Best leatherman for kayak

austin37

Gold Member
Putting together a repair and supplies kit for my kayak adventures.. between a PST, Rebar, Orginal wave, Orginal supertool and super tool 200.. which would be the best muti tool for kayaking needs?

I think LMs have a reputation for being a bit rust prone. Not sure if they’d be my first choice for kayaking. Maybe a victorinox spirit?
I should have stated those are the muti tools I currently have, and would be selecting one I alraady have as best all around. Also have no experience with Victorinox but thank you for suggestion, I’ll definitely have to look into the spirit.

I hope it’s not an inflatable kayak!

80% of my multitool use is the pliers.

Are you fishing off the kayak? The only thing I can think of is having a serrated blade for cutting line/rope and being able to have a lanyard tied off in case ya drop it.

I hope it’s not an inflatable kayak!

80% of my multitool use is the pliers.

Are you fishing off the kayak? The only thing I can think of is having a serrated blade for cutting line/rope and being able to have a lanyard tied off in case ya drop it.
I assumed there was camping

From the ones listed I’d say the Rebar - simply because it’s the easiest to replace, it’s the only one of the listed that’s still in production. And it is a great, capable tool on top of that.
Not sure what are the particular needs with kayaking but if one hand accessible and longer blades are needed - then the Wave.
I definitely wouldn’t risk loosing a ST200.

I'd take the wave with the lanyard loop ring making it a neck knife or at least quickly accessible. One handed opening of two blades is very useful. Especially on a kayak

I think all of those options would be very well suited for kayak so I’d say whichever you’d be the least unhappy about losing. Things have a tendency to get lost on the water in my experience

The Rebar is a capable tool, and I'm assuming you are just wanting it for repair use, so then a bit of rust prohibitive on it pre-trip will do fine. For "in the boat" use, get tools that are more task specific in case you drop them, so a couple methods for de-hooking if you fish, and a dedicated vest knife if you have the skills for it and have a reason why you might need it. Without knowing your style and skill, I can't really offer more. I'm no great sea kayak legend, but I've done enough to know that the only thing you want on or in your vest is stuff you know you need all the time, otherwise it's better off secured in the hatches or bags. I've very nearly lost gear that way, and none of the really hard core touring guys I worked with had much more than their knife, radio and EPRB on their vest (well, and tow belt when it was appropriate.)

Whatever you don't mind getting wet and/or rusty. Unless you put in in a waterproof bag.

Speaking from personal experience, dry bags are not immune to moisture condensation. Whatever air is trapped inside the bag can have its moisture condensed into tiny droplets when the temperature goes down. So you need to force as much air out as possible when you are packing your stuff in the bag, and keep an eye on it, especially when it gets cold. You might try putting a silica gel pack inside the dry bag. It couldn't hurt.

If it is going to do more storing than using I may suggest a gerber, its cheaper and may be less prone to rust. Hate for you to buy a surge/charge/wave and use it after 6 months of storing and find it rusted to sh#t

Speaking from personal experience, dry bags are not immune to moisture condensation. Whatever air is trapped inside the bag can have its moisture condensed into tiny droplets when the temperature goes down. So you need to force as much air out as possible when you are packing your stuff in the bag, and keep an eye on it, especially when it gets cold. You might try putting a silica gel pack inside the dry bag. It couldn't hurt.

I agree. Personally, I only ever carried a Spyderco Pacific Salt.

I prefer a SAK in the dry bag. I'm not trying to use it until I stop somewhere, so I zip lock and wrap in a towel.

And something super cheap, serrated, capable of one hand opening, clipped securely to the forward bungee cord (ws tsunami 140), not my pocket which is generally swim shorts. It doesn't move, easy enough to access, and I've not lost one in 30 years. If I do, I'm out a few dollars, nothing nice.

If I may toss out a couple of thoughts: I wouldn't carry anything super expensive that could go in the drink. Like, I carry a Charge TTi everyday, and I have no problem going out into the wilds with it. Because I will be a lot less likely to drop it and lose it when I am using it than if I were in kayak. Drop it into some leaves, "Oopsie daisy!". Drop it into a 40' deep lake "mutha$&#!".

Of the Leatherman's I would look at, I would maybe go for the Bond if you just wanted basic. If you think you might want more function and a one-handed blade, maybe the Curl.

Back