Recommendation? Best Lefty Spydies

I am a lefty and so far for me from Spyderco this really only has eliminated the Compression Lock knives but what do people recommend for a lefty? I will say I have tried and handled the Manix 2 and I didn't like how that lock mechanism felt in hand when actuating the mechanism so I think that style of lock is also out. I personally find the standard right hand design liner and frame locks to be very comfortable in the left hand across all makers. I am always intrigued by various locking mechanisms but beyond a slip joint I wont knives that are one hand open and close.

The #1 for my curiosity is the Smock given it is a button actuated compression lock it looks like it would alleviate my problems with the very right handed nature of standard compression lock models. I believe there has been a hand full of lefty PM2s or something produced in the past but that is just not worth hunting for in my book.

I will also note that I am not interested in any knife made in China I understand that those with the Spyderco name may be a well made product but they are out for me. I am also interested some in the fidget factor of knives so the more fun a knife is to fidget with the better but it needs to be a solid working knife first.

The #1 for my curiosity is the Smock given it is a button actuated compression lock it looks like it would alleviate my problems with the very right handed nature of standard compression lock models.

Take my opinion as a righty with a healthy pile of salt, but I open/close/fidget with the Smock in my left hand all the time because it's so fluid even as a righty (doubly so now that I've removed the secondary detent).

I can flip, thumb flick, slow roll, Spydie flick, "button flick," Spydie drop, and close the Smock lefty with my eyes closed (literally). :thumbsup:

Sub'd because I'm interested in this as well. I'm a lefty, but because everything is mostly right hand in nature I have grown up using my hand hand for most things and actually prefer it that way now. But it is intriguing.

Lefty here also.
No need to hunt for the left hand PM2 and military. They are in production and readily available. I have found Spyderco back lock very easy to use on both Chaparral and Delica but not in a fidgety way.
BladesWeLove will do their PM2 Ultra left hand if you are in to aftermarket and the mechanism is similar to the Smock.

I feel like the smock makes more sense for a lefty than a righty. Highly suggest trying one out.

Give the Manix a good try and it will grow on you. It took me a week or so of constant carry and fidgeting but I now love the knife.

obviously your best bets are the left handed military and para.

The lefty Para is not so easy to find it would seem and I haven't seen the Para 3 in lefty. The Smock is definitely high on my list and I would think that button makes it very ambidextrous. I am happy to see more supporting it as an option definitely adds to my confidence in it. I think my issue with the Manix 2 is primarily with a hope that it would feel much more like an Axis lock but it was far from it. I also like the looks of the Brouwer to add to my list of options it is just a simple frame lock but it is an attractive design to me.

The lefty Para is not so easy to find it would seem and I haven't seen the Para 3 in lefty. The Smock is definitely high on my list and I would think that button makes it very ambidextrous. I am happy to see more supporting it as an option definitely adds to my confidence in it. I think my issue with the Manix 2 is primarily with a hope that it would feel much more like an Axis lock but it was far from it. I also like the looks of the Brouwer to add to my list of options it is just a simple frame lock but it is an attractive design to me.

All the major retailers have the PM2 in stock - why are you saying it is not so easy to find?
They don't make a Para 3 lefty.

I think mostly in only retailers it gets lost in the search with the variety of PM2 options, and I didn't think there was a PM3 lefty but I wish there was, but mostly the lefty PM2 is difficult to find in a local store to really try it out.

I would try a normal pm2. Im super left handed and its my favourite knife. I find it very easy to open and close with my left hand. The smock is awesome for lefties as well and tons of fun to fidget with.

Lefty here, I’ve yet to find a knife I couldn’t use left handed. Now there are some, like a righty specific Sebenza with right only thumbstud and a few others that aren’t easy but those aside, liner and framelocks are simple. I use standard PM2 and 3 all the time so not sure why you ruled the compression lock out?
Love my Smock! It great in either hand, very fidgety, thin grind, small in pocket, super comfortable in many grips. Some complain about how far back from the cutting-edge your index sits but my thumb lands in a perfect spot and ends up giving me MORE control than other knives where index is closer to the edge.
And some models like the Techno or Swayback are actually ideal lefty as we get to Spydieflick while the righties can’t.
Blades Canada, last I saw has the lefty PM2 in stock if you really feel the need though.

Delica, endura, matriarch and police are all lefty configuable. The lefty in my family likes the delica and matriarch.

I had a Delica 4 I didn't really like it so I sold it but as far as left handed use it didn't have any problems that related to that.

S spyderg I'm glad you have no troubles with the compression lock when it is configured for right handed use but for me I can't operate it comfortably or easily with my left hand.

The smock is a great fidget knife, but I can’t make the ergos work for any kind of prolonged cutting—still can’t find a comfortable way to hold it. And the notch frequently gets caught when you’re doing big cuts, like breaking down boxes. But it’s a lot of fun to flick.

Compression locks suck for lefties. I love the shape and aesthetics of my Ikuchi, but it takes too hands to close, which really detracts from the experience. Liner locks can be closed one-handed, but that’s living dangerously.

As far as I can tell, lefties are limited to back locks, the smock, the lefty pm2, bulky bb locks, and frustration/risk with everything else

Back