Best long-lasting flashlight?

With all of the impending blackouts here in California, I was wondering what is a good efficient flashlight with a long battery life? I'm not so much concerned with brightness, (I've got my UKE 4C for that) but I'd like to get something I can have on for extended periods of time. Are Krill lamps the best?

Alan,
Take a look at some of the better LED flashlights currently available. There's a 3 LED bulb light that runs on AAs, as well as a 7 LED bulb light that runs on Cs, and each will give you about 100 hours of useable light per set of batteries. I believe they both give off near full intensity light for about 40 hours. They are decently bright but certainly not in the same class as Maglite or Surefire. Could be just what you're looking for.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Bronco,
Now if you'd have written "in the same class as SteamLight and SureFire"
I would have let this go...
But
Maglight and SureFire are not in the same class. Nowhere close. You're making a pretty big class if you include Thurst SSC and a push-bike. Sure you can get from A to B using both, but honestly!

SureFire are quality illumination tools for those that require incredible amounts of high quality white light in a perfect beam from a tough small light-weight reliable high-tech precision designed and engineered tool.

MagLight are for those that don't.

The SureFire E1 puts MagLights to shame.

Some LED-lights put MagLights to shame, like the PhotonII beats the MiniMags to dust!

Alan, try heading over to www.CandlePowerForums.com
The LED forum is full of people who can help you.

I think what you are looking for is an LED light, great for illumating an area. LED lights fall between a regular flashlight and a compact fluorescent lantern. I would suggest a Lightwave 2000 as a good starter LED light. You can find tham on ebay or Glowbug or a couple of other places. Here is Glowbugs site, they have a LOT of LED lights.

http://www.glow-bug.com/products/flashlights.html

Hope this helps

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

For long lasting light, I like the eternalight line. These are 4 LED lights which run off of 3 AA batteries. They're decently bright, but very flexible in that they have multiple modes (strobe, timer, SOS, and some others), the best of which I think is the ability to adjust the brightness (and thus battery life). They claim 700 hours of burn time from one set of batteries, and I've never changed my batteries yet.

They're a little pricey, but I picked some up on E-bay for less than what they're supposed to sell for and I'm happy with them.

cj
s002cjs@yahoo.com

Alistair,
Please accept my sincerest apologies for having insinuated that Surefires and Maglites are in the same class.
wink.gif
smile.gif
I can assure you that I have no trouble telling the difference between the light output of my M6 and a multi D cell Maglite.
smile.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Back