margin.

That was what I thought it meant but I wanted to be sure. Thanks Karda!

you know i have used a himalayan import and honest to goodness they work great if saying i like something better upsets someone well get over it that KLO kabar is badass and works great and cheap. dude wanted to know what would not break the bank and still be good value. I would still recommend he check all of them out.

Except this isn't the open forum or the All Khuks & KLO's Discussion forum, it is the HI forum so you should honor that and leave the discussion to HI only.

That is simply how it is done in each and every one of the business' areas.
Maybe it is because you are relatively new here that you don't understand this?
Just trying to help you understand the reaction so you don't get another hack from the mods. ;)

My first "kukri" was a Kabar kukri-machete so I guess I can give my opinions on the matter. Right off the bat, the hollow grind on it proved to be quite annoying (terrible idea for choppers) - it got stuck in practically everything. I eventually convexed it, and it admittedly worked better afterward. However, I picked it up with the intention of replacing both my machete and hatchet for camping (which a proper kukri would allow for). Simply put, it just doesn't have the mass or thickness to take care of the chores a hatchet is needed for and hence isn't worthy of the "kurki" title - it's really just more of a forward bent machete. Seeing as though the Cold Steel version is even thinner than the kabar, I really don't see it being fairing any better.

Here's a picture to illustrate - the Kabar kukri machete's spine vs an HI 18" Vojpure's:
P1020014.jpg

I've got an 18 inch Masterpiece by old Sher and a 15 inch BAS. The Masterpiece is a wonderful chopper, although at 2 1/2 pounds, is a bit heavy to carry camping. I think the best all around khuk is the BAS. It chops, isn't heavy at about 1 1/4 pounds, and can do fine work when needed. For instance, it and the Masterpiece can cut an acorn squash in half quicker and better than a cleaver. My two cents. Uncle Bill praised the WWII as the best all around khuk and other forum members have agreed. Cpl Punishment said it best; in the end, it's your personal preference.

Thanks for all the advice guys :) . I ended buying an AngKhola off the net for $75 shipped, though I'm unsure of where it originates from. It's a 17" kukri with a 10.5" blade, 3/8" thick. I just got it today, and I must say it looks like a mighty fine knife. I can tell I would've been better served by getting one with a wood handle instead of the black buffalo horn. My tendency to have sweaty palms might necessitate amending the handle with something that provides better friction/grip. The blade is solid and it came pretty sharp. However, I don't think it's razor sharp, though I've never had one of these before to be able to tell what level of sharpness it should have. Sharp enough to cut through paper with just a little pressure, but not sharp enough to taste my blood yet I don't think ;) .

IMGP0461.jpg

IMGP0462.jpg

IMGP0460.jpg

not an Himalayan Imports Blade...

Too bad you didn't give them a try.

not an Himalayan Imports Blade...

Too bad you didn't give them a try.

Well, he said he got it off the internet, I assume he means used.

That being the case, it could very well be an HI product.

I have a 25" CAK that's sterile -- no UB (obviously predating his death), no Bir Gorkha symbol, no kami marks, just the cho and sword of Shive like the one pictured.

And I got it straight from Yangdu.

I think the real early HI products were like this, before they really took off here in the states, one of the old timers or Yangdu herself could confirm or deny.

Ironhandjohn. I like what you've done with your M-43 sheath. The sheath to my original M-43 is fairly beat up after the years in the woods. I've been considering doing the same to mine.

Sharp enough to cut through paper with just a little pressure, but not sharp enough to taste my blood yet I don't think ;) .

Well, I'll have to take that back :p. Already. I picked up the blade this morning and foolishly let my hand slip up too far the handle, to where my index finger got jabbed by the notch pretty good. That was my carelessness, however, I see no purpose in having a sharp protruding point that faces TOWARDS the hand on a blade that has no hilt/guard, so I'm gonna have to fix that...

Also need to get on wrapping up the blade for times when I want to practice swinging it, and all other times when im not actually using it to cut something. I think gauze should work.

well, you're the expert.

I have a 25" CAK that's sterile -- no UB (obviously predating his death), no Bir Gorkha symbol, no kami marks, just the cho and sword of Shive like the one pictured.

I think the real early HI products were like this, before they really took off here in the states, one of the old timers or Yangdu herself could confirm or deny.

I contacted her about it, and she said look for the kami mark, of which it has none. So it's either an early HI product or maybe a khukuri house one. Or maybe from somewhere else. Who knows :/ .

What's the best type of edge to keep on the kukri? It has a convex edge, and I'm thinking thats best. Would it still be functional with a V or other bevel type edge? Are they about equal in sharpness or should i expect the convex edge to not be so sharp?

Ironhandjohn. I like what you've done with your M-43 sheath. The sheath to my original M-43 is fairly beat up after the years in the woods. I've been considering doing the same to mine.

This was Sarki Shop's work. I originally wanted just the Sasquatch Special frog, but he re-covered the sheath in black, soft cowhide, also. Not sure why and Terry didn't offer a reason, but the leather is almost buttery soft. I also had him make an OD cloth cover, which is held on with the frog. In the tinder pouch I have a GI magnesium firestarter. Believe it or not it helps keep the frog from sliding further up the sheath. I think I may have to wet the frog down and let it shrink-fit, as it's a tad loose.

should i expect the convex edge to not be so sharp?

You can make a convex edge as sharp as you want. I convex every blade I have - even folders like Benchmade. The edge lasts longer & its so easy to touch 'em up with a mouse pad, sandpaper, then charged leather strop. Even simpletons like myself can maintain a sharp convex edge!

Back